Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sirius Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 11:32 AM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Default Sirius Sucks

Do I have a bad unit or does everyones Sirius sound like sh$t?. All my stations sound heavily compressed. The FM radio sounds much better. I actually cant stand to listen to it because there is no range, its just a very flat and boring sound. No static or anything. We have Sirius at the gym I go to and it sounds good there, and my buddy has XM in his Envoy which sounds crystal clear. So do I have a bad unit or does everyones sound this way?
Old 11-06-2006, 11:57 AM
Goody625
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Sirius Sucks

What unit do you have???

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]
Old 11-06-2006, 11:59 AM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

'07 GT
Shaker 500

I shoulda known to post that to begin with. Sorry.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:03 PM
NEPATS
1st Gear Member

I have an external unit and it sounds fine. I havent listened to ******** radio since the day I plugged it in. Long live Howard!
Old 11-06-2006, 12:11 PM
Goody625
3rd Gear Member

Not a pro yet but there ALOT of posts about Sirius and the Shaker 500 in the MF. (Just try a search) I removed my S500 and replaced it withan Alpine head unit, and have a Sirius Starmate. It is wired directly into the radio and sounde pretty good. There still is a little loss of sound quality, I think, since it is still FM modulated(playing through an FM station. Im overall happy with my setup though.

Hope that helped.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:25 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Ive heard Sirius and XM both in many peoples cars and personally Ill be going with Sirius.. I was very satisfied with what I heard and havent heard anything like you describe before... Im thinking it might be your unit.. might want to look into replacing the shaker 500 anyways, since it improves overall stereo performance.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:34 PM
Johnnie D
2nd Gear Member

Its not the unit,,,well i dont think it is...i have the sirius replay, and if you have it set up with fm modulation it sounds like crap. You need to have it hardwired to the head unit. Mine sounds terrible when its modulating through an fm station but when i play it in the boombox it sounds fine.....I havent hardwired mine yet but it SHOULD sound much better that way.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:37 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Johnnie D

Its not the unit,,,well i dont think it is...i have the sirius replay, and if you have it set up with fm modulation it sounds like crap. You need to have it hardwired to the head unit. Mine sounds terrible when its modulating through an fm station but when i play it in the boombox it sounds fine.....I havent hardwired mine yet but it SHOULD sound much better that way.
I think hes talking about the built in Sirius in the 07 shakers though.. thats why I didnt mention this.. but if he is using an outside unit and playing it through FM then yes youre correct this is most likely the problem.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:45 PM
Goody625
3rd Gear Member

I've noticed a little loss in sound quality with my unit, but I butght an adapter kit that boosts the signal? of the stock antenna. Until I purchased that antenna adapter kit, mine sounded like crap! Its still not CD quality, but its much better that total stock. Heres how Ive got it set up, if anyone cares.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-06-2006, 12:55 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Thx for all the replys everyone. I am using the built in hardwired version that comes stock on the '07. If thats just the way it sounds then **** on it. I'm not replacing anything. I listen to CD/RW's most of the time anyway. I'm not real blown away by satellite so i'm not going to pay for it when it runs out. I used to listen to Howard religiously when he was on FM but now that I've been away for awhile I dont miss him and just cant seem to get back into him. I cant stand all his freakin whining. A guy who has a 500mil contract should shut the hell up in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Sirius Sucks