Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What will it take to beat an SS Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 03:14 PM
GuitarGuyBMG
2nd Gear Member

Default What will it take to beat an SS Camaro?

Last night I was leaving my girlfriends house heading to my house. I merged onto the interstate and a SS Camaro ( probably a 2000 or so ) pulled up behind me and pestered me for a while. I know the limit's of my car bone stock, and I am still fairly new to stick shift so I didn't really want to race him. Well eventually he kept revving up at me, I looked over at him and saw his girlfriend was in the car and he was just wanting to show off apparently. Well he flew past me and I didnt even try and chase him. He goes to make a left turn up at a red light but sees that me and him would be left side by side if he keeps going straight, so he jumps over two lanes so we can race. Well seeing no other cars are around i decide to race him. He launched really hard, and the timing of the light kinda caught me so I was slowing down. He got a jump on me but I got it into first and launched just after he did. He spun his tires REALLY badly and I did, but not nearly as bad. This gave me a chance to catch up so we went off and I snatched second gear but ended up hitting the rev limiter in 3rd ( my mistake ). Up until then we were fairly even but he did have an advantage. He raced off, and a few miles down the road I saw a red camaro pulled over. It could have been his, but there are alot of z28/SS camaro's around here.

My question is, what would it take to beat an SS camaro? I dont really want to street race cause its dangerous, but I would like to know I could beat one or have a chance of beating one at the track? Would a CAI + good tune do the trick, or would I have use a little more money and also get some LT headers to keep up with them? If I bought LT Headers/CAI/Tune/ and a short throw shifter would that make my car faster or atleast give me a chance? I'm just wondering becuase I also have a friend that has a white SS camaro that keeps bragging how his car will kill mine. I know I like mustangs better becuase in my opinon they look better, have a lot nicer space on the inside and just seem to be more practical as a daily driver, but I just want to have the confidince of knowing I have a chance to beat car's like Z28/SS Camaro's if I did race them.

PS: I have a 2006 Mustang GT 5-Spd; bone stock except for 3.73 gears in it.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:20 PM
Trill Gear Head
4th Gear Member

Default RE: What will it take to beat an SS Camaro?

I'm not sure what the Gaymaro SS runs in the 1/4 but if you do full bolt ons you should be able to run in the low 13's high 12's N/A.

JLT 2/ CAI
H-pipe and axlebacks to open up the exhaust
UDP pulley

with all of that you should be fine.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:25 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

they are high 12/low 13 second cars, full bolt ons 4.10/4.30s and good rubber should get you there
Old 11-13-2006, 05:27 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

Before you do anything..learn how to drive it...Seriously a good driver is worth alot...practice shifting and all that....

A CIA w/ tune is a good start..but really learn your car..and the proper launch technique...it takes time...but you will get it..Preety soon you wont get that nervous feeling anymore when heart is about to explode in your chest....When that SS pulls up to you.. You will smoke 'em....
Old 11-13-2006, 05:38 PM
gothikka
1st Gear Member

Stock vs stock it would be a pretty even race. The Camaro would probably pull on you just a little bit at the top end of 2nd and 3rd gear. You can get him with some minor bolt-ons

If it makes you feel better.....the stang looks better even if you lost
Old 11-13-2006, 05:45 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gothikka

Stock vs stock it would be a pretty even race. The Camaro would probably pull on you just a little bit at the top end of 2nd and 3rd gear. You can get him with some minor bolt-ons

If it makes you feel better.....the stang looks better even if you lost
sounds liek youve been racing lt1 maros
Old 11-13-2006, 06:11 PM
sst06vert
2nd Gear Member

a transam
Old 11-13-2006, 08:25 PM
JGT
2nd Gear Member

Unfortunately, even after all the bolt-ons, isn't it a good bet that the Camaro won't be stock either? In that case, you'd be right back to where you started...
Old 11-13-2006, 08:29 PM
06gt5spd
2nd Gear Member

A CAR FASTER THAN A SS CAMARO!!!!!!!!! DUH
Old 11-13-2006, 08:46 PM
GuitarGuyBMG
2nd Gear Member

Well let me rephrase for those who don't understand ^^^. What will it take for a manual 06 mustang gt to beat a SS Camaro. Are camaro's just as moddable as mustangs are, by that I mean are there just as many companies producing aftermarket parts that add as much power to a Camaro as there are for the Mustang?

Quick Reply: What will it take to beat an SS Camaro?