Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing question...(I was challenged)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 01:48 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Default Racing question...(I was challenged)

The other day I was driving on the highway with my girlfriend when some guy in a Pontiac Firebird stuck his hand out of his sunroof towards me and revved his engine (it sounded like crap mind you). Obviously he wanted to race me, but I wasn't going to do it for several reasons:

1...there was about 50 cars right around us (I'm not swirving through traffic like an idiot)
2...my girlfriend was in the car and she hates anything having to do with speed
3...my car is stock

He drove next to me for a while and continued to look at me so that we could race. When he finally realized it wasn't happening...he gave me the thumbs down and then took off (with his muffler sounding like a fart can).

My question is, let's say I would have raced him because it was safe to...how would it start? If I was to gun it right when I pulled next to him, there would be no way for him to beat me and it is also the same vice versa (if I pulled up to him and then he guns it...I would lose). Is there a known way to start these races? Who initiates the race? How do you know when to start?

I'm not asking so that I can race and risk my life or someone elses life...I'm just curious. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2006, 01:51 PM
skilz4u2nv
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Racing question...(I was challenged)

If you are at highway speed and you have an automatic you better hope he has an automatic as well cuz it would be rather simple for him to shift down a couple of gears and burn you before your car realizes that it needs to downshift to accelerate faster so if i were you i would just take off to get some advantage on him
Old 10-05-2006, 01:52 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

Supercharge it and blow his dumb *** off the road! I hate Firebirds. Big, dumb looking piece of crap. Someday I might tell you how I REALLY feel.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Ruffnuts
2nd Gear Member

Give him 3 fingers up and sound your horn 3 times and on the third horn sound punch it.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:56 PM
GotYoNacho
1st Gear Member

to start the race

be going the same speed
give 3 honks and go on the 3rd
Old 10-05-2006, 01:57 PM
GotYoNacho
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ruffnuts

Give him 3 fingers up and sound your horn 3 times and on the third horn sound punch it.
beat me by 17 seconds
Old 10-05-2006, 03:30 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: skilz4u2nv

If you are at highway speed and you have an automatic you better hope he has an automatic as well cuz it would be rather simple for him to shift down a couple of gears and burn you before your car realizes that it needs to downshift to accelerate faster so if i were you i would just take off to get some advantage on him
Well we are still able to manually shift it... Ive done that a few times... drop it out of overdrive and if youre going slow enough down to third. But yes, if left in drive, a manual would burn you before your car realized youre flooring it.

BTW dude, if it was a regular firebird and not a formula (these have quite a bit more power than the regulars), you would have smoked him easy, assuming he didnt have tons of work done. Ive just got an intake and a tune and Im just -slightly- (.1 sec) behind a Firebird formula w/full exhaust, intake and suspenion mods, but the formulas take us stock for stock.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Kriger
2nd Gear Member

lets recognize it's never going to be safe... however, it can be safer to others when the roads empty. Assume the risk and responsilbility of being killed or killing someone else... Or the lifetime you could serve for vehicle homocide...[&:]

The 3 honk rule is standard but be ready to jump on it. Take it to the track, it's safer and classy to pass up a challenge because you know better. My best advise, take your girlfirend with you whenever you drive if not marry her!
Old 10-05-2006, 04:01 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

One off topic question... Did he have a Mullett?
Old 10-05-2006, 04:23 PM
blackened
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

BTW dude, if it was a regular firebird and not a formula (these have quite a bit more power than the regulars), you would have smoked him easy, assuming he didnt have tons of work done. Ive just got an intake and a tune and Im just -slightly- (.1 sec) behind a Firebird formula w/full exhaust, intake and suspenion mods, but the formulas take us stock for stock.
That is the most popular mustang owner misconception. The formula ram-air is good for maybe another 5hp at higway speed - same w/ an SS vs z28 - under the hood they are the same. The big difference in all of those cars is they're gearing and auto vs manaul. The slowest of all would be a auto w/ 2.73's, the fastest would be the M6 w/ 3.42's. There is a 3.23 option in there somewhere w/ auto and/or manual. But on the SS/Formula package there was no 2.73 option

Quick Reply: Racing question...(I was challenged)