Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuego Flash Tuner by Grantelli...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 05:14 PM
radtexas

Default Fuego Flash Tuner by Grantelli...

product page
http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/fuego.htm

dyno page (31 hp gain with just tuner)
http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...yno15small.jpg

Anyone use this product?
The dyno is impressive if just the tuner as they claim.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:43 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Fuego Flash Tuner by Grantelli...

If it is tru I love how much earlier the tourque comes in, thats just what these cars need!!!
Old 10-13-2006, 06:21 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I would not buy one until there is strong indipendant tuner support for it.

Here's the explanation. Any "tuner" is just a tool for copying a timing/fuel file onto your car's computer. The tuner itself just just a machine that copies the tuning file onto your car. The real secret to power is what is contained inside that file. And, a few important facts apply there:

First off, a tuning file is a tuning file. Any kind of tune you could load with a Granatelli tuner could also be loaded with any other tuner: SCT, Diablosport, and so on. That means that none of the tuning devices are "better" than any of the others becasue they are all capable of the same thing. Think of it like a movie. If you have a movie DVD, that movie is the same regardless of what DVD player you happen to play it on. The content is the movie itself. The player just lets you watch it.

Second, understand that there are limits to what a tuning file can do. With a given engine configuration, there is only so much power that can be had without risking damage. This is true regardless of the brand of tuner (see "rule #1"). If "brand A" can make a certain HP claim, then so can all the other brands.

..this brings me to rule #3. The "default" tune that you get with any mass-marketed tuner (Granatelli, SCT, Diablosport, etc...) is conservative. This is becasue the company that sells 'em doesn't know exactly what circumstances the tune will be used under, or what mods the tunes may be used with. Therefore, they offer very "safe" tunes so that nobody damages their car and sues. The issue is that these tunes are also not optimal for power. Furthermore, if you do other mods down the road and you need to update your tune, you are now in trouble. You can't get an updated tune from a company like this.

Now, I like the SCT and the Diablosport tune devices. But I wouldn't buy one directly from the factory or from a mass-market vendor like Summit racing. Why? Becasue I don't want a "default tune".

Buy your tuner from an experienced aftermarket tuning shop like Brenspeed, Evolution, or Bamachips. (or failing that, whatever your local Dyno guru uses). The reason is all in the tune file. Remember, the tuner itself is just a tool for copying that file. They're all the same. What you're getting when you buy from a shop like these is a much better tune file that is designed for YOUR mods, YOUR wants, and YOUR conditions. These guys will talk to you, find out your specific situation, and then will send you tunes that are specific for YOU. That lets you get the maximim performance and value you can. Also, these guys will accomodate future mods. If down the road you decide to add headers to your car, or you have a strange combination of mods, no problem--they'll fix you up with a custom tune.

You can't get that buying from a mass-market vendor. If Granatelli starts getting "tuner support" and pro tuning techs start working with custom tunes for their device, then that's great. But right now if you buy that tuner your're stuck with a "one size fits all" canned tune, which is not going to be optimal at all. And to be honest, I don't see that happening any time soon. They're too late in the game. SCT and Diablosport are already there. Who is going to switch to a new brand when there is already so much content out there for the existing ones?

Old 10-13-2006, 06:26 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

I would not buy one until there is strong indipendant tuner support for it.
+1
Old 10-13-2006, 06:33 PM
radtexas

What I am interested in it what they claim.
1. Custom tunes and updates available through Internet

2. WILL re-tune vehicle after factory re-flash of PCM. Others claim they can but can they really?

I emailed them (if they reply) and asked them following:

1. How long has this product been out? I have read and heard a lot about X-Cal and Diablo but was looking at your site on Headers for my 07 GT and came across the tuner.
2. Can I buy the tuner preprogrammed for specific bolt-ons or are they generic?
3. And will the tuner work with other non-Granatelli products such as maybe a C&L CAI?
4. I read that there are tunes to download off the internet. What all can you get this way? Is this how it can be customized?

Old 10-13-2006, 06:39 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

If they can indeed provide custom tunes--and if those tunes are well done--then sure, this could be a good product.

But you can already get that with the SCT-II or the Diablosport Predator, right now, from any number of custom tuners who know their stuff. Why not get either of these? They are proven, there's a lot of experience already logged by some of the best tuning guys out there using them, and they are available right now.

Oh, and I know for a fact that the SCT-II can re-tune after a factory reflash of the PCM. This happened to my car when I had it to the dealer for clutch pack service. It reflashed with no problems. I haven't used the Diablosport but I don't see why it wouldn't. Again, the tuner itself is just a tool for copying tune files. If one can do it, they all should be able to do it.

I'm willing to bet the Granatelli tuner isn't even available yet. They are known for listing things on their web site that aren't yet available.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:20 PM
watsonaka
1st Gear Member

Since ordering my Grantelli CAI, I spotted another thread in which someone remarked that a problem with that CAI was that the calibrated MAS rendered tuners and tunes essentually unreliable. So if you did other mods in the future you were SOL if they required a tune.

Crazy Al, I'd be curious if you think that claim is true. If so, my assumption would be that this Grantelli tuner would be compatible, if not optimized for the Grantelli CAi. That make sense?

Do brenspeed and the other established SCT & Diablo dealers charge for those custom tunes. And if so, how much?

Thanks Jack
Old 10-14-2006, 02:34 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I have no personal experience with the Granatelli CAI. However, if the Granatelli has a special non-standard MAF, then I would expect you to have trouble down the road with custom tunes.

As for the Granatelli tuner, it may be compatible or it may not be. It depends on how the Granatelli engineers designed their tunes.

The issue is that tunes have to match your mods properly. If Granatelli designed their tuner to work with their CAI, then it will work well with the CAI....but it won't work well without the CAI. If they designed it for a stock CAI, then then it won't work properly on a CAI-equipped car. The only way Granatelli can really address this is if they offer "custom" tune options where you can specifiy what mods you have.

Brenspeed, etc, generally give you three custom tunes for free when you buy the tuner. Brenspeed will give you custom tunes for free if you bought those parts from them. If you bought the part elsewhere they charge you $60 for one tune or $110 for three tunes.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:53 PM
radtexas

This is the reply I got back from my email.

Fuego is brand new and will be shipping November 15th for Ford Only

1. Can I buy the tuner preprogrammed for specific bolt-ons or are they generic? You can purchase the tuner with specific FORD calibrations. Fuego is designed to be customer friendly not tuner shop required
2. And will the tuner work with other non-Granatelli products such as maybe a C&L CAI? It will have tunes for the majority of CAI on the market
3. I read that there are tunes to download off the internet. What all can you get this way? Is this how it can be customized? - No tunes will be sent via the net
4. Also looks like yours will hold 4 tunes will others only hold 3. I assume the stock is uploaded to the tuner as you reflash the PCM? -Our tool will hold 100’s of tunes. In the case of the Mustang – it will write at least 10 different tunes based on Gas type and trans type
5. 'WILL re-tune vehicle after factory re-flash of PCM. Others claim they can but can they really?' What is meant by this statement? Do XCAL and other not? You lost me on this one.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:41 PM
|UCF|chron
2nd Gear Member

sounds like a good product, we'll see i guess

Quick Reply: Fuego Flash Tuner by Grantelli...