Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted Window Trim

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 09:43 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Painted Window Trim

I also look at this way. If it came from the factory like that (painted to match) I don't think anyone would even really notice or talk about it. In the 60's there was no grainy black plastic on the exterior. Painted surfaces, stainless, chrome, other specialized ornamental trim plastic but not this "cost savings grainy black junk".
Old 10-31-2006, 09:50 PM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

Looks great man minor details mean a lot
Old 10-31-2006, 09:56 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I've used a primer for plastic with duplicolor paint and clear with great results. A better idea would be to produce a nice chrome trim to replace the plastic. I'd buy it.

This isn't an exact match for the Ford toreador red, but it was close and looks great. You don't need a pro to paint plastic trim if you have some common sense and good prep. The pic really doesn't do it justice, it looked factory. all done with duplicolor spray cans, primed, painted and cleared.

ORIGINAL: fairlane292

Man... I wouldn't do that. Get a price from a couple shops (need to do adhesion promoter, primer base and clear.) You sand them smooth, it won't be that expensive to have it done "pro" and it will look factory. If you haven't done the mirrors do that at the same time; overall cost should be reasonable; Duplicolor on that is a big NO NO!!!
Old 10-31-2006, 10:04 PM
05 Ricky
2nd Gear Member

Lookin good....till it starts to peal or scratch. I did that with my fox body and it ended up looking horrible after all the chips and scratches started to pop up just from everyday normal driving. But if you can keep it lookin that good forever, I would be all for it!
Old 10-31-2006, 10:16 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

That's why you paint it yourself, so you can repaint it, but I don't see the window trim on the new stangs seeing many chips from everyday driving. It's pretty well shielded.

This thread prompted me to find a picture of my radio bezel i painted on my ranger. I found my old website on 20megsfree.com, don't they ever clean out their server!!!!LOL! I haven't used that site in years.

check out that custom shiot! I took out the two center air vents and made a custom gauge pod out of fiber glass and bondo. i used pvc pipe to make the holes. painting the radio bezel on the 99 rangers was a bitch because they came with a rubber coating that had to be completely removed.

http://www.rangerfunk.20megsfree.com/photo.html

check out my custom headliner, that's pimptastic.

http://www.rangerfunk.20megsfree.com/photo5.html

ORIGINAL: 05 Ricky

Lookin good....till it starts to peal or scratch. I did that with my fox body and it ended up looking horrible after all the chips and scratches started to pop up just from everyday normal driving. But if you can keep it lookin that good forever, I would be all for it!
Old 10-31-2006, 10:25 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

another thing you could do to protect it after painting is wrap it in that 3M clear plastic, if they sell just strips of the stuff. The ones custom cut for the car are outrageously priced, but maybe you can get it in thin strips for cheap.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:41 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Interior is one thing. Exterior, believe me you're gonna have problems and a big mess. Just do it right and avoid headache.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:53 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I've had front valances painted by pros and done some myself and had just as many chips on each, but thanks for your expertise.

Interior is one thing. Exterior, believe me you're gonna have problems and a big mess. Just do it right and avoid headache.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:56 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Just for the record, are you a professional painter? If not have you tried painting exterior pieces and made a big mess? I'm just trying to see if you have experience.

Old 10-31-2006, 11:41 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

I don't paint for a living although I have restored/painted several vehicles doing all sandblasting, welding and painting myself using the best equipment and materials. No I haven't used Duplicolor spray cans. I do know serveral professional painters and have consulted with them quite a bit over the years. You don't have to believe me, just ask any paint shop about paint or clear from an aeresol can for an exterior application. Body shops don't use it why should you?

Quick Reply: Painted Window Trim