Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird RATTLE coming from the dash.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 02:20 AM
James Cole
1st Gear Member

Default Weird RATTLE coming from the dash.

Seems to be coming from the back of the Headunit, it does it when the engine vibrates a bit more at certaing rpm ranges, sound like an aluminum shield is loose or something, its the second mustang with very low miles I have heard with that exact same noise... so there should be a lot of mustangs with that issue any comments on this? Is there a fix?

************PROBLEM FIXED*******************

I took it to the muffler shop because the noise seem to be coming from underneath the car (under de Hvac controls). And it turns out it was the drivers side first exhaust hanger that was a bit bent from the factory so with engine movement it hit the car frame making a loud metallic rattle... They straightened the hanger and Now the noise is completely gone!

Only passenger side A-pillar and trunk Rattle to go! I might be keeping this car after all, its really growing on me now.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:24 PM
grabberorange1
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Weird RATTLE coming from the dash.

yeh, take it back its under warranty, and then sell it. that will fix all your issues with your purchase.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:47 PM
James Cole
1st Gear Member

ehhh.. NO, 9 times out of 10 the dealership will scratch your interior and maybe leave it worse than it was on the first place, I prefer DIY being very careful because who wants scratches in their new interior?

BUT, Im not sure the sound is coming from the dash, it could be the engine compartment too, I find it weird that nobody else has had this problem I tought it would be common.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:29 PM
markj
1st Gear Member

I had the dash rattle thing. Took it to the dealership and they fixed it. Don't do it yourself if it's under warrantie. If they scratch or mess something up you can have them fix it. If you do it yourself and mess somthing up they won't touch it. BTW my dealer invoice said they installed what was called a "anti-rattle" kit. So this problem is widespread enough to warrant a kit to fix the problem. The good news it that I haven't had any more problems so hopefully the kit will last.

Now there are a couple of more rattle prone spots on the car that I'm waiting on to start getting noisy. Then it's back to the dealership. They should just do it all at once and get it over with. Good luck.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:45 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

I bet this "Kit" is just a set of items that one dealer found to fix the problem and to make it look good on the invoice they call it a kit
Old 11-20-2006, 01:49 PM
markj
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ford_Dude

I bet this "Kit" is just a set of items that one dealer found to fix the problem and to make it look good on the invoice they call it a kit
I'm sure you're probably right about that. The dash rattle issue is a pretty common problem. The service guy was not all that shocked when I brought it back to get fixed. I think most of these late model stangs suffer from many of the same issues.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:58 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: markj
ORIGINAL: Ford_Dude
I'm sure you're probably right about that. The dash rattle issue is a pretty common problem. The service guy was not all that shocked when I brought it back to get fixed. I think most of these late model stangs suffer from many of the same issues.
well I haven't had any such problem
the only problem I have is the driverside window won't roll all the way down
when down it still has a small portion of the glass showing
but after the "free oil change" I don't want to go to that dealer because what if the warranty work is the same kind of "free"
and the next closest ford dealer is in houston
any idea if I can go to a Lincon Mercury Dealer for Ford warranty work
Old 11-20-2006, 02:00 PM
Barbarino
I ♥ Acer

I have a rattle it seems to come from the passenger side by the door or glove box, also my front seat squeaks not sure how they will fix that, but it has to be fixed.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:03 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: markj
The dash rattle issue is a pretty common problem. The service guy was not all that shocked when I brought it back to get fixed. I think most of these late model stangs suffer from many of the same issues.
So, where was your rattle? I have a slight rattle from the dash, I think, but its so subtle it almost seems like my imagination. I thought it might be my keys but it wasn't.

I'll turn on the CD player that should fix it.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:12 PM
skin5050
2nd Gear Member

I just had mine at the ford dealer for the squeaky/rattling dash on the pass side. I mentioned the anti rattle kit, but the svc guy had no idea what that was. When I picked my car up on Friday, he said something about the A pillar not connecting and that was why it was squeaking. Well, after driving her all weekend, I'm here to say that the squeaking is back again! It was quiet for about 24 hours. On the driver's side, it doesn't squeak, but it makes a clicking sound, like something is lose. (only when it's cold outside) It's totally ridiculous! To make matters worse, I had a date Sat night and was driving w/ the radio turned off. All you could hear was the chirping,squeaking sounds from my dash. It made my mustang sound so cheap! And probably didn't impress my date either!!! This should not be happening to a car w/ only 8k miles on it!!!

Quick Reply: Weird RATTLE coming from the dash.