Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgraded car alarms

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 03:12 PM
skilz4u2nv
3rd Gear Member

Default Upgraded car alarms

Like myself I am sure people here are putting alot of hard time, effort and money into their cars...

Anyone upgrade their security system to a one of those Viper systems or something along those lines? I am thinking of getting something like that and was wondering if anyone has already upgraded...
Old 10-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Upgraded car alarms

Just get the modular upgrade from ford, it includes a siren and a shock sensor and works with the factory system, also available is the ford add-on remote start. Works just as well, with out all the hassle of overriding the factory stuff and labor costs, most ford add-ons can be done in under an hour and retain the stock appearance and convenience
Old 10-04-2006, 04:50 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

When I looked into it, the ford system offered by the dealers was nothing more than a modified code-alarm unit that was harder to install and worked with the factory key farbs.

Nothing plug and play at all. I was quoted 4 hours to install. The factory harness needs to be spliced into. The dealers farm them out to normal alarm installers.

The unit doesent come with install instructions either but one site has them. One part number fits every ford made for the last several years.

To me, personally, do something unique to your car only to disable the car and put in a good GPS satalite tracking system that is digital based. The subscription fee is 100 bucks a year or so.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Scotte28516
4th Gear Member

Lojack has a good system. You can get the Lojack stolen car tracking system, plus a full feature Lojack alarm system that also has tamper notification. If your car is being tampered with, it will send an immediate text message to your cell phone and an email to your pc.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:11 PM
me2003

ORIGINAL: Archion

Just get the modular upgrade from ford, it includes a siren and a shock sensor and works with the factory system, also available is the ford add-on remote start. Works just as well, with out all the hassle of overriding the factory stuff and labor costs, most ford add-ons can be done in under an hour and retain the stock appearance and convenience

You got me excited about the remote start, so i called the ford dealer here and he told me he had nothing for the manual mustangs, i might try somewhere else though. The other way i can do is aftermarket but expensive.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:12 PM
skilz4u2nv
3rd Gear Member

I was thinking about something like the Viper 5000 system or the Clifford Matrix 2.5 system... Both actually are made by the same company.. and the newest Viper system (5900) sends you updates of your car up to a mile away...

Only thing that sucks is some of these systems come with remote start... what am I going to do with a remote starter in a manual transmission?!
Old 10-04-2006, 05:35 PM
TheSonicStang

When I got my 05 Stang, I had the dealer install an aftermarket alarm. They installed an acitve Karr Security System in to it. It is a plug-n-play add-on to the basic Ford passive system. Install took just under one hour to install. I does replace the factory Fob. I comes with two fobs for the system, upgradeable to four. I really like it. I has a lot of advanced features and I did get a discount from my insurane too.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:47 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: me2003

You got me excited about the remote start, so i called the ford dealer here and he told me he had nothing for the manual mustangs, i might try somewhere else though. The other way i can do is aftermarket but expensive.

The remote starts are not usally offered for manuals do to liablity reasons because some ppl tend to use their shifters as parking brakes, leaving the car in gear and trying to start it can have nasty side effects.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:07 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

The remote starts are not usally offered for manuals do to liablity reasons because some ppl tend to use their shifters as parking brakes, leaving the car in gear and trying to start it can have nasty side effects.
People do tend to use their shifters as parking brakes (well in addition to), probably because that's how they tell people to do it in Drivers Ed

A buddy of mine has a Honda Prelude, which in a manual, and had an after-market remote starter/alarm put in. He had to get it done under the radar though [&:]
Old 10-04-2006, 09:22 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Forgot to mention to stay away from guidepoint systems. They are the worst. I had their system in another car of mine and ended up disputing charges with my CC company. They are really bad to deal with.

I am probably going to look into the clifford/viper setup next.

Quick Reply: Upgraded car alarms