Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 03:14 AM
20newstang06

Default Lemon?

New to the forum so not sure if anyone has posted these problems but here it is
1) Bought 2006 GT convertible new on July 1 of this year and after washing it today noticed that it is leaking on the passenger side.
2) Constant rattling behind the front seats near the doors
3) Was taking my girlfriend home at took a left turn at about 17 mph (residential neighborhood) and all of a sudden the passenger door opened! Now the stang locks its doors automatically when I put the car in gear and both of her hand were on her lap when this occured. Anyone else have this??

I love my car and will be calling the dealer to make an appt since it is still under warranty but I am posting it in curiosity to see if these are normal, everyday problems or if I have a true lemon. Thanks
Old 10-23-2006, 03:50 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Lemon?

Yes, welcome to the world of American automobile quality! "Quality is job number 782!"
You must have bought a car made on a Monday or a Friday!
Just be thankful you haven't seen the "check engine" light yet!
All is to be expected when dealing with this car! Just be thankful you didn't shell out $200K for the Ford GT. It has just as many problems.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:00 AM
petepete
5th Gear Member

good thing she most likely was wearing her seat belt o_O
Old 10-23-2006, 04:03 AM
Cindy
4th Gear Member

[sm=welcomesign.gif] To The Forum...
Old 10-23-2006, 03:32 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Yes, I got the "check engine" light at 1400 miles, they replaced the computer (three times) before they found one that worked, the paint is already starting to oxidize (car was born in May, '06), it rattles, etc. etc.... Build quality is not what it should be -- and Ford wonders why they lost 5 BILLION dollars last quarter?

But, it is a cool car, and fun to drive!
Old 10-23-2006, 04:26 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 20newstang06
I love my car and will be calling the dealer to make an appt since it is still under warranty but I am posting it in curiosity to see if these are normal, everyday problems or if I have a true lemon. Thanks
First, you will find that the internet is a wonderful sponge for bad news, so make sure you apply the approrpriate filter to the comiseration you find on any given issue...

That cuts both ways - just because there are many people seeing it, does not make it "normal".

But.... Not many threads (though there are some) titled - "wow, I cannot belive how well Ford attached my speedo needle - it just works right everytime" (that is, good news does not sell as well as bad).

Second, doors popping open and rattling sounds like your doors are not aligned correctly and while slight misalignement is typical, they most definitely should not do that and I would sit on a service manager's desk until I got an explanation and a repair...

I have an '06 Vert and the doors were slightly out of alignment, but it was entirely cosmetic and did not rattle (I wiggled the hinges and latches around to straighten them and the hood out)...
Old 10-24-2006, 12:45 AM
prettypony
1st Gear Member

I would bring her right back to the dealer. The doors are supposed to automatically lock when you drive, so that part is normal. The door flying open, however, is not. The rattles are not right either.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:52 AM
Rupp
3rd Gear Member

The opposite opinion. I have an 05 Torch Red vert and it has absolutely no rattles, it doesn't leak, and the doors stay shut. It's like anything else. Some have a few rattles others don't. Have you done a lot of modifications? Suspension mods?
Old 10-24-2006, 09:45 PM
ikewineb
1st Gear Member

I assume it is the passenger side door leaking. With that also being the same one that came open, I would assume the door is out of align. Your problems are rare. I have had 6 mustangs and have never spent more than 300 on any of them. No, you do not have a lemon. It varies by state, but for a vehicle to be classified as a lemon in NC a vehicle must be brought back to the shop 3 times for the same problem and it is impossible to resolve the issue. Alignments are covered under your warranty for 12 months or 12,000 miles. Contact the dealer that sold you the car, and I am sure they can take care of the problem.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:48 PM
06Vista
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

Yes, welcome to the world of American automobile quality! "Quality is job number 782!"
You must have bought a car made on a Monday or a Friday!
Just be thankful you haven't seen the "check engine" light yet!
All is to be expected when dealing with this car! Just be thankful you didn't shell out $200K for the Ford GT. It has just as many problems.
LOL, I make that joke to myself everytime I see that sticker "quality is job none" But job 782 sounds even better.

Quick Reply: Lemon?