Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forged vs Lightweight vs Other?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 04:29 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default Forged vs Lightweight vs Other?

Hey guys, just wondering what kind of wheels are best for me. I know that different types of wheels will differ from application so let me lay it out for you. I wont be doing any autocross, though I like to hit the occaisional windy road, and Im not going to be strictly track (so I dont need to strip tons of weight I dont think). Basically what I want is a nice solid rim, that isnt the heaviest thing besides the motor, that isnt going to give me trouble or a stiff ride when I want to hit the curves or have to take a not so perfect road. Reason I ask you guys is Im not really sure the best types of wheels for the best situations so Im a little confused as to what I need... is there any specific types that correspond to my situation or am I kinda in the middle? Thanks alot.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:38 AM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Forged vs Lightweight vs Other?

Really, in the middle. Aluminum wheels all basically weigh the same. For the strip, there are more options than road. I would consider what you like by "looks", more so, than the wheel being an advantage or disadvantage. You won't be hurting your perfomance, or gaining on it either.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:51 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LegallyTorchRED

Really, in the middle. Aluminum wheels all basically weigh the same. For the strip, there are more options than road. I would consider what you like by "looks", more so, than the wheel being an advantage or disadvantage. You won't be hurting your perfomance, or gaining on it either.
Well optimally (I think thats a word [8D]) I would like forged wheels simply for the look. I like the rivet look and they HAVE to be deep dish, and preferably polished or chrome, but on the other hand, I already know Ill be adding alot of other stuff to my car that will sacrifice performance (unfortunately) so I figured I could try for a performance rim so to speak. I realize that aluminum rims save weight and even though its only.. 20 lbs or so, alot of people are just dying to drop some weight off their cars, hinting that every lb counts. In my situation it wouldnt hurt me to have a forged wheel for every day use and then use them at the track as well? What is a better type of rim for every day use rather than one for the track?
Old 10-18-2006, 04:59 AM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

IF it were me...... I'd go with the FOOSE NITROUS. Around 32# each, but, that chrome finish rocks, and I dunno, I can't see how it could really hurt you at the track, as long as your comepetitor is running similar wheels. I like the BULLITS, but, FOOSE alot more.
JMO
Old 10-18-2006, 05:09 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LegallyTorchRED

IF it were me...... I'd go with the FOOSE NITROUS. Around 32# each, but, that chrome finish rocks, and I dunno, I can't see how it could really hurt you at the track, as long as your comepetitor is running similar wheels. I like the BULLITS, but, FOOSE alot more.
JMO
I too like the Foose wheels. I like the basic shape, kinda like bullitts but smaller towards the center. I hate wheels with large center pieces that block alot of the brake. I dunno though, Id just like to make sure that theres nothing else out there. Id just hate to spend that much and get them on the car and see something the next week and go "DAMN! I shoulda got those!" ya know? Plus I am starting to get really performance concious about mods now that Im finding out my car is actually slow for my mods.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:13 AM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

What do you mean slow for your mods ? What do you have ?
Old 10-18-2006, 05:31 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

CAI and tune but Im running about .2-.3 behind what I should be according to others with same mods.

Ive found a few forged wheels that I like but theyre a bit pricey (which was expected). What is a good forged wheel company besides Iforged? Id like to find a rim thats deep dish , maybe forged, preferably chrome or polished, 5 spoke or similiar, no multispoke if it looks like it belongs on a subaru, and as lightweight as possible, all while being able to fit under my car with a fat tire on them, and not ride like a pos. Heh... think there is a wheel out there like that or am I asking for a miracle? [&:]
Old 10-18-2006, 08:56 PM
Quick S
2nd Gear Member

Rim selection...GRRRRRRRR.... [:@] I share your pain on this one. I have been up and down with rims too. Now I like to goto the track as well, and for me, I would say I'm 60% Performance minded and 40% on looks. Yeah..., I one of those guys that if I can shed one pound off the car, I'm doing it, LOL. Now I do know, if you go with a rim heavier than your stockers, your not going to be happy, you will feel the difference in the car and especialy at the track [:'(]. I found a set of forged SSRs in 17's, IMO there not pretty at all, and there about $400 a rim, but there only 16 Pounds!!!![sm=drooldude.gif] which would be like droping almost 48 pounds off the car But realisticly, getting a rim that weighs around 23 to 25 pounds (or a little less [8D]) that looks good, and I wouldn't have to refinance the house LOL, would be pretty sufficiant. So my search continues as well[sm=bangbang.gif].

Heres the Rim that haunts me... SSR 17s, lightest forged rims I have found so far for the Stang, but IMO ugly, LOL
Old 10-18-2006, 09:14 PM
callahan
3rd Gear Member

It's the nature of the beast to always see something you want more. Try tire rack, discount tire direct, and any other site you can think of. I recently bought the Replica 2005 Mustang chrome 17 x 9 wheel from discount tire direct. It looks like the V-6 mustang's stock wheel, which I happen to like. It squares up the 255/50/17 aftermarket tires better than the stock 17 x 8 stock wheel. The chrome looks great with the silver car. In the spring, I'll probably add the Ford Mustang spinners with the pony center cap.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:23 PM
|UCF|chron
2nd Gear Member

im having trouble selecting a rim as well, stuck between a couple of choices and i have to choose fast bc im getting them soon

Quick Reply: Forged vs Lightweight vs Other?