Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle-lag and Ford Dealer input

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 08:27 PM
DoctorQ
2nd Gear Member

Default Throttle-lag and Ford Dealer input

I just got back from my local Ford Dealership to see if they could tighten up the thottle lag. I asked them if they had a recently released Ford flash to reduce the prevalent throttle lag on 2005/2006 GTs (mine's an automatic)... they said they'll check and took the car. Later, they told me Ford does not have a flash to fix this lag... what's interesting is the scanning they did to my car while it was in the back. Here's what's on the service order.. can anyone decifer some of this (i.e., what's "KOEC", or 'OASIS". Anyway, here's the exact read on my workorder: "PERFORM EEC TEST KOEC PASS. USING WDS AND RAN FUEL PRESSURE TEST. INJECTOR FLOW TEST, AND POWER BALANCE TEST. AL TESTS PASSED. RAN OASIS FOR CONCERN. FOUND NO INFORMATION FOR SYSTEM. LITTLE HESITATION IS NORMAL FOR FLY-BY-WIRE THROTTLE SYSTEM. So, is OASIS some kind of flash sniffer to see if ECM was tuned/ re-tuned? Thanks.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:49 PM
5IVE.OH
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Throttle-lag and Ford Dealer input

KEOC=Key On Engine Contribution test. Checks to see if you have any engine cylinder issues with your car.
OASIS= Online ford bulliten board system that we can use to check if there are any Technical Service Bulletins out for your vehicle. We can access this using your VIN number.
Throttle lag is normal in the newer mustangs, it's more prevelant in an auto (my friend has one I drive it all the time) it can be made nearly un-noticable with a decent tune.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:36 PM
Juntech
3rd Gear Member

Ive driven both auto and manual GT within 1 hour. The lag feels non existant in the manual...big time in the auto.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:39 PM
Sonic3v
4th Gear Member

Get a tune and say by by to the lag.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:29 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The "lag" is a side effect of the drive-by-wire throttle.

You can correct it with a good tune.

Also, there are a couple of tricks you can try that make the computer re-set the "learning feature" of the ECU. Many people report that this will elimiante/reduce the lag:

First method, simply disconnect the negative battery cable for several minuties then re-connect it.

Second method, get in the car and turn the key "on" but do not start the engine. Wait for all the dash lights to stop blinking (About 30 seconds, perhaps longer). Once everything is stable, slowly press the gas pedal all the way to the floor, then let it up slowly. After you've released it, turn the ignition off.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:56 PM
DoctorQ
2nd Gear Member

Thx for all the input... I tried the 'lag-reset' trick #2, seemed to work (could have been my wishful thinking), but the next day the lag was back.. guess the tune is the only alternative, but then the concern regarding Dealer's views on ECM flashes and warranty work.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:08 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DoctorQ

Thx for all the input... I tried the 'lag-reset' trick #2, seemed to work (could have been my wishful thinking), but the next day the lag was back.. guess the tune is the only alternative, but then the concern regarding Dealer's views on ECM flashes and warranty work.
I wouldn't worry about the ECM flash. If you have to take the car back to the dealer, just reflash to stock. It takes about 1 minute. The dealer will be able to see that there is no history data in the ECU, but they can't tell that you had a tune in there. If they ask, just say you had the battery removed to have it tested and that must have made the computer loose the data...
Old 11-01-2006, 03:21 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5IVE.OH

KEOC=Key On Engine Contribution test. Checks to see if you have any engine cylinder issues with your car.
OASIS= Online ford bulliten board system that we can use to check if there are any Technical Service Bulletins out for your vehicle. We can access this using your VIN number.
Throttle lag is normal in the newer mustangs, it's more prevelant in an auto (my friend has one I drive it all the time) it can be made nearly un-noticable with a decent tune.
I hope we will be getting lots more great info from you 5IVE.OH!
THx!
Old 11-01-2006, 08:17 AM
saltzy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

I wouldn't worry about the ECM flash. If you have to take the car back to the dealer, just reflash to stock. It takes about 1 minute. The dealer will be able to see that there is no history data in the ECU, but they can't tell that you had a tune in there. If they ask, just say you had the battery removed to have it tested and that must have made the computer loose the data...
Since this thread is winding up, please excuse the hijack. CrazyAl, this is something I've seen mentioned a few times here and you seem to be in the know. The 'history data' in the ECU--what's the timeframe of data that it stores? Is it the last 30 minutes, the last 30 days, or some other metric? For those itchy about going back to the dealer even after returning the program to stock, it might help ease minds if there is only the last, say, 120 minutes of key-on time stored in the ECM then they could reflash to stock, drive for a couple of hours, and then bring the car in to the dealer without too much worry of any hassle based on the lack of any history.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:45 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I honestly don't know how long this data is stored for.

Obviously there has to be some kind of limit as there is only so much memory in the ECU. I am under the impression that it is a long time: days, if not weeks. However, I can't back that up with facts.

Quick Reply: Throttle-lag and Ford Dealer input