Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is why Europe doesnt get mustangs..

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 11:55 AM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Default RE: This is why Europe doesnt get mustangs..

I think he was being patriotic and trying to compare it to a british car. Theres no way a stang can hang with an Elise in the corners, at least not without some hardcore modifications.
-P.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:02 PM
Centurion96
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ThisBlood147
The only points he really bashed on it were on the interior and the handling. He seemed quite impressed with the styling and the motor/power.......which, is what the new Shelby is really all about. Just take it with a grain of salt my mustang brethren.

Exactly. Back in the mid '70s through the mid '80s I joined the SCCA and raced in their solo II races (autocross) in F stock. My cars during this period were a '65 Mustang 289, a '68 Camaro 327, and a '75 Firebird 350. All had manual transmissions and floor shifters. On a tight road course I would eat 396s, 428s and 455HOs as I had a better front to rear weight ratio and far less understeer that my bigger block brethren. On a drag strip there was no comparison, they would leave me in their dust. The same holds true for the GT and the GT 500. I've never had the chance to drive a GT 500 but maybe I'll get back into autocrossing to see how well the GT will hold her own weight.

As an aside, about 30 years ago I spent two summers working in Sweden and Finland, I was amazed at the number of American cars that were over there, especially pony cars. It was like stepping back into a time machine as every car I saw was absolutely pristine. Mostly cars from the '50s and the '60s and all looked like they had just rolled out of the showroom. What I learned was that a lot of the owners had attended colleges in the US and purchased them and had them sent back upon graduation. There was a labor of love over there as these owners did all of their own maintenance and repair. I never saw one junk heap, either American or European. Trust me they do like our muscle cars over there.

Man does not live by ET's alone.

BB
Old 10-27-2006, 12:15 PM
hogpowr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jc63_

LIMEY BASTAID!!!

For someone who called it cheap, he sure did have a smile on his face the whole time...
Exactly Right!! He never stopped laughing and,..........and that shiitt eating grin, well he couldnt control it. He loved that car.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:21 PM
chp2150
1st Gear Member

He has simply proven the point that in both cars and airplanes you can never have too much horsepower or thrust!

Now, if he could just wipe that goofy grin off his face every time the supercharger whine spools up, which translates into more rubber vaporization!!

Old 10-27-2006, 01:39 PM
A_Sixer
2nd Gear Member

My .02......

First IMO the comments where fair!! the car does not handle without suspenssion mods, he did praise looks (exterior) and power (engine), the plastic interior is unfortunately something detroit continues to put out......

Now, any other car that "handles" in Europe costs twice as much.

There is a point he did not make.... that car would be slicing and dicing in Europe with minor simple suspenssion Mods, however......Europe suffers from what I call "the great tragedy"..... "Homologation"....

Guys you can not change anything on the car without being approved by a goverment body!!!!! Eroupean tunners are left to wildly paint their rides, and to customize the interior with flashy electronics.......

In Europe, you can't just throw a SC or Turbo, not even change diameters in your rims........."Sucks!!!!"

So IMO, the review was fair as long as we understand that the pony in Europe is "unmodifiable".... what you bought is what you drive..... other wise it wouold have gone something like....buy it for 40k and spend 5k more in Mods and you have a superb 45k car that would light the streets on fire!!!
Old 10-27-2006, 01:41 PM
A_Sixer
2nd Gear Member

double post sorry
Old 10-27-2006, 03:36 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Since when did any European reviewer praise an American car? Oh sure, the classic Euro magazines love American cars. Our new cars are considered cheaply designed, executed and assembled. They've panned the Z06 as well, so I'm not too concerned about what European reviewers think.....besides what does Britain make that readily available in the U.S. that's similar in price to a Mustang? Jags, Range Rovers, Bentleys, Rolls Royces are all owned by non-British companies and are as [sm=bling.gif] as it gets.
We don't have 7 foot wide roadways here, our gas isn't $6/gal and since when did a non-luxury Euro auto maker besides VW find success here in the last 30 years? They enjoy nimble little runabouts. I'm sure that reviewer would jump at the chance to own a GT500 if he could afford one....he had the f-ing nerve to criticize OUR food?!!! Have you ever eaten true English food? YUCK!!! A pudding made of meat is pretty disgusting......JMHO
Old 10-27-2006, 04:17 PM
flyingkiwi

The reveiwer is former British Touring Car champion Jason Plato (similar to CanAM). So he definately knows his stuff about cars and driving them fast.

I'd love to see his review(albeit comparing apples to oranges) of the Mustang vs the Lotus Elise if anyone has the link they can post.

Old 10-27-2006, 04:21 PM
goxley11
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05gtdriver

They enjoy nimble little runabouts. I'm sure that reviewer would jump at the chance to own a GT500 if he could afford one....
I attended the Paris auto show a couple of weeks ago and was terribly disappointed in what I saw there. The Ferrari and Maserati displays had some horsepower, but the remainder was just squirrel-powered oversized rollerskates. I was especially disappointed by the Ford section. I hoped they would have brought a Mustang just to attract visitors to their display, but there was nothing but sardine cans.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14894/AA4D38016F134B2ABD742AFA24378260.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-27-2006, 04:34 PM
Skoshi42
2nd Gear Member

Heres a review of the new Corvette C6... it gets a hell of alot worse.. sorry chevy guys...

http://videos.streetfire.net/recentv...67008ba5ad.htm

EDITED: thanks ford dude for the correction.. my mistake..

Quick Reply: This is why Europe doesnt get mustangs..