Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tinted for safety

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 10:12 PM
ohfiveride
2nd Gear Member

Default tinted for safety

i was just reading the OH DEER post before and thinking how lucky i am not to get shards off glass out of my eye bc a deer shattered my window.....i ALWAYS tint all of my windows and when clueless friends of mine ask why i say bc of #1 privacy...#2 bc it will save my eyes one day by keeping all of the shattered glass in one big peice then inside my eyelids........does anyone else have this same train of though?
Old 10-02-2006, 10:16 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: tinted for safety

ORIGINAL: ohfiveride

i was just reading the OH DEER post before and thinking how lucky i am not to get shards off glass out of my eye bc a deer shattered my window.....i ALWAYS tint all of my windows and when clueless friends of mine ask why i say bc of #1 privacy...#2 bc it will save my eyes one day by keeping all of the shattered glass in one big peice then inside my eyelids........does anyone else have this same train of though?
Yeah I didnt tint for safety just so that I can look through my windows without people being able to see me. Gotta love the 5%... able to see out but not in. Good thought though... didnt really know that tint would help keep the glass together but it makes sense.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:21 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Interesting, never saw tint as a safety device. I wonder if the insurance will give me a discount....Ha!
Old 10-02-2006, 11:34 PM
stratjakt
2nd Gear Member

That's why the glass is laminated. Tint won't count for crap in an impact. That film is so thin, you just look at it funny and it tears.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:52 PM
VnCist00
2nd Gear Member

dude, you kno that all cars are made so that the glass can withstand an impact and not shatter into your face, some better than others, however, there is not way, just like the guy abover me said, that tint wil hold glass together. IT was probably the tint that made u not see the DEER!
Old 10-02-2006, 11:58 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VnCist00

dude, you kno that all cars are made so that the glass can withstand an impact and not shatter into your face, some better than others, however, there is not way, just like the guy abover me said, that tint wil hold glass together. IT was probably the tint that made u not see the DEER!
From the story and the look of the damage, it wasnt his wife that hit the deer, but actually the deer that hit her. So tinted windows wouldnt have mattered in this situation, and wouldnt negatively affect her vision. (Assuming the windows were even tinted in the first place. He didnt say if they were or not.)
Old 10-03-2006, 12:00 AM
itsafordthing2
1st Gear Member

i must disagree, i had a mini van that i had the windows tinted (5%) , gave it to my sister she was rear ended, rear window shatterd and i was able to pick 85% of the glass up in one piece. no glass went past the rear seat, i was really surprized that the tint held together that well. so in saying that , yea it could be used as a safety point IMO
Old 10-03-2006, 12:19 AM
VnCist00
2nd Gear Member

glass is made that way. its made to not shatter completely. There is something in the glass that holds it together. the tint sounds like a ridiculous idea, and from a logical perspective it only would help if you were going 3 miles an hour into a horizontal object. but even then, the glass wouldnt break.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:23 AM
Playboy06
2nd Gear Member

5% Tint (What I have also) Is so Dangerous at night! Even with the lights I can barely can see! But I have a 5 back windows done!
Old 10-03-2006, 12:27 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Playboy06

5% Tint (What I have also) Is so Dangerous at night! Even with the lights I can barely can see! But I have a 5 back windows done!
I have my windows down 95% of the time anyways, so the only time I have a problem with the tint is when I have the windows up at night and I need to turn.. otherwise I can see headlights and cars behind/beside me perfectly fine..

Quick Reply: tinted for safety