Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done custom leather in their car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 06:53 PM
pegasusphototx
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Has anyone done custom leather in their car?

ORIGINAL: GT Premi

Huh? My car is no more stock looking than yours. I guess your chin spoiler and tint makes all the difference in the world.
His isn't stock... he has Nitros!

-danny
Old 10-27-2006, 06:56 PM
CainMotorsports2102
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT Premi

Huh? My car is no more stock looking than yours. I guess your chin spoiler and tint makes all the difference in the world.
lol, you hate on me, ill hate on you back. Heres the deal, i know what my car is and isnt, if you dont like it, i dontreally care, but if you say my itnerior looks like ****, so be it. I know what it looks like now, i know that in the first pick it is just as tight as ole buddys witht he suede up top, a little loose on the driver side down by the seatbelt latch. It makes me happy, i like it, you can like it or choose not to, didnt meant o start a flame war, just struck a cord.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:25 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

didnt meant o start a flame war, just struck a cord.
No......you called someone an ******* for not liking the way something looked. That was completely uncalled for. There's no reason to flame on someone that hard for having a different take/opinion on something.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:25 PM
CainMotorsports2102
3rd Gear Member

okay then, my bad. if you wanted the flaming to end you would drop it. HE STRUCK A CORD WITH ME, i retaliated, it was wrong.....

the funny thing is this, everyone wants to put their 2 cents in, i stay off of here for long periods at a time for this exact same reason,all kinds of ppl with no room to talk inserting their opinion on stuff they have no expierience with. but thats just how it is. Ill just go back with my reading of how to change blinker fuild and OMG we have a slow fill issue
Old 10-27-2006, 07:29 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Fair enough. Let's just call a truce here and get back on the topic...........cuz I'm interested in an aftermarket interior job myself. And I'd like to get some first hand feedback from those who've done it.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:34 PM
CainMotorsports2102
3rd Gear Member

good plan. Heres what i know if it counts for anything. My car was a little over a year old, in every other job ive ever done ive had to add padding to the seats to make sure everything fit like new tight leather should. Most of us(depending of *** time in the car) shouldnt have to do this. If you do the katzkins, they are the best, tightest fitting you are going to get. The main thing is using everything you got to pull them tight over the foams, use your fingers to roll the welting the right way, this will keep them from shifting too after a little bit of sitting. I usually use a steamer, but it went capouey after doing the back seats and i had to do the fronts without one, this makes the leather tighten up immeadiately, if you dont have one you can just do the best you can and let the sun shrink them to proper fitment. Every pic i have of mine is from it being like a fresh tattoo, less than a week old. After a week or so they tighten up a ton, it just takes some time. My only mistake was by the seatbelton both side i should have added some padding to fill in the air space, they never quite got perfect. Im as picky as anyone on here can possibly be about things, but I definitely see no need to pay upwards of 500 bucks for installation of katzkins or any quality replacement covers. If you have any detailed questions lemme know.

Old 10-27-2006, 07:48 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the input CM2102, I'm probably a tad bit less particular about the tightness than you are........so I'm sure I'd be more than pleased with the results you have gotten. How's the feel of the leather? Is it a bit harder or more plush than stock leather/vinyl?

I currently have cloth seats in my GT (wasn't a huge fan of the feel of the factory leather at the time).......but I do agree that leather looks 1000X better. Since seeing a few aftermarket interior jobs like the ones in here.....it's something I will look into in the future (after my performance mods are done). I'd like to go with standard dark charcoal or perhaps even black, and then do some white leather inserts for the seats and trim. I've got Katzkins saved on my browser from some time ago, and so far they are the only company I've gotten any recommendations on. But I'm a careful shopper, and I do want a chance to compare their work with some other companies before I pull the trigger.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:52 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

This is the interior look I'd want to go with...

[IMG]local://upfiles/28087/F6E9DBD2453A4D0B97AFC477096D97A6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/28087/3EFF97A764EF452D8468A3508524DDA2.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-27-2006, 07:54 PM
CainMotorsports2102
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ThisBlood147

Thanks for the input CM2102, I'm probably a tad bit less particular about the tightness than you are........so I'm sure I'd be more than pleased with the results you have gotten. How's the feel of the leather? Is it a bit harder or more plush than stock leather/vinyl?

I currently have cloth seats in my GT (wasn't a huge fan of the feel of the factory leather at the time).......but I do agree that leather looks 1000X better. Since seeing a few aftermarket interior jobs like the ones in here.....it's something I will look into in the future (after my performance mods are done). I'd like to go with standard dark charcoal or perhaps even black, and then do some white leather inserts for the seats and trim. I've got Katzkins saved on my browser from some time ago, and so far they are the only company I've gotten any recommendations on. But I'm a careful shopper, and I do want a chance to compare their work with some other companies before I pull the trigger.
I had stock cloth, and hated the bandage feel of them. The katzkins come in multiple finishes, you can get vinyl/leather or premium which is full leather, its very plush, almost too plush cause you feel nervous around them. They are also holding up very well, i did them on a really nasty rainy weekend in june and was very disapointed with the turnout, but after it settled i becase super happy, ill try to snap some updated shots this weekend.

You cant really go wrong with katzkin, many designers use them for their leather supplyer and they do ge some of the best materials out there, also the turnaround is great.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:55 PM
CainMotorsports2102
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ThisBlood147

This is the interior look I'd want to go with...

[IMG]local://upfiles/28087/F6E9DBD2453A4D0B97AFC477096D97A6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/28087/3EFF97A764EF452D8468A3508524DDA2.jpg[/IMG]
thats exactly how mine look now, the rears came out great from the getgo(thanks to the steamer) and it took almost 3 weeks for the fronts to settle, if thats what you like, seriously check out www.shopsar.com and look into the katzkins.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done custom leather in their car?