Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is BP gas actually "better" than others?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 12:02 PM
NEPATS
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Is BP gas actually "better" than others?

The gas cap advert is a marketing deal that was done between BP and Ford 2 years ago. One of my best freinds works on the BP marketing team that developed the deal. I remember him telling me about it at the gym a while ago. They have a huge corporate campus here in suburban Chicago. Anyway, they do have the best stations and those Wild Bean coffee stores in them are awesome. Oh and the deal, big money son, big money. anyway you slice it they are all blood sucking petroleum companies anyway.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:04 PM
raptorkingcobra
1st Gear Member

I only use Sunoco fuel in all my cars.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:35 PM
Arrow
2nd Gear Member

I use whatever's cheap, available, or doesn't have a line. Time spent at the pump is driving time wasted. And unless the price diff is greater than 10c, I'm not gonna get senior-citizen about it and throw down over a few lowsey cents a gallon.

I don't know whether BP is better, or different, from any other gas. I don't have a mass spectrometer...and I doubt anyone else here does either. As far as I can tell, it all looks like cheap beer and my car apparently needs it to go fast.

The BP stuff on the gas cap is lame. Soon as I find a replacement cap, I'm get'n rid of this one. If I can't find a replacement, I'm painting it or something. Maybe I'll just sand it off...or chrome it just for kicks...

Old 10-04-2006, 01:10 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

I highly doubt that just because Ford put the BP logo on the cap that somebody would be influenced to to there. Heck ... you totally forget about it until your are already at a gas station ready to pump. They should have had the dash say "50 miles left ... better find a BP station" instead of "50 miles left until E" ... that would have been something ...
Old 10-04-2006, 01:12 PM
jt14894
2nd Gear Member

Huh!
I didn't even notice the BP label on my gas cap, but I've been buying BP gas for years way back when they were still Amoco Gas. I haven't had any issues using BP gas so I'll continue to use it.

There are BPs that are company owned/operated and then there are ones that are independently owned.
If a BP station is independently owned, they can get their gas from wherever they choose and, like other posters said, most gas comes from the same place or from different distributors other than BP. You won't be able to tell so you're only going by the name.
A long time ago, my Pops used to own a Texaco station and rarely did he get gas directly from Texaco. It was usually bought from a small distributor called Whetstone oil.
So, if you think you're buying as at a BP it may or may not be BP gas, but its definitely gasoline from some place.

On a side note, every time I fill up, I use my BP credit card and get a 5% rebate for every gas purchase. Also, I get 2% for travel and dining and 1% for all other purchases. I charge pretty much everything on it and so it adds up every month. Once the rebate reaches $25, they send me a $25 gas card. With gas prices the way they are, I'll take anything that can help me save a little $$$ at the pump.
Other gas companies (Chevron, Shell, etc.) have similar cash back and rebate programs so, IMO, its worth it for those of you who don't already have one.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:38 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dmhines

I highly doubt that just because Ford put the BP logo on the cap that somebody would be influenced to to there. Heck ... you totally forget about it until your are already at a gas station ready to pump. They should have had the dash say "50 miles left ... better find a BP station" instead of "50 miles left until E" ... that would have been something ...
Bahaha that wouldve been hilarious!
Old 10-04-2006, 02:44 PM
dotbomb
3rd Gear Member

One difference is if you live in Cali your BP gas is refined Alaskan crude mostly. That is until that source dries up.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:00 PM
goxley11
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NEPATS

The gas cap advert is a marketing deal that was done between BP and Ford 2 years ago. One of my best freinds works on the BP marketing team that developed the deal. I remember him telling me about it at the gym a while ago. They have a huge corporate campus here in suburban Chicago. Anyway, they do have the best stations and those Wild Bean coffee stores in them are awesome. Oh and the deal, big money son, big money. anyway you slice it they are all blood sucking petroleum companies anyway.
They also offer a 4% rebate if you use a Chase BP Visa card at a BP station. The rebate is 1% if you use their card at other stations. Every couple months you earn enough rebate points for them to send you a $25 BP gift card. That's a free tank of gas in my part of the country.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14894/164C42D5501E46EE8D5A120BFF147CE3.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-04-2006, 05:03 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I know around me in Michigan, all BP stations have 93 octane where as other gas stations have 92. I'm not sure if that 1 octane difference is real.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:53 PM
callahan
3rd Gear Member

Sunoco 94 Ultra goes in mine.

Quick Reply: Is BP gas actually "better" than others?