Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attention GMS CAI users...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 03:18 PM
DoctorQ
2nd Gear Member

Default Attention GMS CAI users...

I'm really curious to know if those who have been running the GMS CAI (w/ calibrated MAF sensor) have seen an increase or decrease in their fuel economy (MPG)? Although there are a few GMS bashing threads going around (mostly around their integrity and design), I haven't seen any which state this product does not work as advertised. For some, a "tuneless" solution not only is attractive from a warranty perspective... but let's face it, tuning will squeeze a few more HP out of that 4.6L, but at the same time, it will push tolerances closer to their life-expectancy limits (tightening up throttle-lag, shift pressure points, etc). I'd like to get a few more HPs out with a CAI.. but not at the expense of shortening the life of my powertrain.. I'm in for the long-haul, not weekend timeslips. Anyway, input to the MPG impact by using the GMS CAI ? Thx.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:31 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Attention GMS CAI users...

Sorry, I don't have any input on the MPG issue. But I did want to comment on the other part of your post.

I do understand that the GMS intake is great for people that want a simple solution and don't plan on doing a lot of mods to their car. As a "lone mod" it's great. If you aren't planning on doing very many mods, then it's an excellent choice. If you were comparing a "CAI+ tune" vs the GMS intake (and that was your ONLY mod) then I'd say the GMS would be a great decision. (If you have a manual trans. For an auto the tune has other advantages)

However, I do NOT understand how it is appealing from a warranty or reliability standpoint. The GMS intake is a "mod" to your car just like a tune is. How can you justify the GMS mod but not justify a tune from a warranty perspective? If one is OK then surely the other is too...and vice versa. I mean, I understand that the GMS is cheaper than a different CAI+tune, but from purely a warranty standpoint, what's the difference?

Furthermore, (auto trans aside) there is no difference in reliability between the GMS intake with it's "ECU Fake-out calibrated MAF" and and a tuner which simply alters the A/F tables. The end result which the engine sees--increased air and fuel delivery--is the same regardless.

The differnce is that the GMS is an inflexible solution whereas the CAI+ Tuner is adaptable, has other features (which you may or may not want), and is more expensive.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:48 PM
DoctorQ
2nd Gear Member

I'm referring to flashing the ECM warranty concerns (vs. not having to flash the ECM). Although many folks on this forum believe that dealerships cannot tell if you have flashed the S197 ECM, that's not entirely true. There are many controllers in the new S197 powertrain (not just the at the ECM). (fuel pump, transmission, etc). Each controller (as I understand it) stores the vehicles VIN#, and the ECM 'checks in' with each during validation cycles. That's why many say you need to put on 50-100 miles of driving AFTER a reflash, so all the controllers sync up. If you don't, it's easy to tell a recent ECM reflash has occurred. As far as powertrain longevity, I'm referring specifially to 'tightening up' shift points on an automatic. This is great for those who want to have gear shift points held longer for higher torque; however, when transmission finally does shift, there is added pressure on shift point mechanics (obviously), thus additional mechanical wear over time. My point was that I plan to minimize my powertrain/performance mods in lieu of hoping to get 7 yrs/ 100K+ miles out of my new 2006GT.. that's all... I think there are others who opt for this route as well, as opposed to the weekend timeslip rush.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:58 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

OK, I think I know what you mean about the ECM reflash now.

There is a lot of speculation regarding the ECM. As far as I know, the lack of history data that is caused by a reflash does look suspicious, but simply disconnecting the battery causes the same result. If the dealer sees a lack of this data, they can tell that SOMETHING happened, but they cannot tell what that "something" was. Has anyone actually had a dealer refuse service or warranty work because of this? I'd like to see if we can get some empirical information here.

As for the transmission, you should note that firmer shifting and higher internal transmission pressures actually INCREASE transmission life and decrease operating temperatures. This is because the transmission's internal clutches normally slip a great deal during a typical "slow" shift. A quicker "sporty" shift has less clutch slippage, which generates less heat and clutch wear. It is very common for people that do a lot of towing to install "shift kits" for this very reason. Of course, excessively firm "neck snapping" shifts do provide additional loads to some of the drivetrain parts, but you're not going to get that level of firmness with a simple tune.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:15 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

The final point you made in regards to trans life is absolutely true. A harder shifting trans will have less wear to friction materials but will have more wear to mechanical components due to the increase in torque shock. I would love to provide you with input regarding PCM calibrations. I work for Ford. I bascially give help to dealer mechanics when they do not know how to fix the vehicle in the shop. When the dealer is out of resources, they call me for advice. Here is what I tell them:

There ARE ways to check for aftermarket calibrations. They are ALL detectable in one way or another. Some require outsourcing to a place where the PCM can be systematically checked. Others will set a code in the pcm that literally says: Aftermarket calibration deteceted or Software modification performed. Odds are that if your calibration does not set the code or create a repeat pain-in-the-*** problem that nobody can figure out; it will not be detected. We will send inspectors on vehicles that are suspicious or show signs of modification. Presence of the modification does not actually have to be present either. I have denied warranty on Lightnings that had obvious impact marks on the face of the supercharger pulley. Someone had obviously removed this pulley (outside of dealer personel). They sure didn't do it for curiosity or replacement (that is what warranty is for). The only logical reason would be the installation of aftermarket and reinstallation of factory - therefore the vehicle had been modified and upped boost is directly attributable to stretched intake valves from leaning out. He bought his engine (and needless to say left it stock this time).
Old 11-06-2006, 06:48 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

"...GMS intake with it's "ECU Fake-out calibrated MAF"..."
You should patent that statement...[sm=goodidea.gif]
Old 11-06-2006, 06:53 PM
DoctorQ
2nd Gear Member

Shaners90lxhatch: Thanks for the input. Wasn't sure if you were responding to me or CrazyAl on the transmission life (as I believed it shortens it.. he states the opposite). I have spoken to a number of "tuners" regarding "tightening up shift points" on my 2006GT auto transmission. The way it was explained to me, they modify the pressure points at which each gear shifts.. thus, allowing gears to rev a bit higher before shifting (correct me if this is incorrect). That being the case, I was concerned about the "torque shock" as you put it.. and figured mechanically, this would shorten transmission component life. Secondly, in reference to flashing the S197 ECM: the tuners claim that you can "flash the original stock OEM tune" back on your ECM; however, I have heard (as you stated) that even though the ECM has the original tune, the is an additional code that shows a more recent flash than what came from the factory. Some say just disconnect your battery and it has the same effect, but not sure if this is true. Can you comment on this and the transmission tuning point (i.e., does this increase trans life or decrease). Thanks.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:48 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

OMG! I just typed a freaking book and some server error did not allow it to post. Doctor, I will try to remember to write you a PM or an email with my response so I don't waste another half hour typing. Damn, I said it just the way I wanted to too!
Old 11-06-2006, 09:50 PM
DoctorQ
2nd Gear Member

np. Also, still would value any input from current GMS CAI users on the MPG question.. Thx.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:08 PM
wjbiv

I have to force myself to stay calm whenever threads go so far offtopic. Your question was basically - does the GMS CAI work and if so, is there an accompanying increase in mileage.

The answer to both are 'Yes'

I have seen a 1.5 to 2 mpg increase since installing: computer verified by manual calculations at the pump.

I have seen a noticeable increase in HP - I haven't dynoed, but have seen other posters report 18 - 22 rwhp

Bottom line - for $300 and a half hour of my time it was the best bang for the buck for me. The poster that suggested that this solution is inflexible is only right to a point. If, after enjoying my GMS CAI for a few months or a year I decide I want more, I have the 'flexibility' of ordering a new CAI/Tuner combo; removing the GMS and selling on Ebay for whatever its worth; then installing the new one.

- or -

Wait and see how the GMS 'Fuego' tuner turns out and do a tune with my existing CAI.

Either way, nothing is ever really 'inflexible' if you can unbolt it in like, 2 minutes, and do somthing new. I'm pretty sure people are confusing 'flexibility' with 'cost-effectiveness'. In this case, cost (i.e. what something is worth to you) is a purely personal decision.

Quick Reply: Attention GMS CAI users...