Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scratched Rim

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 08:19 PM
skin5050
2nd Gear Member

Default Scratched Rim

Guys, I have the 18" chrome bullitts on my GT. The other day I was pulling out of the toll booth and somehow scraped the upper part of my rim. It's not horrible, but I can definitely notice it now and it drives me insane. It's probably about an inch long. If I had a digital I would take a pic for you to see. I would like to try to buff it out or somehow cover it up, but someone told me you can't buff out chrome. Is this true? Any suggestions on what do do? I just want her fixed! Thanks!
Old 11-15-2006, 08:41 PM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Scratched Rim

Man i feel you i had the same problem this weekend i scratched her up and it made me so upset... and my girlfriend was with me and she was like you can barely see that i was the same way its small but i can feel it there...

You can buff it out all i did was shine up the tire and shine up the rim and its so shiney you can barely see the scrape unless you look for it.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:11 PM
Daniel06GT
3rd Gear Member

Yeah I had the same thing happened to me. I was pulling out of a BestBuy and turning right into the main street, and I curve-checked the rim and scratched it on the outside rim, it's about an inch to inch and a half long. Unless you look for it you can't see it, but I know it's there and I HATE IT! I really don't know how to fix it.

-DG
Old 11-15-2006, 09:13 PM
Daniel06GT
3rd Gear Member

My sig isn't working.... anybody know why?

-DG
Old 11-16-2006, 12:49 AM
zcat
2nd Gear Member

This sucks and I know how bad - been there and done this. I scratched my right rear wheel comming out of a bank drive through and couldn't live with it. Had the wheel stripped & re-chromed for a small $300 charge - ouch! But the worst thing is, it looks better than the other 3 now , so guess what I'll have to do???? [:@]
Old 11-16-2006, 01:07 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

About the best thing you can do is use a small very fine file, small modelers file(s) if surface is not too bad; use to smooth any rough area(s); you can then mask off and use one of a few "chrome" spray paints on the market (maybe buy two brands and test for the shiniest. They won't be as shiny as the rest of the rim but shinier than any silver. You could use clear spray to possibly get more reflective quality on that area. Since light reflects so differently on all areas of the rim, if the surface can be first made pretty smooth no one will notice a difference but you. ...and you won't tell anyone, so you will have solved the problem. Sorry man, good luck to ya!
Old 11-16-2006, 05:02 AM
jerseyblood
2nd Gear Member

You guys are lucky. This is what I did last week. It runs around 3/4 the wheel. Only good thing is since I mangled the wheel, I will be replacing it all together (If thats a good thing) Guess I have a spare now.

[IMG]local://upfiles/37327/7ACCAE186DD34BC7AED237573523CB1B.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-16-2006, 09:13 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

couldn't you get another wheel for that price?

You can't buff chrome it's plated. I'll be sticking with an 8 inch rims with the widest tire possible so hopefully I won't have to worry to much about curbs.

ORIGINAL: zcat

This sucks and I know how bad - been there and done this. I scratched my right rear wheel comming out of a bank drive through and couldn't live with it. Had the wheel stripped & re-chromed for a small $300 charge - ouch! But the worst thing is, it looks better than the other 3 now , so guess what I'll have to do???? [:@]
Old 11-16-2006, 09:42 AM
zcat
2nd Gear Member

Moosetang - Might be able to or close to that cost. That might be my option rather than re-chrome the others. The re-chromed wheel looks awesome, but it might be my new "spare" as I'm sure I could replace 1 wheel for less than the cost of chroming the other 3
Old 11-16-2006, 09:53 AM
zcat
2nd Gear Member

Another positive in buying another wheel to match my 20's whould be that I would have a spare that would actually work with my big brake system, right now I'm carrying dead weight (the donut) around - LOL! I had the wheel done before I replaced the brakes or that would have been a "no - brainer".

Quick Reply: Scratched Rim