Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vinyl stripes

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 01:02 AM
jerseyblood
2nd Gear Member

Default Vinyl stripes

My vinyl stripes came in from Baltimore street mods today and I had an appointment with my painter to have them installed. When I arrived to the body shop he called his decal guy and to both our surprise, he said that he would not install them....He claims that they will crack in time and he always guarantees his work, therefore will not install them. I told my painter that several guys on this board have them and are more than happy with them. We talked several more minutes about them and he called back. This time the decal guy said that he would install the 10” with1/4” pins for no less than $150. He also could not guarantee the work. As it stands I have an appointment for a week from this Thursday so we will see how they turn out.

I know a lot of you guys have them so I’m wondering how long you had them, where you got them and if you have any problems with cracking, peeling.

I live in Arizona so maybe he thinks this because of the extreme heat. My car is garaged all the time and I commute to work in the dark. Thanks…

By the way, how do I add a pic to my sig? It says the file is too large and I dont know how to reduce it.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:18 AM
DuFFMaNN
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Vinyl stripes

ORIGINAL: jerseyblood

By the way, how do I add a pic to my sig? It says the file is too large and I dont know how to reduce it.
Go to the chopshop thread and ask them to make you one. Post up your pics and they (maybe me) can make you a nice looking sig
Old 11-15-2006, 05:39 AM
hogpowr
3rd Gear Member

Install them yourself. I did its not that hard. They are 3m stripes, top notch stuff. Give yourself all day to do it don't rush, start with the roof, then hood, then trunk, then rear bumper, then front bumper.

Good Luck!!
Old 11-15-2006, 07:25 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I installed mine myself, but I wouldn't recommend it for the average person who's not very maticulous. If I had to do it again i'd buy 2 inch masking tape instead of the 1 1/2 inch that the instructions recommend. My roof stripes are a tiny bit closer together than the hood and it bothers me. I had no problems putting the stripes right up next to the masking tape so next time i'd just get the 2 inch and not have to worry about laying them exactly 1/4 inch from the tape.

I've had mine for 4 months now with no problems. Baltimorestreetmods.com by the way. 10 inch antique white.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:53 PM
hogpowr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

I installed mine myself, but I wouldn't recommend it for the average person who's not very maticulous. If I had to do it again i'd buy 2 inch masking tape instead of the 1 1/2 inch that the instructions recommend. My roof stripes are a tiny bit closer together than the hood and it bothers me. I had no problems putting the stripes right up next to the masking tape so next time i'd just get the 2 inch and not have to worry about laying them exactly 1/4 inch from the tape.

I've had mine for 4 months now with no problems. Baltimorestreetmods.com by the way. 10 inch off white.

I agree 2 inch would be easier. I think the average person can do this just don't put yourself under time presure. I did mine over 3 seperate days.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:58 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

So did I, I ended up doing the hood and front bumper last. Just like painting the most important part is the preparation. Make sure you clean the surface really good, you don't want any dirt under the stripes because it will stick out like a sore thumb.

ORIGINAL: hogpowr

ORIGINAL: moosestang

I've had mine for 4 months now with no problems. Baltimorestreetmods.com by the way. 10 inch off white.

I agree 2 inch would be easier. I think the average person can do this just don't put yourself under time presure. I did mine over 3 seperate days.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:10 AM
S2Charlie
2nd Gear Member

I got mine from Bob White Decals... same stuff... but I got ripped... I did 'em with my dad, took about 10 hrs tell me what you think

Old 11-16-2006, 02:11 AM
S2Charlie
2nd Gear Member

Also... Do the hood LAST! You wanna be as good as your gonna get before you do the most important stripes on the car!
Old 11-16-2006, 03:42 AM
RW06stang
1st Gear Member

I got mine from Baltimorestreetmods.com and did mine myself. Took me about 6 hours. I took my Stang to a big stripe man here in Murfreesboro, TN and at first he said he would not do them. After him and I talked, I convenced him to do it. But he went up on the price from $150.00 to $225.00. I said OK and made an appointment. After going home and thinking about it, I came up with: I would be more proud of my baby if I stripped her myself. So I did. Like others have said, set aside all day and take your time. You need to be in a place thats warm.

On the other hand. If you don't want to do it yourself, then I say jump on that price of $150.00. If he's good, it will turn out fine.

I have not installed the 1/2" pin stripes yet. I need a good warm day.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-16-2006, 04:46 AM
jerseyblood
2nd Gear Member

I am actually very good at things like this and the only reason I was going to have them installed was because my girlfriend is gone for a week and Im pretty sure I need two people. Also I have the Saleen extreme hood and if you guys know what it looks like it has a curve in the top portion that the stripes will run down and over. Im thinking with this curve, the stripe wont look straight. Im thinking that Im going to install them myself next week when she is back and I will start out with the hood in case it doesn't look good with the curve. That way I dont waste all day doing them and the hood looks crooked. I live in AZ so it is still warm (80) and I have a lot of 2" painters tape. Thanks for the replys. I will let you know how it all comes out.

Here is a picture to clear all that up...

[IMG]local://upfiles/37327/90AD0DFC5AF243549D391B9C96241CFC.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Vinyl stripes