Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tokicos without lowering?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 04:59 AM
bigboss

Default tokicos without lowering?

hi guys, i have a 2006 gt and i'm planning on modding my suspension but i dont have much money so i was just thinking if i can install tokico d-specs without new lowering springs and instead, install them in the stock springs. i can't install lowering springs cause there are some serious speedbumps around my house and i already bottomed out with the stock height of the car when passing them a bit too fast.
thanks a lot for any input!!
Old 10-06-2006, 06:57 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: tokicos without lowering?

They should fit with your stock spring. But take note that each of the Tokico struts are about an inch shorter the the stock GT struts I took off.
In the pics those are the stock springs and struts VS Eibach Pro springs. I really don't think you want to over extend your struts because they would normaly be used with shorter springs. See pics to compare.
IMHO Do them both at the same time! 05SDI

Old 10-06-2006, 10:23 AM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

Good point. I never noticed that, then again, I never compared them. Took the OEMs off and installed the D-Specs. Interesting...
Old 10-07-2006, 05:07 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

What is a "serious speedbump"? Pictures?
Usually you just have to slow down! Check the posted speedbump speed sign. I never bottom out, whether on the ones you can roll over at 20MPH or the ones when entering parking garages that you want to crawl over.
But why get expensive adjustable shocks as a mod if you don't have much money?
First thing would be better tires, then springs, maybe the adjustable rods...
Any ideas?
Old 10-07-2006, 05:17 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

I have the pro kit in the rear and would love to do Tokico but I don't plan to lower the front and as far as I've seen they don't sell shocks for rear only drop. I would like to soften the ride from the rear. If you've had the rear on the softest setting with the pro kit, can you compare that to the OE ride. ...about the same? or even softer than OE?

I suppose if I bought the set I would do the Tokico in the front on OE springs unless I hear that is a difinite "no no".

Your comments are much appreciated. ...Jim
Old 10-08-2006, 10:39 PM
terrysil
1st Gear Member

i installed a set of the tokicos d-specs on my 05 gt convertible. are they really shorter then the stock struts? i did not notice any lowering of the car, then again i do have my senior moments
I bought them because i auto cross and i can adjust them to the track. to answer a few questions, the full soft setting is just a tad softer then the convertible shock setting, keep in mind that the convertible has a softer suspension, springs and shocks are softer.
I like them ok, but i would not buy them again, they make a minimal difference for auto crossing in a rear drive car.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:18 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Changing the struts wouldn't lower the car though any more than changing rear shocks. Yeah, I'm just looking for softer, more absorbing ride for normal driving and was wondering to what degree I'd get that over stock struts and shocks (have pro kit Eibach in the rear only) Don't want to spend the money, put them on full soft and find there's virtually little to no difference; don't know if dampening will be inadequte on full soft. You folks who have them can chime in and tell me what you think. thanks, Jim
Old 05-16-2007, 07:38 PM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

I'm considering the install of Roush Rear Springs, from what I understand the ride will get a little rough on the stock shocks, so I'm thinking the springs and tokico d-specs. As it was asked by the OP, can tokico's be used without lowering?
Old 05-16-2007, 08:00 PM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

doh.. go figure... an FAQ of all things...

TOKICO shocks are designed to work with original springs or a wide range of performance lowering springs. However, TOKICO shocks tend to deliver their best performance and ride quality when used with original or TOKICO springs.

http://www.hitachi-hap-la.com/TokicoGasShocks/faq/