Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Quick S
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS

Wow, I don't know where I've been, but I wish I had seen this thread before!! I have that Musty smell in the car, and I have brought it to the dealer. they did note that there was a musty smell, and did go through the car but found no leaks. I have had this musty smell since day one of owning the car, there has been no electrical problems. hopfully this TSB is issued soon so I can go back to the dealership with it.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:42 PM
mail906
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wingman75

...Maybe this will put a stop to some of the negativism that seems to be growing among so many owners right now. I feel a huge relief that Ford is not trying to cover this up by ignoring it ...
Seems farfetched to me to think that anyone should be singing the praises of Ford over this one. Wasn't it just a day ago that Ford dealers and Ford customer service were telling customers that they had no knowledge of any SN197 water leak problems?

Had it not been for the persistence of thevehicle owners [forum members] out there who havehad to tussle repeatedly with Fordand its dealers for corrective action; Fordwould still be denying the issue.

In simple language - it's about time Ford is stepping up on this one.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:43 PM
sst06vert
2nd Gear Member

this might be a dumb question but can anyone tell me where the cowl is? Thanks
Old 01-12-2007, 12:39 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wingman75

ORIGINAL: bascho

I will post a PDF of the TSB once it'sissued. That way you guys with leaks can print it off and take it into the dealer.
boscho let me ask you a dumb question. If my car doesn't have a leak yet will they check it out and fill any gaps or problem areas? Like I've said before I don't drive in the rain if I can help it. But I would hate to have to get the floor flooded to prove I have a problem.

After reading this ... It is a dumb question isn't it!!!!!!!
Wingman,

The dealer doesn't automatically fix anything unless it's a recall....a TSB isn't a recall. A TSB stands for Technical Service Bulletin. They are written to address how techs can solve an issue in the field. It basically takes the guess work out of how to repair a problem vehicle. If you haven't experienced any leak then there is no reason to take your car into the dealer for this particular repair. The problem is notin design but ratherin installation......at both the plant and in service.

This is the reason not everyone has experienced leaks. If it were a design issue then Ford would issue a recall andinstalla redesigned part.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:41 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sst06vert

this might be a dumb question but can anyone tell me where the cowl is? Thanks
It's the panel in front of the windshield. It's plastic and runs from fender to fender. It's vented to allow fresh air into the cabin and beneath the screen is a filter.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:41 PM
2oo5stang
3rd Gear Member

Well i got my car back yesterday and they said a gromet came loose and they installed it, water checked it and it's good to go.....we'll see after the next hard rain.
Awesome bascho, if it's not fixed, maybe by the time it rains again the TSB will be out.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:27 PM
sst06vert
2nd Gear Member

Thank you very much again!!!
Old 01-12-2007, 06:13 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

How many plants make Mustangs? Perhaps there is a problem with one particular plant. Also, is there a way to know where the car was made....maybe inside the door where the manufacturersticker is?
Thanks for all your help.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:40 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07 Stang

How many plants make Mustangs? Perhaps there is a problem with one particular plant. Also, is there a way to know where the car was made....maybe inside the door where the manufacturer sticker is?
Thanks for all your help.
Flatrock is the only plant assembling Mustangs.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:19 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

I would like to add my thanks for the update and the eventual TSB, bascho. There's some comfort in knowing that Ford is working on this. On the one hand I've never had an issue with any of the work that was a result of a TSB, so I hope that even if my car still leaks, it will be solved once the TSB is out, but on the other hand...this has been a long road, and I'm not getting my hopes up too high.

I understand the need for the TSBs, but I find some fault in your comment regarding the dealerships:

They are written to address how techs can solve an issue in the field. It basically takes the guess work out of how to repair a problem vehicle.
Yes, they are great at taking the guess work out, and I think a little TOO great at taking out the ability for a tech to use their brain. It seems like the general work on the "dealership" street is, "if ford doesn't know about it, ie: no TSB or recall or mass customer complaint, then we do what we can but if it doesn't work, then it doesn't work. You'll just have to wait until enough people complain". I may be overstating this a little, as my car has been serviced (over and over and over...) for this issue, but honestly, I get so frustrated when it seems like techs these days have been reduced to querying a database for the magic answer. Well sometimes there are these things called "new problems" that "the first tech" somewhere will have to experience. He/she will not have a database result, TSB, or recall to go by, but it's their job IMO to recognize that it is not correct and use some gray matter to come up with a repair. Maybe Ford Corporate doesn't want techs doing that because then everyone would get a slightly different fix, but if you have good techs, and they really do fix the problems, then what's the difference? I could care less if tech A used silicon from company X on my cowl vs. tech B using silicon from company Y as long as my car doesn't leak.

Ugh, another positive post turned negative on me again. I really am greatful for your efforts. Hopefully in the near future this problem will go away and I can visit this website without getting worked up about it [&:]

Quick Reply: SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS