Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing question...(I was challenged)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 04:23 PM
Ruffnuts
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Racing question...(I was challenged)

ORIGINAL: GotYoNacho

ORIGINAL: Ruffnuts

Give him 3 fingers up and sound your horn 3 times and on the third horn sound punch it.
beat me by 17 seconds
LOL
Old 10-05-2006, 04:26 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mAnYsTyLeS

The other day I was driving on the highway with my girlfriend when some guy in a Pontiac Firebird stuck his hand out of his sunroof towards me and revved his engine (it sounded like crap mind you). Obviously he wanted to race me, but I wasn't going to do it for several reasons:

1...there was about 50 cars right around us (I'm not swirving through traffic like an idiot)
2...my girlfriend was in the car and she hates anything having to do with speed
3...my car is stock

He drove next to me for a while and continued to look at me so that we could race. When he finally realized it wasn't happening...he gave me the thumbs down and then took off (with his muffler sounding like a fart can).

My question is, let's say I would have raced him because it was safe to...how would it start? If I was to gun it right when I pulled next to him, there would be no way for him to beat me and it is also the same vice versa (if I pulled up to him and then he guns it...I would lose). Is there a known way to start these races? Who initiates the race? How do you know when to start?

I'm not asking so that I can race and risk my life or someone elses life...I'm just curious. Thanks!
Depending on the motor in the Firebird he could gun it and you would still blow by him, if he's an LT1, no problem, LS1, well, depending on what year and options close race but yes, if he jumps first forget it. You know when he guns it, it's time to go. J/K, it depends on who you're racing, some guys do the three honks and go, some just yell go, some yell 123 go, good luck.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:34 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackened

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

BTW dude, if it was a regular firebird and not a formula (these have quite a bit more power than the regulars), you would have smoked him easy, assuming he didnt have tons of work done. Ive just got an intake and a tune and Im just -slightly- (.1 sec) behind a Firebird formula w/full exhaust, intake and suspenion mods, but the formulas take us stock for stock.
That is the most popular mustang owner misconception. The formula ram-air is good for maybe another 5hp at higway speed. Same w/ an SS vs z28. Under the hood they are the same.
Well...depending on the year.... the 2002 formula came stock with a 310 hp (325 with ram air) 5.7l V8 where the regular came stock with a 200hp 3.8l V6 ... our GT has 300 hp and weighs 200 lbs more.. Id say with less hp and more weight were a tad slower. As far as the regular and formula being the same.... not according to the ones Ive seen and apparently the specs for them. Ive got a friend who has a regular firebird and it comes nowhere near close in speed, acceleration or even sound to the formula that I race @ the track.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:58 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

BTW dude, if it was a regular firebird and not a formula (these have quite a bit more power than the regulars), you would have smoked him easy, assuming he didnt have tons of work done. Ive just got an intake and a tune and Im just -slightly- (.1 sec) behind a Firebird formula w/full exhaust, intake and suspenion mods, but the formulas take us stock for stock.
That is the most popular mustang owner misconception. The formula ram-air is good for maybe another 5hp at higway speed. Same w/ an SS vs z28. Under the hood they are the same.
Well...depending on the year.... the 2002 formula came stock with a 310 hp (325 with ram air) 5.7l V8 where the regular came stock with a 200hp 3.8l V6 ... our GT has 300 hp and weighs 400 lbs more.. Id say with less hp and more weight were a tad slower. As far as the regular and formula being the same.... not according to the ones Ive seen and apparently the specs for them. Ive got a friend who has a regular firebird and it comes nowhere near close in speed, acceleration or even sound to the formula that I race @ the track.
Sorry bl1nkage but our Mustang's don't weigh 400lbs more than a loaded Firebird with the LS1, those suckers weigh in at over 3,400lbs which is very close to what our car weighs...
Old 10-05-2006, 05:04 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: viking396

Well...depending on the year.... the 2002 formula came stock with a 310 hp (325 with ram air) 5.7l V8 where the regular came stock with a 200hp 3.8l V6 ... our GT has 300 hp and weighs 400 lbs more.. Id say with less hp and more weight were a tad slower. As far as the regular and formula being the same.... not according to the ones Ive seen and apparently the specs for them. Ive got a friend who has a regular firebird and it comes nowhere near close in speed, acceleration or even sound to the formula that I race @ the track.
Sorry bl1nkage but our Mustang's don't weigh 400lbs more than a loaded Firebird with the LS1, those suckers weigh in at over 3,400lbs which is very close to what our car weighs...
Yeah youre right, I edited it, the specs say 3375 for a formula, but I guess if you got a manual GT coupe with no shaker itd be pretty close. Mine is heavy though, I have an auto with the Shaker... at least Im not a vert though [&:]

Old 10-05-2006, 05:26 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

Yeah youre right, I edited it, the specs say 3375 for a formula, but I guess if you got a manual GT coupe with no shaker itd be pretty close. Mine is heavy though, I have an auto with the Shaker... at least Im not a vert though [&:]

I thought about the shaker1000 but when I found it adds 125lbs to the car I was like holy crap! However it would have been nice, do you like it?
Old 10-05-2006, 05:34 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

I thought about the shaker1000 but when I found it adds 125lbs to the car I was like holy crap! However it would have been nice, do you like it?
Its alright for now, it will get replaced eventually though. I only have the 500, but from what I hear the 1000 is just more bass. I planned on replacing it anyways so we got the 500 so that I have -some- bass until I replace the stock system in a few years.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:38 AM
doode
3rd Gear Member

Stock Formula Firebird / Firebird TA > stock mustang GT

Friend of mine had a 2002 Firehawk and bone stock he ran a 13.3. Dont remember his trap speed, but its a monster motor.
I was going to buy that car before my Stang, but he traded it in on a C6 before i got the money together
Old 10-06-2006, 02:35 PM
oakman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Archion

One off topic question... Did he have a Mullett?
So mulletts and firebirds go together?
Old 10-06-2006, 02:38 PM
oakman
2nd Gear Member

[/quote]Well we are still able to manually shift it... Ive done that a few times... drop it out of overdrive and if youre going slow enough down to third. But yes, if left in drive, a manual would burn you before your car realized youre flooring it.

I also have an automatic, is this safe to do at highway speeds? That is dropping it out of drive down to 3rd?

Quick Reply: Racing question...(I was challenged)