Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slotted and or Drilled Rotors. thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 07:22 PM
1fast05GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Slotted and or Drilled Rotors. thoughts?

ORIGINAL: Sherwood06GT

ORIGINAL: 1fast05GT

ORIGINAL: kenthicken

Drilled rotors, if they aren't really good quality, can crack from the heat. This is not a problem with slotted.
Hmmmm....I'm going to assume there is a good reason why folks like Brembo, Bear and Wilwood use drilled rotors. But maybe I just don't get it.
Yeah, you just don't get it. Brembo, Bear and Wilwood make good quality rotors.

THAT, was my point!!!
LOL.... Kenthicken's point was the rotors will crack if they are not good quality.... All is good...
Old 11-02-2006, 08:18 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kenthicken

Drilled rotors, if they aren't really good quality, can crack from the heat. This is not a problem with slotted.
Hmmmm....I'm going to assume there is a good reason why folks like Brembo, Bear and Wilwood use drilled rotors. But maybe I just don't get it.
Note I said "if they aren't good quality." Brembo, Baer and Wilwood qualify as "good quality rotors," no?
Old 11-03-2006, 04:39 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

I just got the gt500 calipers and I ordered the brembo rotors drilled, I know they dont offer any real benefits but they sure *** hell look 10x better .

Att. Andrew
Old 11-03-2006, 01:40 PM
rattsj
2nd Gear Member

According to Kenny Brown the long time road race mustang builder slotted is good drilled is overkill. All the info above is right and good but slotted undrilled rotors are the most practical performance rotor you can get. If you are a competition road course racer you might want the dirlled ones. But like these other posts say it compromises the integrity of the rotor and shortens its life. But slotted is a deffinate quality upgrade.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:42 PM
rattsj
2nd Gear Member

Oh 1 last thing. SSBC was tested as having the best stopping power of brake kits tested by MM&FF and they only sell slotted rotors.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:46 PM
zcat
2nd Gear Member

Androdz - I have 14" drilled & slotted brakes - Wilwoods and they really, really work great - way better than stock. Don't know if it is the holes, slots, pads, extra pistons, disc size or a combination of all the upgrades, but there is no comparison to the stockers in performance and certainly not in the looks department. I took this car to Deal's Gap ( Tail of the Dragon ) a few weeks ago and was amazed at the difference the brakes and suspension upgrades I have had done, since my last trip there. For those that don't know Deal's Gap, its 318 corners in 11 miles, a roller coaster of a road that claims a sportbike or 2 just about every weekend throughout the summer. Its fun, but you gotta control yourself, there are some pretty good drop-offs!
Looks - Don't let anybody kid you, we all like the looks of cool stuff on these cars or we would be driving something else if it was just about speed for the $$$. You could buy an older Stang and drop a few $'s in there - supercharger , ect and be faster for cheaper, but if you bought the new Pony, it was for more than just performance, it was for looks too and big, drilled & slotted brakes make them look even better.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:59 PM
zcat
2nd Gear Member

Crazy Al is correct about the number of holes being less in the street disc. I have seen racing disc with more holes than material and that would compromise longevety for sure. Just the fact that they have both slots and holes will reduce the amount of holes at least in half or thats the way my disc appear. I know the disc set-ups on Z06 vettes and some of the Italy/German supercars are awesome and that was the effect I wantted for my car, plus the performance upgrade. Not all I do is for performance only as the 20" wheels will show, but damn they look good filling the wheelwells and these disc look good filling those wheels- LOL!
Old 11-03-2006, 02:05 PM
zcat
2nd Gear Member

Almost forgot, the braided SS brakelines help too and most kits will come with these lines to replace the rubber lines which have a tendancy to expand under hard braking, leading to that mushy feel also. This alone is considered an upgrade on most motorcycles as they usually have drilled or slotted brakes from the factory.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:04 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: zcat

Androdz - I have 14" drilled & slotted brakes - Wilwoods and they really, really work great - way better than stock. Don't know if it is the holes, slots, pads, extra pistons, disc size or a combination of all the upgrades, but there is no comparison to the stockers in performance and certainly not in the looks department. I took this car to Deal's Gap ( Tail of the Dragon ) a few weeks ago and was amazed at the difference the brakes and suspension upgrades I have had done, since my last trip there. For those that don't know Deal's Gap, its 318 corners in 11 miles, a roller coaster of a road that claims a sportbike or 2 just about every weekend throughout the summer. Its fun, but you gotta control yourself, there are some pretty good drop-offs!
Looks - Don't let anybody kid you, we all like the looks of cool stuff on these cars or we would be driving something else if it was just about speed for the $$$. You could buy an older Stang and drop a few $'s in there - supercharger , ect and be faster for cheaper, but if you bought the new Pony, it was for more than just performance, it was for looks too and big, drilled & slotted brakes make them look even better.
Who ever said I had the stock breaks, I said I got the gt500's brembos.

Att. Andrew
Old 11-25-2006, 02:13 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The 14" wilwoods are awesome.

However, the holes and slots are not why. The reason why is because the rotors are larger and the caliper clamping area (the area of the pistons) is higher.

As I have stated before, if you want a REAL brake upgrade you need something that has either more piston area or a larger diameter rotor (or both). That is where real braking power comes from.

Quick Reply: Slotted and or Drilled Rotors. thoughts?