Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's defend the Shelby GT500!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 02:28 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Let's defend the Shelby GT500!

It's not the same car, and the GT500 still isn't close to comparing with the vette......History has taught us all that a Corvette is the American mack daddy of sportscars, next comes the Mustang, than the camaro. We are not competition for the corvette's. Chevy is not scared of possible 'Vette buyers running out and buying Mustangs. The cars will never be the same, evenif if one day have the same HP or track times.

The cars are in two totally different classes, and besides it's hard to defend something when you have to pay on avg. about 75K to get one and still get your a$$ handed to you by a stock vette....Nice try Ford better luck next time.

JMHO......
Old 10-03-2006, 02:41 AM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

mustang gt---great value
gt500 at going rate---not even close
Old 10-03-2006, 03:33 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Barbarino

Ford has track package, it's called a C6 or a used C5.. I love my Stang, my family has had 11 of them, but it's not a vette, never will be a vette. The problem is since the z28 and Forumla got canned because of the Stang, Ford and Stang owners reach and try to compare thier cars to the next American push rod V8, the vette. There has never been a non dissapointing Cobra because the Cobra is at the same level as a vette and it simply can't be. Every base line vette beats the cobra as an all around car. When the Camaro comes back out, we can all go back to comparing our stangs to them until then, relax, our cars are still great. And for the idiots who buy Roush or Saleen $51,000 Mustangs, get a clue, buy a vette if you want that much performance and save a few dollars and get a all around better car.

Hmmmm interesting POV....I guess I'm supposed to assume that ALL Corvettes are superior to ALL Mustangs?????? Didn't a Texas chicken farmer by the name of Carroll Shelby wipe the smile off of Zora Duntov's face in B-production racing in '65-'66-'67?
You're telling me that the bloated '78-'82 'Vettes were more agile than the Fox Mustang of '79????? YES the current 'Vette is a great car(actually from the C4 and up)...but I think this topic is moot....The GT500 can go around a track as nearly as fast as a standard C6, with a much more archaic suspension and nearly 700lb more weight....all around better car? Of course not(from a pure performance POV), at sticker, a better buy? Depends on your needs and wants(do you really think a standard C6 will retain it's value as well as a GT500?) Aren't '03-'04 Cobras still selling in the high 20's-low 30's? What are C5 Vettes selling for?(in comparison to their original purchase price?). The new Z06 is an awesome machine(the only new GM car I'd consider, I said car not trucks).
But 'Vettes, like Porsches, Ferraris and the Ford GT are just toys IMO...not practical at all...the Mustang has to make compromises in order to sell 200,000+ unit a year....wow....something new! To compare a current gen 'Vette to a current gen Mustang...yeah, like stated above....wait 'till the Camaro shows up...but something has to give. That's why the Camaro/Firebird twins met their previous demise...they became impractical..too big on the outside, tiny little car on the inside....made a great handling car, low profile, wide, slick aero body...but isn't that what the 'Vette's supposed to do??? GM shot themselves in the foot. Maybe they'll learn from Ford's success(so far) with the S197. You know what's funny about all this GM vs Ford talk is? If Ford never made the original 2 seat 'Bird in '55, the Corvette would've been axed....Ford made the 'Stang in '64...Voila! Everybody jumps onboard to make pony cars. Now Ford introduces Retro S197.....hmmmmmm....seems to be a trend here....I'm a Ford loyalist....my first car was Ford of Europe's version of the pony car, the Ford(some say Mercury) Capri....always lusted after the GT Mustang after being re-introduced in '82.
I will say this, the Mustang's a better made car than the 'Vette(price for price)...have you been in a 'Vette? $55K for that trashy interior? Yes, the GT500 is pushing those boundaries as well.....pretty lo-buck interior for $45K(well as least on paper). Okay a Corolla make them all look silly for $18K
Old 10-03-2006, 04:17 AM
elburrito99
3rd Gear Member

Ford has track package, it's called a C6 or a used C5.. I love my Stang, my family has had 11 of them, but it's not a vette, never will be a vette. The problem is since the z28 and Forumla got canned because of the Stang, Ford and Stang owners reach and try to compare thier cars to the next American push rod V8, the vette. There has never been a non dissapointing Cobra because the Cobra is at the same level as a vette and it simply can't be. Every base line vette beats the cobra as an all around car. When the Camaro comes back out, we can all go back to comparing our stangs to them until then, relax, our cars are still great. And for the idiots who buy Roush or Saleen $51,000 Mustangs, get a clue, buy a vette if you want that much performance and save a few dollars and get a all around better car.

I agree with much of what you say. The Vette is a different animal than the Mustang. But I take strong exception to your dig at Roush and Saleen owners. I'll admit that I'm not impartial in this discussion, as I just bought an '06 Saleen S281 supercharged convertible. I considered a convertible Vette but didn't buy one for several reasons:
(1) The handling difference may not be as vast as many people think. At least one magazine (MM & FF) had the supercharged Saleen neck and neck with the C6's lap times around a track.
(2) The Saleen has four seats. As a young father, this means a lot to me. Simply put, I want to be able to take my two young kids out for a ride on a Sunday afternoon (or fit one adult back there if the need arises).
(3) The Mustang is a muscle car, the Vette is not. The two cars offer different very driving and sensory experiences. Similar to the 911 vs. Vette thing: some people want the German refinement and the whine of the 911's straight 6, while others prefer American brashness and the rumble of a V-8.
(4) I far prefer the looks (and exclusivity) of the Saleen over the Vette. And apparently a lot of folks out there agree. Watch a C6 drive down the street, into a car meet, etc., and then watch a Saleen do the same. I would bet that 9 times out of 10, the Saleen draws twice as many looks, questions, comments, etc.

Perhaps the best way to explain why some people still buy Saleens despite the Vette's admittedly superior performance numbers is to tell you of the reaction my friend (who owns a n/a 911) had when I first pulled up to his office last week in the Saleen. Even though his 911 is clearly the "superior" car in terms of engineering, performance numbers, racing history, etc., my friend took one look at the Saleen, heard the exhaust rumble, and dropped his jaw with an expression that would best be described as unadulterated lust. In essence, my friend said "I know my car should outrun this thing, but I want the Saleen." Would I expect everyone to have this sort of reaction? Of course not. But it explains why some folks buy "inferior" Saleens instead of C6 Vettes (and perhaps why some folks by Vipers instead of Z06 Vettes or 911 Turbos). Sometimes the numbers don't tell the whole story.

Old 10-03-2006, 12:13 PM
ProStang
1st Gear Member

GT 500 is a over priced and over weight pig !! Does that HELP ???

A Vett is a WAY better buy for the coin and faster.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:35 PM
casdds11

sell the gt 500 for 37k and you'd probably get some Vette guys to come over, otherwise it's going to get embrassing if you get passed by a soccer mom in her Cayenne or BMW 3 series with the kids waving to you.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:23 PM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

IMHO
4 pass Coupe vs 2 pass Roadster, not the same class of car.
Is the Whorevette offered in 6cyl-GT-and Shelby ? auto or stick ?
The MUSTANG is the "working man's muscle car" and the ch**y is the "yuppie's muscle car"
Compare MSRP (these obscene dealer mark ups) will go away. $45K vs $65K
FORD sold 300,000+ MUSTANGS in '05-'06, how may Whorevettes were sold ?
When GM comes out with a product that compares in styling, performance and afFORDability of the MUSTANG, I'll be glad to debate with those guys. Until then, don't let the vette ppl, get us worked up.
[sm=itsok.gif][sm=smiley20.gif][sm=trust_me.gif]
Old 10-03-2006, 03:15 PM
Rock36
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nonstopred

ORIGINAL: Ride Of The Month

which car are you talking about nonstopred?
gt500

(around the track)

5) Corvette, 3:09.3/79.9, 136.5, .93
8) Shelby GT500, 3:11.0/79.2, 132.8, .88
I might be missing something, but for a car that has a poor weight distribution compared to the corvette, much heavier than the corvette, and has a solid rear axle aren't those some pretty close figures?

The corvette is less than 2 seconds faster. I would think that is well within driver skill.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:06 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LegallyTorchRED

IMHO
4 pass Coupe vs 2 pass Roadster, not the same class of car.
Is the Whorevette offered in 6cyl-GT-and Shelby ? auto or stick ?
The MUSTANG is the "working man's muscle car" and the ch**y is the "yuppie's muscle car"
Compare MSRP (these obscene dealer mark ups) will go away. $45K vs $65K
FORD sold 300,000+ MUSTANGS in '05-'06, how may Whorevettes were sold ?
When GM comes out with a product that compares in styling, performance and afFORDability of the MUSTANG, I'll be glad to debate with those guys. Until then, don't let the vette ppl, get us worked up.
[sm=itsok.gif][sm=smiley20.gif][sm=trust_me.gif]
A beer for the man![sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old 10-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Barbarino
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: elburrito99

I agree with much of what you say. The Vette is a different animal than the Mustang. But I take strong exception to your dig at Roush and Saleen owners. I'll admit that I'm not impartial in this discussion, as I just bought an '06 Saleen S281 supercharged convertible. I considered a convertible Vette but didn't buy one for several reasons:
(1) The handling difference may not be as vast as many people think. At least one magazine (MM & FF) had the supercharged Saleen neck and neck with the C6's lap times around a track.
(2) The Saleen has four seats. As a young father, this means a lot to me. Simply put, I want to be able to take my two young kids out for a ride on a Sunday afternoon (or fit one adult back there if the need arises).
(3) The Mustang is a muscle car, the Vette is not. The two cars offer different very driving and sensory experiences. Similar to the 911 vs. Vette thing: some people want the German refinement and the whine of the 911's straight 6, while others prefer American brashness and the rumble of a V-8.
(4) I far prefer the looks (and exclusivity) of the Saleen over the Vette. And apparently a lot of folks out there agree. Watch a C6 drive down the street, into a car meet, etc., and then watch a Saleen do the same. I would bet that 9 times out of 10, the Saleen draws twice as many looks, questions, comments, etc.

Perhaps the best way to explain why some people still buy Saleens despite the Vette's admittedly superior performance numbers is to tell you of the reaction my friend (who owns a n/a 911) had when I first pulled up to his office last week in the Saleen. Even though his 911 is clearly the "superior" car in terms of engineering, performance numbers, racing history, etc., my friend took one look at the Saleen, heard the exhaust rumble, and dropped his jaw with an expression that would best be described as unadulterated lust. In essence, my friend said "I know my car should outrun this thing, but I want the Saleen." Would I expect everyone to have this sort of reaction? Of course not. But it explains why some folks buy "inferior" Saleens instead of C6 Vettes (and perhaps why some folks by Vipers instead of Z06 Vettes or 911 Turbos). Sometimes the numbers don't tell the whole story.

I should have clarified my post. Out of the 11 stangs, 2 were saleens, 91 and 95, if you toss in my brothers XP8 Saleen, we've had 3.
I fully understand what you mean, I wouldn't be caught dead in a 911, no real man would drive one. For 911 money, i'd get the Viper even Clarkston loves the viper and he hates all American cars.. The saleen is sweet and the 4 seats make sense, but I still feel the Saleen and others are still too pricey and when Saleen debuts a Camaro all Saleen stang owners will revolt.

Quick Reply: Let's defend the Shelby GT500!