Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros and Cons of a S/C

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 02:52 AM
MSgt46270
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Pros and Cons of a S/C

ORIGINAL: markj

For anyone interested here is the link to Kenne Bell: http://www.kennebell.net/index.htm

I still don't think they look as nice as the saleen setup but it sure does look like a quality piece. On the price list I see where you get very complete kits right down to the tune. Prices actually don't seem too bad either. I might have to give them a call and see what they say. I'm very close to getting the saleen but don't want to rush into anything without doing my homework. Even the non-intercooled kit might do it for me. At 5 boost it should not over tax the motor and still give me a good kick in the pants. Bad part of that kit is I don't know if it could be upgraded.

I'll post when I get more info from KB. Thanks for everyone’s input. It's nice to have a resource like this board.

Mark
You can upgrade the saleen (pullies) I have the 10lb pulley on my car, but since the motor hasn't been rebuilt, my tuner had to tune the motor at a safe level. That's why I'm only doing 420hp to the wheels. I want to get my HP up around 550, but the torque is the more important thing. Take my friend Don, his car is doing 452 rwhp / 522 rwtq and his car is killer. Here's Don web site http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2450734. Lots of video's here ENJOY.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:21 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

I think Mark meant if he goes with the NON-intercooled ver because if you increase boost you increase the heat of the air and if its not intercooled it would heat up faster and you’d have a lower limit
Old 11-13-2006, 06:32 AM
BigDave
3rd Gear Member

I have the KB and it ran lean on the dyno too (tuner shut off at 4500 cause it was at 13.6 and rising).
I emailed KB and they blamed it on my install and a bad tuner. They totally we not helpful.
My tuner is the best in two states (SCT level 4).
Anyhow, a proper tune...or at least putting it on the dyno to check where you are at should be mandatory for any blower.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:16 AM
amiller44

Fambal Yes the shake ris now for looks only... Intially I had a CAI, As you said, still looks great. Install was done by Brenspeed. Great company Brent and Dave are the best.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:21 AM
MSgt46270
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BigDave

I have the KB and it ran lean on the dyno too (tuner shut off at 4500 cause it was at 13.6 and rising).
I emailed KB and they blamed it on my install and a bad tuner. They totally we not helpful.
My tuner is the best in two states (SCT level 4).
Anyhow, a proper tune...or at least putting it on the dyno to check where you are at should be mandatory for any blower.
Any car will run lean, that's why you have it put on a dyno. It all comes down to the tune, a bad tune just means a matter of time before the motor blows. What was the fix on your car besides the tune?
Old 11-13-2006, 10:24 AM
MSgt46270
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ford_Dude

I think Mark meant if he goes with the NON-intercooled ver because if you increase boost you increase the heat of the air and if its not intercooled it would heat up faster and you’d have a lower limit
Okay, Mark you'll want a s/c the is intercooled. S/C's get hot and you'll want to keep them cool down and get lots of air to the motor as well.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:48 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: burning the tiers

the s/c wont affect the longitivity of your car and once you buy the kit the directions to put it on are right there with it and it only takes about 10 hrs but is compleatly worth it if i was you i would go for it
It all depends on the tune. Normally a s/c engine will last less than a unmodded engine because you are straining more the engine components. But a well kept s/c engine with good driving will last you a lot. People tend to blow up engines downshifting and flooring it instantly. 12 psi in less than a fraction of a sec does break havoc on stressing the engine. Just like a 150 shot of nitrous if you want to keep your engine you gotta do it in increments not all at once. ON a s/c I would go with either a k&b or a procharger. No other company really impresses me. Yet if you have an extra 2k I would seriously recommend getting a turbo. Remember a s/c robs hp to make hp and tends to break belts, pulley slippage among others. Remember to get your tune rich if your running a s/c and watch out for timing. Timing gives you hp, but all it takes is just one fill of bad gas to kaboom ur engine.

Att. Andrew
Old 11-13-2006, 10:57 AM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

The biggest CON is saying goodbye to your Warranty.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:34 AM
mail906
2nd Gear Member

... Also would putting this S/C on what will otherwise be a stock car make sense in terms of leaving everything else alone, or would I really need to do a lot more modding to make it all work? ...
I too have an interest in a S/C, and am trying to learn as I go.

I do believe however that there is more to it than bolting on a S/C kit no matter how complete the kit is. The fuel delivery system and the exhaust system needs to be considered - possibly modified as well. After that, the raw power only probably mandates a K member brace to eliminate shifting issues, etc. Interested to hear what other members think about this.

In my case, I have been trying to identify a complete list of all mods that would take my stock 07 GT [manual] to a well balanced S/C'd vehicle. Any advice is appreciated.

And finally, like someone mentioned - you need to drive one beforehand. [Easier said than done - I know.] In my case, I drove relatively new GT with a Saleen S/C on it, and frankly it was not what I expected. I never met the guy who set it up - so I didn't even know the boost level - but it pulled strong in 3rd gear under heavier / heavy throttle, but other than that I would have been disappointed if I had spent $5K ~ $7K to end up with that performance. That vehicle had 1,600 miles on it.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

Looking for a little advice here. I have '07 GT/CS with 4k on the clock. The only mod I did was the DeMolet CAI with a 93 tune. I really like it but I'm seriously considering a Saleen S/C. I have a second car(a beater Neon) that I drive in the winter months and sometimes in the summer. But I do use the Mustang a lot during the summer months and plan on taking a couple of longish trips with it.

So my questions would be, does a supercharger hurt the longevity of a car? Would it be too impracticle for a car that gets driven a lot? Also would putting this S/C on what will otherwise be a stock car make sense in terms of leaving everything else alone, or would I really need to do a lot more modding to make it all work?

I'm sure you've seen the questions before but I'm a newbie and your opinions are appreciated.

Mark

The Kenne Bell SC is your best choice, IMO. Check out www.kennebell.net to do your homework. Most of SCs, as just one decision making point, routes the air intake out of the engine bay completely, allowing for cold air to be delivered to the engine. It is also one of the most efficient SCs you can buy. It is a complete package engineered for the 4.6L engine, and comes with a tuner that is tuned by KB specifically for the Mustang. Can't beat it with a stick. My sig has the HP and Torque rating as dyno'd and as advertised by KB. It is also very quite except for a slight whine, not all gravelly sounding like the Saleen. About 7K installed.

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons of a S/C