Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MUST READ. leak problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Jujudoll

Default RE: MUST READ. leak problem

I'm kinda freaked now. I was driving while it was raining the other day, and I had a friend in the passenger seat. She said she felt a drop on her foot. Then she felt the mat and it was a bit damp. Now that I think about it I have noticed a bit of a smell after it had rained. My car is an '05 GT and I have almost 33,000 miles on it. I guess I better call the dealership now to see what can be done, considering the factory warranty is up in 3,000 miles!!!
Old 04-20-2007, 07:02 PM
jmk3
3rd Gear Member

Mine finally leaked after the 7" noreaster last weekend. Not too bad just damp padding. I had to pull off kick panel to tell is was damp. I think I found my problem as others have found the same. I removed the cowl panel on passenger side & there are about 4 recessed plastic pieces that the cowl panel latches into. The cheap gasket on one looked out of place so I pulled one out & the entire area inside was full of water. Those clips don't hold enough tension on the gasket to make a seal. there are also 4 on the drivers side so thats 8 places for water to seap in. Now the water works its way arount to the side & drops down onto the dreader junction box. I removed the wipers & other cowl cover & threw out all 8 of those gaskets & reinstalled the clips with some good sealer I have that is for camper seams & such. I am convinced that is the problem as I have heard others describe the water sloshing back & forth when they drive. The problem may have been worsened cause some leaves were blocking the little hole in the cowl panel causing it to fill up & run backwards. Next time you have the leak pop one of those out & look inside. Others have mentioned sealing the seam at the A pillar but I think they are sealing the water in & not solving the problem.

I wanted to add that when this happened my car was not driven, it was parked in the rain. People that have issues with driving in rain may or may not have this problem. I used a product called Permanent sealer by a company called Ruscoe, comes in clear & white I used clear.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:18 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

great info, much appreciated.

ORIGINAL: jmk3

Mine finally leaked after the 7" noreaster last weekend. Not too bad just damp padding. I had to pull off kick panel to tell is was damp. I think I found my problem as others have found the same. I removed the cowl panel on passenger side & there are about 4 recessed plastic pieces that the cowl panel latches into. The cheap gasket on one looked out of place so I pulled one out & the entire area inside was full of water. Those clips don't hold enough tension on the gasket to make a seal. there are also 4 on the drivers side so thats 8 places for water to seap in. Now the water works its way arount to the side & drops down onto the dreader junction box. I removed the wipers & other cowl cover & threw out all 8 of those gaskets & reinstalled the clips with some good sealer I have that is for camper seams & such. I am convinced that is the problem as I have heard others describe the water sloshing back & forth when they drive. The problem may have been worsened cause some leaves were blocking the little hole in the cowl panel causing it to fill up & run backwards. Next time you have the leak pop one of those out & look inside. Others have mentioned sealing the seam at the A pillar but I think they are sealing the water in & not solving the problem.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:29 PM
sst06vert
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jmk3

Can you give us the name of the sealer you use. Any chance you can include a picture? thanks Its raining here now and left my car in the rain.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:45 PM
SkullE404
1st Gear Member

Mine seems to be leaking ONLY when i get a high pressure water jet under the front passenger area tire. Happens when i choose the underbody wash at the touchless carwash. Drove it around for an hour and a half during a rain storm and had nothing Untill i drove it thru a moderately deep puddle. After the puddle it showed up within 30 seconds on the paper towel i had on the floor.

It's going in on tuesday.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:33 PM
2005StangGT
2nd Gear Member

Took mine in last week and the invoice says "sealed open seam between firewall and passenger side kick panel"It was covered under warrenty.Taking it through the car wash today and crossing my fingers....
Old 05-03-2007, 02:03 AM
twokidsnosleep

Well myvert is going back for water leak check. The passenger floomats are ok, but the passenger door and door sill are always wet. It seems like the door is full of water, drips on opening and drips onto the sill. Anyone have something similar???

Scott [:@]
Old 05-03-2007, 05:23 AM
superslow
2nd Gear Member

good thing i read this. thanx for posting it again. i have a kinda musty smeel that is getting worse. this is probably the problem. i will check it out. thanx a bunch!!!!!!!!
Old 05-03-2007, 08:59 AM
2005StangGT
2nd Gear Member

Took mine through the touchless wash yesterday on the way home from work....appears to be fixed!
Old 05-03-2007, 10:51 AM
mail906
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: superslow
good thing i read this. thanx for posting it again. i have a kinda musty smeel that is getting worse. this is probably the problem. i will check it out. thanx a bunch!!!!!!!!
This is really the sad aftermath of all of this. Based on the number of owners here who have a water leak, theremust be plenty of other owners out there who do not know that their vehicle leaks. Possibly they don't pay close attention to their car, or readforums like this. [If you know someone who has a SN197, spread the word andmake sure that they are at leastaware of the potential problem.]

And where's Ford on all of this? Wasn't it before Christmas 2006 that a TSB was supposedly in the works?

Quick Reply: MUST READ. leak problem