Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could a Mustang GT/Cobra pull this off?

Old 10-18-2006, 03:03 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Could a Mustang GT/Cobra pull this off?

That was more luck than good driving. You know why? There was no margin for error. A good driver always leaves a margin for error...

You wouldn't want to do that in a mustang... Even with suspension mods you are no match for a M5, let alone a AWD RS4...
Old 10-18-2006, 08:54 PM
Mustang Boy
3rd Gear Member

i didnt feel like readin the entire thread but that is the dumbest **** to do especially on a crowded road

now to answer the question i dont think it would take much to make ur car be able to do that except for u not carring about ur car or ur life cause i could probably do that in my 66 and i have done similar lane switched in it just not with anyone around cause i care too much about my car to put it on the line like that

Old 10-18-2006, 09:04 PM
wishIhada5.0
2nd Gear Member

I have no doubt that the s197 could pull that off...... on a CLOSED COURSE!! I'm 17 and they claim that my age group is the biggest bunch of idiots on the road, I know for a fact that any of my friends or I would never pull crazy $hit like that, its bad enough if you wanna kill yourself but to endanger every1 else like that is just straight up stupid!
Old 10-20-2006, 11:03 PM
919Maniac

That's funny, I just got back from living in Italy and I loved the way they drive. Nobody sits in the fast lane and you can cruise all day at over the ton. Most Americans that get stationed over there hate the driving b/c they're used to our way of doing things - orderly and slow. Europeans drive much faster and dare I say with more skill than your average American. To our eyes that's "crazy" and "reckless", but for them it's the way things are done. I guess when you have to go live in another country, you should try to fit in with what they do, not the other way around. Now that you're back here in the States I'm sure you feel more comfortable.

The video showed irresponsible behavior by two very good, very wealthy drivers. I have no idea if the Mustang could have pulled those moves off or not but any driver who did would have to be an azzhat to try in traffic that thick.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:37 PM
OkieNGa
1st Gear Member

You know, I am a pretty agressive driver. I drive Ga 400 daily and that road is as congested as that hwy on a light day. I have done my fair share of weaving in and out of traffic, BUT THAT WAS NUTZ! however, if I had the BALLZ or better yet, LACK OF INTELLIGENCE, my car could do that with some suspension upgrades and a lil somethin under the hood.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:00 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

While that wasn't the appropriate place for that kind of driving, I quite enjoyed watching the audi pull away like that, but I'm kind of partial since I had an S4.

To answer the question about if the mustang could handle like that, sure it could with a full race spring, strut set up from someone like eibach with upgraded front and rear anti-roll bars, stut tower brace, polyurethane bushings, bump steer kit, wider rims and max performance tires.

But the most important thing that no one has mentioned is the fact that those two cars had massive brake upgrades. You can't pull a mustang down from 135+ down to 50 in the short distance they did and do it repeatedly. You would need at least a 14" rotor, 2-4 piston front calipers with aggressive pads (probably a good rear upgrade too) to do that kind of rapid deceleration.

I have seen this video posted on other sites, the background on the cars is a Dinan modified M5 with 550+ hp but the impressive car was the fully built Audi RS4 with ~600 awhp. Our mustangs aren't going to be pulling on an M5 like that with just suspension mods[]
Old 10-21-2006, 05:55 AM
undefeated
4th Gear Member

I'm not gonna lie like I haven't street raced or anything. I've driven like that somewhat before, with a BMW before and the S197 did well, I must say. There wasn't as much traffic. Those guys, though were scary. They had no respect for people who might change lanes. After looking at it again, I can definately say they were on a death wish it looked like.