Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body work finished up, some questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 05:51 AM
|UCF|chron
2nd Gear Member

Default Body work finished up, some questions

on was on my to get food from my freinds apartment complex, and as im leaving this guy gets my attention from his car going into the complex, and he said he could give me a free estiate to fix my car right now. my car had been hit by my neighbor over the summer on the fron left fender. turns ot this guy works for a body shop, and had his own tools and offered to do the job for cheap. i had been to get other estimates and they were all in the 950-1000 range, so when he said he'd do it for 350, i was skeptical. but i couldn really afford 350 so i talked him down to 250 probaly oculdve gone lower. any wayskm they did the work and they did a real nice job. they went out and got the right color paint and did everything legit.
now heres the only thing. they put on this wax they told me that protects the paint while its still dring, and that i was supposed to wash it off in 4-8 hours, but i got preoccupied and just got to my car a little bit ago, like 10 hours after they finished, and the wax is like really on there, like it dried. i scraped some off thing my finger nails and i can see that it cn come off without hamring the paint, it jus i dunno the easiest and safest way to ash it out. im thinking some sort o liquid and a towel/paper towel/rag?
ill try to get pic tommorrow
Old 10-04-2006, 06:12 AM
GM Supercar
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Body work finished up, some questions

Strange. It's my understanding that new paint finishes are NOT supposed to be waxed for 2-3 months. I wonder what they actually used. If it really is wax, try a quick detailer to dissolve it and buff it off. If that doesn't work, you can try washing with Dawn.

Greg
Old 10-04-2006, 06:50 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: |UCF|chron

on was on my to get food from my freinds apartment complex, and as im leaving this guy gets my attention from his car going into the complex, and he said he could give me a free estiate to fix my car right now. my car had been hit by my neighbor over the summer on the fron left fender. turns ot this guy works for a body shop, and had his own tools and offered to do the job for cheap. i had been to get other estimates and they were all in the 950-1000 range, so when he said he'd do it for 350, i was skeptical. but i couldn really afford 350 so i talked him down to 250 probaly oculdve gone lower. any wayskm they did the work and they did a real nice job. they went out and got the right color paint and did everything legit.
now heres the only thing. they put on this wax they told me that protects the paint while its still dring, and that i was supposed to wash it off in 4-8 hours, but i got preoccupied and just got to my car a little bit ago, like 10 hours after they finished, and the wax is like really on there, like it dried. i scraped some off thing my finger nails and i can see that it cn come off without hamring the paint, it jus i dunno the easiest and safest way to ash it out. im thinking some sort o liquid and a towel/paper towel/rag?
ill try to get pic tommorrow
hahaha must have been a party out at school tonight... you sound wasted [8D]
Old 10-04-2006, 08:42 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

I never heard of immediately waxing new paint (and I assume clearcoat) especially with the idea of "protecting it" for a few hours. Protecting it from what? The paint is trying to cure, solvents evaporating and they immediatey put wax on it. This doesn't sound right. I would try the spray detailer to remove it; Any rubbing that is at all harsh I guarantee you is marring the clear and this will all be visible like scratches/swirl-marks. I suppose a wash with Dawn if you can remove it all with the detailer. I'd ask them about this; find out what brand of paint and clear they used. The price was already too low and then he let you talk him down and maybe would have gone lower.... this sounds BAD to me. materials are very expensive no matter who is doing the work. You are talking about body work on a 05-07 stang right? No parts involved?
Old 10-04-2006, 01:55 PM
|UCF|chron
2nd Gear Member

its not waxing. they did the work and then they told me that they were going to put on this layer or "wax" to protect the paint formt he elements for a litle, and that i shuld just wash it off, but its not coming off. ill go at it with some water and some dawn in a bit tho, and we'll see what happens.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:24 PM
|UCF|chron
2nd Gear Member

i ust took it off with a sponge and some 409. looks great
Old 10-04-2006, 02:34 PM
Nichepi
3rd Gear Member

I've never seen, used or heard of adding some sort of wax addition right after painting. I would think that if they added some sort of wax right after painting and the paint was curring the wax might cure with the paint.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:49 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: |UCF|chron

i ust took it off with a sponge and some 409. looks great
Any pics?
Old 10-04-2006, 02:54 PM
|UCF|chron
2nd Gear Member

no pics, sorry, ill try to get some later this week.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:03 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

I have nothing useful to add to this thread. I just wanted to say that I can't stop looking at your avatar. Please don't post the full size pic of it, as I will be transfixed for hours.

Quick Reply: Body work finished up, some questions