Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 07:05 PM
oldyeller

Default RE: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

06 v-6 here with the same problem. dealer says they tested 2 others with the same issue with 5 miles on them THIS IS NOT NORMAL and pisses me off- the damn rental car did not have the problem why should mine!!??
Old 02-02-2007, 07:43 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Hey oldyeller,I know exactly what you're sayin!
The 05 rental I drove didn't make that racket either come to think of it.
Your rental stang wouldn't have been a convertable would it?
Ford says that the converts' don't make the thunking noise.
I have yet to test drive one myself to find out if that's so but I have driven several other V6 and GT hard tops and they all thunk!
I have a feeling Ford changed suppliers in between runs and ours all have the 'defective' strut bearings.
Probably some Asian company, 'China' or 'Taiwanese' crap they baught into to save money and of course it would just have to be at our expense!
Wolfey2k
Old 02-07-2007, 06:00 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

Well, I'm pulling the trigger. . . no, not shooting my car, but dropping cash on the Steeda strut mounts. Two different dealerships gave me the universal "we don't know what you're talking about" when I said the front end sounds like an old caravan and needed some fixing. So here I am with a rental car and I guess I may as well have the parts overnighted from Steeda to the dealer and get this crap over with. I'll be the sacrificial lamb and let you know if $750 in parts and labor gets rid of the god-aweful thunking.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:36 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Wow! That's awful generous of younorthy! ;-).
I hope it pays off for you and the rest of us.
However, I still think it's best to wait and see what Ford comes up with sometime this Spring.
There should be an additional fix on top of the strut bearing replacement.
The rear front sub frame to body mounts are also part of the problem so your fix may end up frustrating you but I hope not. I.E. you 'may' get rid of part of the problem but not all of it.
IfFord fails to come out with a fix by Spring time, I may consider doing what you did although I will do it myself.
Anyway, best of luck! I hope it does handle the problem and please do let us know what the results are either way.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:17 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

Well shiznit! I didn't realize there was more to it. We'll just have to wait and see. My problem is also that the strut bearing fix was only for certain '05s or AT LEAST THAT'S WHAT THE DEALERS ARE STICKING TO. I can only go to so many dealers before it's not worth it any more. And I'm impatient, I want SILENCE NOW. Well, at least in this area, that is. To be continued tomorrow. . .
Old 02-07-2007, 09:02 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

yeah, you'll usually get the mechanic bullrah run around from those guys. their worst enemy is me in that I know cars inside and out, being an x dealer and private garage wrencher myself, retired now.
I know a strut thunk when I hear one.
You wouldn't be wrong in repacing them. Ford's stock strut bearings are throw aways! they are junk that will wear out and thunk louder and louder as time goes on. That's why they don't readily thunk when you first drive one that has almost 0 miles on it.
when strut assem's are replaced, Ford recomends repalcing the bearings too because they can't take the punishment of being pulled and put back on. how about that for whimpy?
cheapo plastic bearing housings to boot!
Ford should be ashamed of themselves putting chinky crap in an American iconn like that but hey, they've been doing that to those rice burner lookin 90's stangs for years ;-D.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:41 AM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

Well, hundreds later and no fix. The Steeda Heavy Duty Strut Assemblies don't fix it. In fact, I'd put ten thousand on the table and bet the noise is significantly WORSE with them on there. I think Wolfey [sp?] mentioned some other parts that are "under" the front seats and that certainly seems to be where the sound is coming from.

I'm sure many of you want to say "I told you so, you should have tightened this or that bolt or lowered it or taken off the sway bar and added the BMR delete option or done the magical mustang dance" etc. Obviously I'll have to try those things when the days are 29 hours long.

I JUST WANT THIS DAMN CAR TO RIDE LIKE A NORMAL CAR. I've had a 1983 Toyota truck,a 1994 F150 Eddie Bauer, a 1995 F250 Powerstroke, a 1999 Ranger, a 2001 Honda Insight, a 2004 Honda Civic, a 2005 F150 Supercrew FX4 and none of those cars sounded like a clunker. So why should the second most expensive car I've ever owned sound like a Caravan with blown struts when I drive down the alley?

Anyways, newsflash is that the Steeda HD Strut Mounts didn't fix the problem.. . but at least I've got HD strut mounts for when I become a famous weekend racer, right???!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2007, 09:47 AM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Mine rides great, no thunking.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:58 AM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

obviously not.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:13 AM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

Wow, gee, thanks! That was EXTREMELY helpful.

Quick Reply: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise