Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nobody ever brags about how well the S197 handles!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 09:29 PM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

Default Nobody ever brags about how well the S197 handles!

I'm impressed daily. Scenario is always the same... I've got some "sports" car right on my *** going into a 270 degree exit ramp. I can tell the driver is thinking "Your HP don't help you out NOW, MFer!" I deliberately downshift and hit the ramp slow to sandbag a little, and then I start getting into the gas as I wind around the ramp, until I get right up to the limit. By the time I hit the straightaway again, I've put a good 25-40 yards on the car behind me.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:45 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Nobody ever brags about how well the S197 handles!

Glad to hear! I have an old highly modified BMW 3' series that is light, and tossable. I tossed it a lot. The GT is a great handling ride, may not be as "tossable" but it really surprises me often! My old car only weighed in at 2,500 pounds.

I'm not planning on changing any suspension parts any time soon, the old BMW was very stiff and very low, it made various daily driving things too much trouble. Kind of nice to not worry about bumps, driveways, and other things as much. Funny thing, any little "bump" or "depression" the BMW would let me know about it "RIGHT NOW"! but, on a back country road, it always seemed to find itself at home even when I was pushing it.

ORIGINAL: Rt1Rebel

I'm impressed daily. Scenario is always the same... I've got some "sports" car right on my *** going into a 270 degree exit ramp. I can tell the driver is thinking "Your HP don't help you out NOW, MFer!" I deliberately downshift and hit the ramp slow to sandbag a little, and then I start getting into the gas as I wind around the ramp, until I get right up to the limit. By the time I hit the straightaway again, I've put a good 25-40 yards on the car behind me.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:31 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

I think the S197 is much improved over all previous gen 'Stangs(save for specialty models) and as a daily driver it's a good compromise.......but it could use a little help IMO for backroad and tight twisty stuff. Suspension's a bit soft and could use a better grade of bushing material, stiffer rear sway bar and improved springs/shocks. I test drove a Roush last year and that car(Stage 2)
had a nice ride and handled much more precisely. I realize Ford must dial in early warning signs so that inexperienced drivers back off when pressing too hard(at least one would think they'd back off). The S197 with a 52/48 % weight distribution is a very nice platform to begin with(why do you think they're so competitive in Grand Am racing?). I just wish Ford would offer a handling package from the factory(much like the Z51 pkg for the 'Vette and the Touring pkg for the 350Z), but in the "right" hands the car is pretty amazing.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:25 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

I love the way mine handles and it impresses me for what it is but I know it could be better. Whether I want to try to improve it and risk a harsh ride, no ground clearance, etc. I dont know. But my porsche 944 still handles much better IMO and has gobbs more driver feedback in the steering and brakes. The mustang is a bit numb in comparison. It has some understeer but nothing that throttle cannot usually fix. Brakes are fine on the street, but feel could be better.

I added the g-trac brace under the car. I just ordered an inexpensive strut tower brace that mimics the shelby one. I am toying around with the idea of a larger rear sway bar. Ride height is pretty much OK for my tastes. GT's are the exact same height as the shelby gt500. I am sure Koni or Bilstein shocks would make a nice difference. But being I dont race the car, I am really not in too big of a hurry to swap out shocks right now and start messing with alignment, etc. When I get tired of the BFG tires, something nice and sticky will replace them in the summer months.

One thing I do know is that when I was looking for my car I drove a couple cars wth 17" tires and came away with one impression.

Then I bought my car without driving it, it has factory 18" wheels. I was blown away by the difference. Between the tire and wheel upgrade and the different shock tuning ford does on the factory 18" cars, it really is a totally different feel IMO.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:52 PM
Juntech
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05gtdriver

I think the S197 is much improved over all previous gen 'Stangs(save for specialty models) and as a daily driver it's a good compromise.......but it could use a little help IMO for backroad and tight twisty stuff. Suspension's a bit soft and could use a better grade of bushing material, stiffer rear sway bar and improved springs/shocks. I test drove a Roush last year and that car(Stage 2)
had a nice ride and handled much more precisely. I realize Ford must dial in early warning signs so that inexperienced drivers back off when pressing too hard(at least one would think they'd back off). The S197 with a 52/48 % weight distribution is a very nice platform to begin with(why do you think they're so competitive in Grand Am racing?). I just wish Ford would offer a handling package from the factory(much like the Z51 pkg for the 'Vette and the Touring pkg for the 350Z), but in the "right" hands the car is pretty amazing.
Are you talking about this? http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=8976

I heard that the FR Handling package improves the Stang's handling tenfolds. It also looks great too.

I too am impressed with the S197's handling. On my test drive i had only one gripe and that's the steering didnt feel as precise as it possibly could. Does anyone make improved parts?
Old 10-14-2006, 12:18 AM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

I only tested and ended up buying my car with the 18" Bullitt/KDWS purely by chance. It's hard for me to imagine that Ford could have done much better with a factory package.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:35 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Juntech

ORIGINAL: 05gtdriver

Are you talking about this? http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=8976

I heard that the FR Handling package improves the Stang's handling tenfolds. It also looks great too.

I too am impressed with the S197's handling. On my test drive i had only one gripe and that's the steering didnt feel as precise as it possibly could. Does anyone make improved parts?
Caramba! I should've asked the dealer to install that kit when I got 0% financing in late August after buying my '06! That's still a decent price......X-mas is on it's way....thanks for the info
Old 10-14-2006, 12:43 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

In stock trim the S197 feels pretty good....
BUT
drop about $5500+ into wheels, tires, brakes and upgrade all the suspension parts! When you get back into a 'stock' S197 they just seem to wallow around corners, sluggish stops, and major tire squeal when pushed. Now add a dose of supercharged HP and this is the 'Cobra' that Ford should have but didn't build, but I had too, and yea it'll strike!

Oh and yes I'll play with a 07 Shelby any chance I get! Heck I still waiting on an unsuscecting Z06 to come struttin by thinking we have 'just another' convertible GT Mustang with 20's.

Old 10-14-2006, 12:44 AM
mail906
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: algregory

Glad to hear! I have an old highly modified BMW 3' series that is light, and tossable. I tossed it a lot. The GT is a great handling ride, may not be as "tossable" but it really surprises me often! My old car only weighed in at 2,500 pounds.
We should all do ourselves a favor and try to differentiate between Mustang enthusiasm and reality.

I have a 07 GT vert and frankly, I love the vehicle. But it's handling is far from desirable, and since I have some other vehicles, I have a basis of comparison (both present and past). My BMW embarasses the Mustang in terms of handling. Raw acceleration no but handling - definitely. My 07 is a 5 spd. manual.

The stock Mustang needs help in the way of handling. I am attempting to determine the right blend of suspension modifications that will help the car WITHOUT lowering it. [Any advice will be appreciated.] Under hard acceleration - 100+ mph - it's now scary. In addition, my Mustang is the first new vehicle that I have ever had that will bottom out on a bump routinely if I do not compensate for it.

And as a final comment, the lack of IRS sucks. As we all know all know, a moderate to heavy bump under acceleration feels like the back end of the car is about to be ripped off.

We all love these things, but for the sake of expanding everyone's knowledge, let's keep the opinions factual. As well, let's forget the value equation - the Mustang is a good buy - and save all the "I love my Mustang" C**P for the ladies. Yeah - it is a good buy. OK. Now how do we improve the vehicle? That is what I'd like to understand better.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:55 AM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

Mail906, your ideas are based on your experiences as are mine. You are comparing the S197 to cars known for handling, I am basing mine on my experience on the road against lighter cars that should handle well and against my '88 5.0 vert. We are coming at this arguement from distinctly opposite directions. I only content that my S197 is surprisingly nimble for a 3700 lb american muscle car. And the IRS vs live axle debate has been beaten to death.

Quick Reply: Nobody ever brags about how well the S197 handles!