Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang and Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 02:40 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang and Corvette

ORIGINAL: 8cd03gro

personally, if i had the money to buy a z06, i wouldn't.

yes the z06 is the best performance for the money, but that's all. the car isn't very nice at all. it is pretty comfortable, but not 70k worth. i would be buying the new 911 turbo if i had that money. sure you have to save up a bit, but you get a car that is far better in rain and such (awd) feels even faster than the z06 (although it is about the same, maybe a very small amount faster) because you can launch it so hard, and it has a nicer interior. plus it is a very rare car and it sounds AMAZING. i could see myself getting very bored of a z06 because how often can your REALLY open up a car that powerful? not often enough to pay 70k imo, you need more than just ***** out performance for that much money, or i would just get something like an aerial atom, and buy another, nice little car for everyday driving, because thats what you are going to end up doing with the z06 anyway. just my 2 cents...
Nail on the head! Why do you think Porsche owners laugh at Corvettes? A 911 Turbo is an amazing engineering feat. Very fast, very comfortable(for the type of vehicle it is) and nearly hand made. Yes it's about $35-40K dearer than a Z06, but it's worth every penny more. It's like getting a tailored suit vs an off the rack one, both look good(at a distance), but the fit, quality and craftsmanship of the tailor-made suit will always be impressive.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:12 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

The Corvette is American and that is what is most important to probably the vast majority of their owners. They don't want a German or foreign car. I doubt many Porsche owners "laugh" at Vettes. They might stick their noses up at them but they don't laugh. But then, most 'Vette owners would probably do the same to Porche owners.

ORIGINAL: 05gtdriver

ORIGINAL: 8cd03gro

personally, if i had the money to buy a z06, i wouldn't.

yes the z06 is the best performance for the money, but that's all. the car isn't very nice at all. it is pretty comfortable, but not 70k worth. i would be buying the new 911 turbo if i had that money. sure you have to save up a bit, but you get a car that is far better in rain and such (awd) feels even faster than the z06 (although it is about the same, maybe a very small amount faster) because you can launch it so hard, and it has a nicer interior. plus it is a very rare car and it sounds AMAZING. i could see myself getting very bored of a z06 because how often can your REALLY open up a car that powerful? not often enough to pay 70k imo, you need more than just ***** out performance for that much money, or i would just get something like an aerial atom, and buy another, nice little car for everyday driving, because thats what you are going to end up doing with the z06 anyway. just my 2 cents...
Nail on the head! Why do you think Porsche owners laugh at Corvettes? A 911 Turbo is an amazing engineering feat. Very fast, very comfortable(for the type of vehicle it is) and nearly hand made. Yes it's about $35-40K dearer than a Z06, but it's worth every penny more. It's like getting a tailored suit vs an off the rack one, both look good(at a distance), but the fit, quality and craftsmanship of the tailor-made suit will always be impressive.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

ya Porsche people laugh and then wipe the corners and lose the vette
Old 11-05-2006, 05:23 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

can you say myth or rumor
As far as the new vette goes..
Not a myth or rumor.. they just have not announced it yet on which name it will be.
My brother works for GM and he told me about this AND showed me pics.
Its not just a concept now.. It looks pretty much like vettes always have.. minor body changes. Right now they are going with the name SS.
But it is coming.. mark my words.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:37 PM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

Trust me im not in any positional finacially to purchase a vette although if i was i still think id go with the mustang because unlike the vette there are so many aftermarket modifications avaliable for your stang and you can make it your own custom stang i think thats all the fun in having one ... dont get me wrong you can upgrade your vette but not like the mustang ...when you get a vette you pretty much get what you roll out of the dealership most of us think of the stang as a blank drawing board when we roll it out of the dealership
Old 11-05-2006, 09:20 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

The Z06 already lost them in the straights.

Unless your talking about the $130k 911 turbo or $440k Carrera GT (itself only four tenths quicker to 60), which, at that point is apples and oranges.

ORIGINAL: Ford_Dude

ya Porsche people laugh and then wipe the corners and lose the vette
Old 11-05-2006, 10:43 PM
viza
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gothikka
What do you guys think???
I think you like mustangs or you don't.

We all know camaro's and corvettes will smoke us off the show room floor they're also a lot more expensive. I bought one because I like mustangs, especially the 60/70's ones. They went retro so I got one. I like the way the new ones look and drive. It's a muscle car that won't kill your ability to pay your mortgage. It's fast, got plenty of power and looks good. I can still max my 401k, my son's college fund and take my wife out to eat sometimes.

I could drive a corvette, but on my salary, not comfortably. I don't know if I'd want a daily driver that expensive anyway with all the schmucks on the road. A Mustang is a very nice comprimise between daily driving and muscle/sports car. It's extremely comfortable to drive as well. Even in traffic, it's not bad. I'm definitely not spending more than 27k on a car I'm driving to work. 70k is crazy talk. At 27k, the mustang is the best there is man. Show me something that can touch it and looks better and I'll sell it and get one >8)

Ford vs. Chevy vs. Pontiac and the rest has nothing to do with it. It's a kick *** car.

-Viz
Old 11-05-2006, 10:45 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Why doesnt Ford make a car in the same class as the Corvette? I was talking to a guy at work today (hes loaded $$$) and he wants to get a new car. I said..."why not pick up a vette?" He doesnt want one because there are to many of them on the road. I hear that from a lot of people....I think that if Forde made a car in the same class as the vette that they would sell a ton of them. Keep the price of it around the same as the corvette. I know they make the saleen but to a lot of people its just a mustang with a body kit on it. Don't get me wrong...I love the mustang but I think they need something in between the Stang and the GT. What do you guys think???

Called a Ford GT
Old 11-06-2006, 01:08 AM
gothikka
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EmperorOfChicken

wait did you just say the saleen was a mustang with a wide body kit..... do you know what a saleen is? if not, do some research. who cares if people think that is a mustang with a wide body kit, sounds like that guy cares to much about what people think about him.

Yes, to a lot of people the saleen is a mustang with a body kit on it. Its like a lingenfelter Corvette. No matter what you do to it its still a Corvette. Same with the saleen.....its still a mustang. I didn't start this thread to argue with people, I started it for good discussion.

I would like to see the new camaro make it too. IMO the Camaros and TAs up until 2002 were equal to the Mustangs but they only sold 17% as many as ford. I think if GM markets them right this time they will have better luck. I think the fact that its going to have 400 HP will help them out. As long as they keep the price down I dont see how they can go wrong. Does anybody know what the price is going to be?

Good point about Ford not being able to take sales away from the Corvette. The Corvette has to much history behind it for Ford to jump in with a new flagship car to take sales away from GM. I don't think it would work either. Thats probably why they stick with the Mustang base on all there "high end" sports cars.

Old 11-06-2006, 01:20 AM
gothikka
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: viza

What do you guys think???
I think you like mustangs or you don't.

We all know camaro's and corvettes will smoke us off the show room floor they're also a lot more expensive. I bought one because I like mustangs, especially the 60/70's ones. They went retro so I got one. I like the way the new ones look and drive. It's a muscle car that won't kill your ability to pay your mortgage. It's fast, got plenty of power and looks good. I can still max my 401k, my son's college fund and take my wife out to eat sometimes.

I could drive a corvette, but on my salary, not comfortably. I don't know if I'd want a daily driver that expensive anyway with all the schmucks on the road. A Mustang is a very nice comprimise between daily driving and muscle/sports car. It's extremely comfortable to drive as well. Even in traffic, it's not bad. I'm definitely not spending more than 27k on a car I'm driving to work. 70k is crazy talk. At 27k, the mustang is the best there is man. Show me something that can touch it and looks better and I'll sell it and get one >8)

Ford vs. Chevy vs. Pontiac and the rest has nothing to do with it. It's a kick *** car.

-Viz
I agree 100%. The GT is the best bang for the buck. I could afford a new Corvette but not comfortably. I had to make the decision between a 2004 Corvette and a 2006 GT. The only reason I went with the vette is for the resale value. I never keep a car long enough to pay it off so for me to buy a new car is kind of a waste of money. If I would have got the GT as soon as I drove it off the lot I would have lost 15% off the value of the car. The GT I was looking as was $29,000 and the Corvette was $27,100 (13,000 miles). I think from a financial standpoint I made the right choice.

If anybody was wondering why I post on these forums and dont own a mustang......I actually bought a 1987 fox body a few weeks ago. I got it for $800, its my new project. I like to post on these forums because there is always a lot of people to debate/discuss with. If I got to the Corvette forums its filled with old retired people.lol No fun at all.

Quick Reply: Mustang and Corvette