Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why buy a CAI & tune if the computer adjusts 2 your driving?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 01:42 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Default Why buy a CAI & tune if the computer adjusts 2 your driving?

Does this make sense or am I missing something??? Thanks.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:05 PM
lmmmmm
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Why buy a CAI & tune if the computer adjusts 2 your driving?

1. The tuner could turn off adaptive learning (if i remember correctly)

2. take a minute and reload the program if you feel the tune has lost its edge. (normal process)
Old 10-23-2006, 03:30 PM
ticklemonster

Getting rid of the throttle lag, Much improved acceleration. And even a bit better gas mileage (if you can stay out of it) are reasons enough for me

Old 10-23-2006, 03:41 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

I just got off the phone with Brent at Brenspeed and he said the computer re-learning everything blah blah blah is a myth. If you have a good tuner...everything should be OK
Old 10-23-2006, 03:47 PM
skilz4u2nv
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mAnYsTyLeS

I just got off the phone with Brent at Brenspeed and he said the computer re-learning everything blah blah blah is a myth. If you have a good tuner...everything should be OK

wow someone trying to sell you something told you something you wanted to hear to move his product?! thats unheard of! lol
my car dealer toldme i was a buff young man and that i needed to buy this car... so i did lol

all jokes aside i bought my cai and tuner from brent so i know he is a good guy but i have read in reviews and previews that these mustangs do have some sort of adaptive learning on them
Old 10-23-2006, 04:03 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The ECU has many functions:

ignition timing
fuel injection mapping
drive-by-wire functions
accessory operation (lights, fans, etc.)

The "adaptive learning" ONLY affects the drive-by-wire function. The O2-sensor based A/F correction is very limited in how far it can deviate from the fuel injection map.

So, the computer can only make relatively minor adjustments "by itself".

If you want to change the ingition timing or the accessory controls, the ONLY way to do that is with a new tune file. Also, because the ECU can only make minor changes to the fuel mapping by itself (and those changes aren't neccisarily "correct" anyway), you still need a tune to make significant changes there as well.

Keep in mind that the ultimate programmed GOAL of the ECU isn't "performance" from the factory. It's a combination of performance, mileage, emissions, and whatnot. An aftermarket tune file is optimized for performance.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:08 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

I totally hear what you're saying, but he had all my payment information (he knew I was going to buy). I'm sure if there was something I should know about in regards to that specific question -- he would have had no problems telling me.

ORIGINAL: skilz4u2nv

ORIGINAL: mAnYsTyLeS

wow someone trying to sell you something told you something you wanted to hear to move his product?! thats unheard of! lol
my car dealer toldme i was a buff young man and that i needed to buy this car... so i did lol

all jokes aside i bought my cai and tuner from brent so i know he is a good guy but i have read in reviews and previews that these mustangs do have some sort of adaptive learning on them
Old 10-23-2006, 04:13 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Heck, I've had Brent @ Brenspeed talk me OUT of buying parts that I was otherwise about to buy.

He's not just spewing BS to try to make a sale.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:05 PM
shooterm1

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

The ECU has many functions:

ignition timing
fuel injection mapping
drive-by-wire functions
accessory operation (lights, fans, etc.)

The "adaptive learning" ONLY affects the drive-by-wire function. The O2-sensor based A/F correction is very limited in how far it can deviate from the fuel injection map.

So, the computer can only make relatively minor adjustments "by itself".

If you want to change the ingition timing or the accessory controls, the ONLY way to do that is with a new tune file. Also, because the ECU can only make minor changes to the fuel mapping by itself (and those changes aren't neccisarily "correct" anyway), you still need a tune to make significant changes there as well.

Keep in mind that the ultimate programmed GOAL of the ECU isn't "performance" from the factory. It's a combination of performance, mileage, emissions, and whatnot. An aftermarket tune file is optimized for performance.

OK, well - back to the subject at hand then. .... sorta'

if this ECU is so adaptable and programmable, why is this process a Black Art instead of becoming a Cottage Industry?

instead of this industry opening up (as it looked like it would 5-10 years ago), its actually shinking!

there are now fewer players and its less competitive!

who's responsible for that and how can we change it?
Old 10-23-2006, 06:05 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

I remember when I took my car to get Dynoed, I hadn't upgraded my tune in a while because everyone convinced me that the adaptive learning had been removed from the process. So if this is true, I only Dynoed at 274 RWHP and 292 RWTQ on a Mustang Dyno with C&L Intake and Brenspeed's 93 oct tune. Along with Pypes O/R H-pipe. Evolution loaded their tune in and I dynoed 300RWHP & 317 RWTQ on a fresh tune. Yet at the track they performed identically, down to the hundredths of a second.

Which leads me to believe if I had updated my tune prior to the dyno, my Brenspeed tune would have most likely been at or close to the same numbers as the Evolution tune.

Quick Reply: Why buy a CAI & tune if the computer adjusts 2 your driving?