Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Stripes, now going to get them painted

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 03:25 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Default New Stripes, now going to get them painted

Well, I wrote another post about wasted money on vinyl, some did not udnerstand it...it was not the installers fault the vinyl is not to my liking it was not the seller who sold me the vinyl..it simply was my OWN preference. It did stipulate that the vinyl is cut into pieces around the trunk and the seams will be somewhat unnoticable unless you go looking for them.. I did and did not like it...so I went to the same custom auto shop and they stated they will paint the stripes with a special paint...clear coat with Dupont clear with 10 year warranty and they even are letting me pick a color which is similar to Sonic Blue;s pearling effect but in a silver that will ahve some gold, blue bronze, green pearl in it as well. so I am going to get that done....$1200-1500...I attached pics of the car as is now before painting the stripes....big files so I am going to upload a couple times

[IMG]local://upfiles/42783/2F3ABBF7F400415FA408403893BD203D.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-18-2006, 03:25 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New Stripes, now going to get them painted

some more

[IMG]local://upfiles/42783/30D45C64B9854E00BC12A5EBB0D9198A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/42783/2D454BFDBAF14215B41DC774FD2DB920.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-18-2006, 03:27 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

last ones

[IMG]local://upfiles/42783/08DA00B4227B4ECB983E4CAD210E9C5B.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-18-2006, 03:36 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

Those look good from far away but I can see what you mean on a couple of the pictures. I always thought vinyl was good enough but now am considering paint.

Will they have to repaint/clearcoat your entire hood, roof and trunk? If not, how do they do it? Just paint them on over your current paint?

They will look great.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:07 PM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

I'm guessing in real life it must look worse then in those pics as they each looked good to me. (unless you could describe WHERE)
Next question is was it a stripe materal problem or was it an application problem that you are NOT happy with.

Now my guess is one of your future posts will be you being slightly upset with over-spray near some of your cars edges. (hood, bumper, trunk lid, underside of spoiler, any window seals......)
I hope NOT but......

05SDI
Old 11-18-2006, 05:23 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

What are you talking about 05sdI? Do they just paint over your existing paint or do they need to repaint the hood, roof and trunk? That would make a big diffeence.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:06 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

yes they do ..they will remove the bumper, hood, trunk deck, rear bumper...they paint the stripes, clear coat. entire parts..sand down then clear again. so it is smooth without any edges..
ORIGINAL: stangster06

Those look good from far away but I can see what you mean on a couple of the pictures. I always thought vinyl was good enough but now am considering paint.

Will they have to repaint/clearcoat your entire hood, roof and trunk? If not, how do they do it? Just paint them on over your current paint?

They will look great.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:10 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

no, the material and install were fine...it is just as they stated the stripes are pre cut into 3 pieces on the back trunk and front bumper due to the contours. so the seams overlap as they say in what is supposed to be unseen areas..(under the spoiler, under the ridge of the trunk deck.) however, I know they are there and I can see them....so that is that....hopefully no over spray....but they are responisble for that anyhow (The custom shop) so they must prevent that...this i can not blame on anyone but me. as i bought the stripes knowing the way they are and they did very well with what they were
ORIGINAL: 05SDI

I'm guessing in real life it must look worse then in those pics as they each looked good to me. (unless you could describe WHERE)
Next question is was it a stripe materal problem or was it an application problem that you are NOT happy with.

Now my guess is one of your future posts will be you being slightly upset with over-spray near some of your cars edges. (hood, bumper, trunk lid, underside of spoiler, any window seals......)
I hope NOT but......

05SDI
Old 11-18-2006, 07:24 PM
GrabberOrange07
2nd Gear Member

Car looks great! I, personally, think you are wasting your money. You are going to notice flaws with the paint and won't be happy with that. If you are going to bend down to look under things to notice seams then I hope the shop you are taking it to has a showcar track record. No insults intended to you at all so please dont take it as one.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:56 PM
doodad
5th Gear Member

dude, car looks great but loose those snake emblems man.. you are not cobra.. i think they look rice.. ( i see your sig. says make your car looks whoever you like.. be yourself..) ok but, when you drive around, i am sure 9 ut of 10 will be like WTF?? that is rice!! ( no ffence, just my opinion)

Quick Reply: New Stripes, now going to get them painted