Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Get your Shine On !!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 10:36 AM
jaiasmit
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Get your Shine On !!!!!!

ORIGINAL: Meph

Very nice wax/polish work. I have a black stang also, hope mine turns out that well.

I've actually got some Ice, I was going to try that this weekend. Not sure though what exactly it is. It says "use ice instead of wax" so I'm thinking, by the label's advertising, that it is a wax only "better"?? As in it's not just a layer of liquid put over top of wax to make it really shine, but itself is a wax like protectant layer.

Though clay bar... hmmmm. Thought about skipping that. Maybe not, should get one and do the whole shebang. Probably a few hours of work. Yay for saturday no workey day!
I personally have not been impressed with the Ice. I've used it several times, and just don't think it gives any better result than traditional wax. It is a little easier to remove, but you still have to be careful to go over the entire car and buff every spot. Otherwise, it will leave discolored areas (at least on my black).

Definitely do the clay bar. It is a lot of work, but it will get off all of the surface contaminants that will take away from your wax job. Just do a small section and run your hand over it versus a section you didn't do. You'll notice the difference. The clay bar section will feel smooth as glass, while the other section will have all kinds of raised imperfections. Once you've done the whole car with clay bar. Then give it a good coat of wax. It will be easier from there on out to keep clean.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:30 AM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

I have heard of using a clay bar many times....do you just apply pressure to the bar and rub in cirles?
Old 10-07-2006, 11:38 AM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

To use clay bar you first wet the surface area with detail spray or the spray that is supplied with the clay if you buy a kit. I would not go in circles, go back and forth. Although it is pert near impossible to induce swirls with clay anything with that circular motion does run the risk.

Richard
Old 10-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

Location: Raised in Chicago; living near St. Louis in Troy, IL

ORIGINAL: Black06stang

I have heard of using a clay bar many times....do you just apply pressure to the bar and rub in cirles?

No no, never work in a circular motion, even just when washing....and especially because your car is black. Do yourself a huge favor and take a look at this link. There are tips on everything detailing, including using the clay.

BTW, I finished washing, claying, and waxing (with NXT) my GT last weekend but didn't get a chance to take pics afterward because it was dark....and now it's dirty again because it's been raining all week and I haven't had a chance to wash it again. As soon as I can get it washed, like hopefully tonight, I'll post some pics as more examples (like those at the top of this thread) of how a good clay and wax job does for your black paint. I never used clay before that day, and I'm here to testify.....it works wonders. Definitely try it!
Old 10-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

How do you know where to clay your black, or any dark color, car? Or do you just cover every inch?

With Screaming Yellow I noticed all these tiny specks in the clear coat. Black or brown, they wouldn't come off, even with polish, wax, cleaner, whatever. I imagine it'd be the same with the White and now Grabber Orange paint. These specks were in the clearcoat and it took a LONG time using the detailing clay to lift them all out.
Get yourself the whole kit and maybe an extra bar or 2 if they are on sale. For my GT, which was left outside at the dealer for 6 weeks while waiting for the new engine, I could only do one section of the car at a time! Just sprayed a section about 6 inches long and went back and forth, back and forth! Then moved to the adjacent section... the sides were easier because I could sit down but the hood was a lot of work. That's why after it was done and felt so smooth I put on 2 coats of wax. Now little specks come right off!
Old 10-07-2006, 11:08 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Claying he paint and windows is the only way to go.

Got off of the silicone based waxes and have gone with teflon waxes.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29830/710C1DB8FF664E73A48BEE0F8E556A06.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-08-2006, 11:57 AM
Warlok
2nd Gear Member

As the proud owner of an 07 black clear coat GT I think this is the best info I ever read about in here. I had no idea about clay bars to clean my car. And after taking a look at the link provided that shows the prouducts, I have learned something important to me. I live to shine my car, and this will do it better than ever. Thank you.