Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone go to dealer about hood shake/flex?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 04:09 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Anyone go to dealer about hood shake/flex?

ORIGINAL: jay0heavenly
You would still be able to sue. What we are all alleging is a defect in the product which is a strict liabilty tort. (Tort is just a fancy shmancy legal term for personal injury). In strict liability torts, negligence or contributory negligence or the actions of the plaintiff are NOT considered unless it is gross or reckless.
I sure am glad you explained that to me since I look at law suits every day as I work for an insurance company.

However last time I checked driving 100+ is reckless and that is where most complain about the issue.

Now regarding being able to sue yes the person would be able to, however does that make it right? NO, I sure as hell wouldn't side with a person doing 100+ and their hood coming unlatched, prove to me they didn't pop the hood...
I guess you would side with the idiot that places a foam coffee cup between their legs and gets burned and is awarded several million dollars for their stupidity. Or I guess if your house were broken into and the criminal fell and was crushed by your big screen tv and his family sued you would agree if they won the law suit?
Old 10-16-2006, 04:12 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

here in texas there is a highway that is undivided but 6 lanes and the speed limit is 70
I actualy avoid it if I'm in that area because its undivided and you can easily see someone could drift into the otherside
Old 10-16-2006, 04:50 PM
jay0heavenly
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1QuickShortBus

ORIGINAL: jay0heavenly
You would still be able to sue. What we are all alleging is a defect in the product which is a strict liabilty tort. (Tort is just a fancy shmancy legal term for personal injury). In strict liability torts, negligence or contributory negligence or the actions of the plaintiff are NOT considered unless it is gross or reckless.
I sure am glad you explained that to me since I look at law suits every day as I work for an insurance company.

However last time I checked driving 100+ is reckless and that is where most complain about the issue.

Now regarding being able to sue yes the person would be able to, however does that make it right? NO, I sure as hell wouldn't side with a person doing 100+ and their hood coming unlatched, prove to me they didn't pop the hood...
I guess you would side with the idiot that places a foam coffee cup between their legs and gets burned and is awarded several million dollars for their stupidity. Or I guess if your house were broken into and the criminal fell and was crushed by your big screen tv and his family sued you would agree if they won the law suit?
Actually a lot of people complain about the hood shaking at 80+, mine did. I'm a lawyer, and I got the school loans to prove it! And we get people coming into the office all the time, some with real injuries based on product flaws and others come in with the neckbrace trying to get a handout. Those people make me sick, and we tell them to find another lawyer. So acutally I do agree with you, there are a lot of idiots who would sue like you said for burning their legs on coffee that they put between their legs. But my problem is that Ford should make a product that is not defective. All the $ put into production should take into consideration that people with these cars go FAST! So it should be able to withstand the intended mph. Thats all. Youre right, we do live in a sue happy society, BUT that should not relieve these car companies from having to build quality stuff.

As for me, my passion is civil rights and working with juvenille delinquents, but we do a lot of PI stuff here to. I dont want you to think that I'm an ambulance chaser, but sometimes it really angers me when we have somebody who is really injured, not based on their fault and then we have a big name company trying to stiff them. I think we both hate the same thing, that is people trying to get over. Its just in your day to day work as an insurance adjuster you see the people trying to get a handout and what I see sometimes are companies trying to get over on a truly injured person. Just my .02 Bro.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:27 PM
chp2150
1st Gear Member

Two lane roads with 65 MPH speed limits and above abound out here in the west. I'm in Idaho and I can show you many US Federal 2 lane highways, not to mention State highways. Same for Montana, and Nevada. The Peoples Republic of Oregon and Washington don't think anyone can go faster than 55 MPH on their sections of 2 lane US highways. The main road into Idaho from the south is US 95 (a two lane road that runs all the way to the Canadain border, and also the main North-South Highway in Idaho) and the limit in Nevada to the Oregon border is 70MPH. Once you hit Oregon, the limit drops to 55MPH. Once you cross into Idaho, it's back up to 65 MPH. I remember the day when Nevada was "safe and prudent" all day and night, and Montana was "safe and prudent" daytime and limited at night. In Idaho, the Interstate is posted 75 and as long as you aren't an idiot weaving in and out of traffic, you can get by with 80-85. At that speed at least you can get across the state in a day.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:33 PM
Warlok
2nd Gear Member

If it would be of any help, I will take severall large format 6.2 megapixel pictures of my hood set up, in detail and up close. Maybe you will see something different on my 07 GT. I was on Stangnet a while ago, and there were severall posts about the shaky hood. I replied to them there, and told them as I am telling you all that my 07 GT with over 4.000 miles on it, has never even once moved in any way at any speed to 145 mph.

In Texas, I-10 between Kerrville and El paso is 80 mph. I have found severall excuses to go out to West Texas, from San Antonio where I live, just to open the GT up and have some high speed fun. Nobody runs under 90 mph, and people running 100 mph is normal, but you will get stopped if caught. Most of the time, 90mph is fine with the Texas Highway Patrol.

Im long winded here, but I just wanted everyone to know that this crap is not normal, and no one should get used to it, or think it's the nature of the beast. Sure there is a second latch to catch the hood, but does any body here think that the hood suddenly popping up and slamming against the second latch at 100 or more would not cause major freak out if only for a moment? That moment at hauling *** speed just might be your last if you hit the brakes or turn the wheel much.

Someone will certainly post back and tell me how wrong I am, and it never fails there is allway's a 16 year old expert with 50 years automotive and driving experience out there. For sure its not normal for any cars hood to shake or do anything except open and close when you want it to. Maybe Im just too old "52" but if my brand new 07 Mustang GT had anything shaking or rattling around that was not suposed to do so, no way would I not have the dealer make it right and now!

Old 10-16-2006, 06:12 PM
chp2150
1st Gear Member

Jeeze, Warlock, I thougt I was the only one who used a walker to get to my car in the morning. I've made 52 orbits around the sun also. Did Ford use some 1/4-20 bolts and 2 X 2 angle iron to brace the hood on the 2007's ?? After I had the dealer tighten up the rubber tensioners at the front, I still get some hood flex at the rear. I'd be interested to see if there is a difference in design of the attach points etc.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:27 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

I've traveled decent speeds with my 07 and haven't noticed any hood shake/flex at all (unless it does it and I just never saw it). Can someone go into detail about what they see the hood do so that I can take a note???
Old 10-16-2006, 07:39 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

WarloK - I agree with you 100%. That is why I started this thread. I just can't believe people accept this and say live with it or use hood pins. As I said I had another 06 GT and it did not do this. It happens at 85+ mph. If I can fix it by adjusting the rubber stops myself it will save me a trip to the dealer but I will definitely take it in if it continues. That's why I am wondering why it is not a TSB issue - I have read about it a lot on this forum and now experience it myself.

Manystyles - If I look at the hood (driver side), especially the seam, when I am driving, I can see it shaking. Starts at 85 MPH - a speed I occasionally drive at just to keep up with traffic sometimes.

iQuickshortbus - sorry if I am out of line but I find it hard to believe someone who boasts 400+ rwhp did not make the modifications required to drive 55 so why make an issue about the legality? Even if you only drive it on a track, it would still be a valid problem/defect.

Thanks to all for your comments though.

Again, has anyone had it successfully fixed at the dealer?
Old 10-16-2006, 10:10 PM
amiller44

I have to agree... I've owned lot's of sports cars (yes I'm getting old). This is the first one I've owned where the hood shakes like crazy over 80. I've changed the stops multiple times and can't get it to stop. I think Ford needs to come out with a fix. If not, someone on this forum could make a bunch of dollars with a fix that doesn't require hood pins.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:30 PM
Riggs007
2nd Gear Member

Everyone with this problem should take their VIN to a dealership and find where the car was built and compare. Maybe its just some at a certain factory or something? BTW I never noticed on my stock hood, but the sftermarket one, I drove about 10kms then went back to get hood pins installed. (they recommend them on fiberglass hoods though)

Quick Reply: Anyone go to dealer about hood shake/flex?