Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with getting an intake........

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 12:53 AM
GTTang

Default Problems with getting an intake........

I have a 2005 mustang GT and just got the California Dream body kit for it. I want to make the hood a funtional ram air but im having second thoughts about doing it. And the reason is for hydrolock. Do CAI's have a high tendency to sustain hydrolock? i just ordered a K&N intake and had some guy tell me to be carfeul around puddles, am i seriously gonna have to slow to 5mph everytime i see water? and with a funnel scooping anything that gets near my hood and puting it in top of my CAI, is that a bad idea? are there any tricks out there that You guys use to prevent hydrolock when it rains (i.e certain types of intakes, tricks)? i figure i could stick a towel or make a custom block for the scoops. Or just forget about it. is it worth the trouble? please help my dumb ***. i need it!
Old 11-08-2006, 01:14 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Problems with getting an intake........

Truth be told, there isn't a true ram-air system for the mustangs that will do diddly-squat for you performance wise. And "if" you see any benefits, you'll only see them at very high speeds (90+)......which I would venture to guess would make up less than 3% of your total driving time in the car...........I'd hope[8D]

Honestly, alot of ppl are looking for functional hoods/scoops to try and avoid being some kind of poser, but the fact is that these modern modular motors get all the air they will ever need thru a standard under the hood intake. If you want functionality, get a hood for extra ventilation rather than rammed air. The openned vents are a good way to keep underhood temps down a few degrees, which is always good.

That's my take on this issue.[&:]
Old 11-08-2006, 01:17 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

TB147 hit it right on the head. Very well said.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:27 AM
GTTang

yea, i figured it that much. but as far as the intake goes, how much should i worry about hydrolock?
Old 11-08-2006, 02:34 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

I wouldnt worry about it that much.. the fact that youll only get water in it youre flying and its pouring, and the fact that most filters are oiled should protect you. And lets just say for statistic purposes.. Ive never ever heard of anyone on the forums having a problem with sucking in water.. and there are plenty of people with functional hoods and intakes. Good luck.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:08 AM
skiba5546
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't really worry about hydrolock, but just in case you can install one of these.
http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=20
Old 11-08-2006, 10:00 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

CAIs got a bad repulation for hydrolock in some circles.

The reason is that on many Japanese cars (Civics, etc.) the intake is positioned very low in the car, just above the road, making it very susceptible to water intake. However, the filter on the Mustang CAIs is very high in the engine bay, a good two feet above the ground. I would not be concerned about hydrolock unless you're talking about trying to drive through standing floodwater thats a foot or more deep (which is dumb anyway).

Here is a post about Ram Air that is very informative:

https://mustangforums.com/m_2109286/tm.htm
Old 11-09-2006, 05:50 AM
GTTang

so census is not to worry about it to much? ill try....... but i still plan on fabricating some kind of cap or "plug" for the inlets of the scoops so it wont pour water all over the filter. theres also a performance shop i contacted that developed a shroud to divert water specifically for hoods like the Cal Dream hood. Skiba, Thanx for that link, its an option, but i think im just to paranoid about my baby thanks eveybody for your opinion!