Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone go to dealer about hood shake/flex?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 11:53 AM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Anyone go to dealer about hood shake/flex?

Thanks for the help - just doesn't seem right though...

Anyone actually have the problem go away by adjusting the rubbers stops (either yourself or the dealer)?

Do the stops need to be adjusted to go higher? (i.e., turn left or right) Thanks again for the help and great support.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:58 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

lol
I mean if you put that S/C on your car with out the lowering mounts the stock hood is very close (leaves blower prints in underhood insulation) and therefore 'hold' your hood from moving at any speed! We have two s195 Mustangs both have hood shake at somewhere around 80. I noticed after the S/C install no more hood shake. (I was trying out my new humor, guess it didn't take! lol) 05SDI
Old 10-16-2006, 12:04 PM
jay0heavenly
3rd Gear Member

I had the same problem whenever I would hit about 80mph. Soooo, I took mine to the dealer and they worked their magic and now it is no shaking at all. All I think they did is adjust the rubber stops, but now the hood sits maybe a millimeter higher.

If that doesnt work, what about some functional hood pins? I have heard from some posts that they work.

[IMG]local://upfiles/30670/5BE85A9EC6D64164880044331A08BE56.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-16-2006, 12:08 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

I do still get a little shake at higher speeds, say 80+ which is where I cruise on the interstate, and plan on installing a set of pins, but mostly because I have always liked pins.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:29 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

O5SDI - Just over my head - appreciate the response though - (supercharger is unfortunately not an option)...

I guess what bothers me is that since it happens to some cars and not others, it seems like a defect or something that could be fixed (no TSBs for this but seems like there should be one)

I'm going to try adjusting the rubber stops myself - I'm not very comfortable about this (afraid to mess with a $30K car...) - and if it doesn't work I guess i will mention it to the dealer when I take it for first servicing. I have read the posts about it on the forum.

Still seems there should be a TSB unless the stopper adjustment actually corrects it or only a few cars experience this.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

P.S. I like the way hood pins look myself but don't think they should be required on a "perfomance car" like ours.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:54 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

you can't mess up the rubber stops. you can unscrew them completely off the frame, you just screw them back on. the dealer adjusted mine almost all the way up so it was nearly impossible to close the hood and get it to latch. had to slam it down so hard i moved them back down. also it made the lines of the hood stick way up off the front fender and it looked like crap. it didn't fix it the problem anyway... thus, i just learned to accept it.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:13 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: timothyrw
I took my car back to the dealer and they adjusted the rubber stops but it didn't help much. I got on it merging onto the interstate the other night. Shot up to over 100mph and the hood was shaking like crazy!!! Was very disconcerting... I've tried to adjust the stops myself, up and down, and haven't had much luck. I've resigned myself to just driving it and if something catastrophic happens, well, I know a good personal injury lawyer...
Doing 100+ mph in most places is enough to get you a trip to jail you are breaking the law if something happens it is your problem. This is no different than a burgler trying to break into a house and falling and sueing the homeowner. This sue happy attitude is what will cause the ultimate demise of performance cars in the US.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:01 PM
chp2150
1st Gear Member

It's not necessary to go past the legal speed limit. Just pass a truck going the opposite direction on a 2 lane highway, both doing 70 and it will shake like crazy. I had mine into the dealer for the first oil change and they seemed to have it fixed, but it still does it on occasion. It seems as though the air from the opposing truck has to catch the hood just right to get it to shake. The hood is stable and won't shake if I'm just going down the interstate and pushing triple digits.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:48 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Agreed it can happen at lower speeds but I don't know of many 2 lane undivided highways that have speed limits of over 55mph. Most people complain of this problem at 100+. Sorry but to say you are going to sue because you were breaking the law is absurd. Adjusting the hood stops helps a lot, but unfortunately to some degree it is part of having a very long hood with a large grille opening.

For the most part I think a lot of "enthusiats" aren't really and look more for things to complain about because they want their Mustang to be like a Lexus. Hence the reason heated seats are now an option among other crap to make those that want the car for its name to satisfy an ego thing without sacraficing all of their luxury amenaties.

I stand by my statement that it is our sue happy society that will cause the demise of performance automobiles.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:01 PM
jay0heavenly
3rd Gear Member

You would still be able to sue. What we are all alleging is a defect in the product which is a strict liabilty tort. (Tort is just a fancy shmancy legal term for personal injury). In strict liability torts, negligence or contributory negligence or the actions of the plaintiff are NOT considered unless it is gross or reckless. So if someone's hood comes up the question is whether there was a defect in the product NOT how fast the driver was going. Ford built a car capable of doing 100+, and it should be able to withstand what it was designed by the manufacturer to do and NOT be able escape liability from a faulty product simply because the driver exceeds any given speed limit. (However, going too fast would be reckless and would more than likely disqualify somebody for recovering.)

All states vary, but NY for example is a contributory negligence jurisdiction, that just means that your award would be subtracted by the percentage of your fault. If your hood comes up while your going 100, and you are adjudicated 50% at fault, and you have 30,000 in damages, you would walk away with half of the jury verdict. In other states it is very similar, but some require that you be less than 50% at fault to recover anything at all.

I still would reccommend hood pins or adjusting the stops to prevent something bad. Even though I knew mine wouldn't fly up, I still got nervous looking at it quiver.

[IMG]local://upfiles/30670/A8B5C0C3719544AEAC979F5C06560976.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Anyone go to dealer about hood shake/flex?