Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 04:24 PM
mvon919

Default RE: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

ORIGINAL: northy_polk

ORIGINAL: mvon919

I don't buy that. I have Steeda HD mounts which are superior in design... the clunk comes back to you after the spring sets in.
i've got the HD mounts too. please explain using this picture what you're talking about. after 1600 posts on this thread i thought we had all determined it was the bearing on the mounts and that's what Ford fixed and you're incorrect about the "seating" issue, but please explain!

who said I'm right or wrong about the seating issue? I ordered (and paid) the new OEM Mounts today... and clearly, "bascho" says it's the isolator that's changed. it's still the POS Plastic design. Since I've done every single mod in my car myself (and there's A LOT of them), the STEEDA HD Mounts (PICTURED) uses OEM Strut Bearing Isolator rubber, that is fitted around the spring seat (round piece in center in the pic). Spring is against the OEM rubber isolator which is fitted around the spring seat and the whole thing is assembled together and tightened down with nut around strut shaft. There is abso-f'n-lutely no play at all with Steeda mounts, even if you assemble the spring seat into fender mount. So this piece is really engineeered piece of art... but Steeda didn't knew that they should have provide better RUBBER/SILICONE Insulator... if that is the problem, which seems to be according to THIS THREAD.

Now, after reading this thread. Some have noticed that the clunking is actually louder after installing Steeda Mounts. I haven't noticed that though. My car's been clunking since mile 7 (when I bought it) and still clunks... 15,000 miles later. So, this new revised Mount RUBBER might CURE the problem, since the Steeda spring seat is METAL and OEM fORD POS is PLASTIC... METAL against metal is louder than PLASTIC against metal. OR so I hope.

BOTTOM LINE... If the problem would have been the BEARING, the Steeda HD Mounts should have fixed the issue (THERE is no bearing issue with Steeda onesand it doesn't move at all. It's SOLID as CNC Machined pieces can be together)... the new revised RUBBER with Steeda Mounts whould then be the best combo available, since there's no aftermarket spring seat isolators for S197.

I still doubt this will wolve the issue, but I sure hope so. I have some plans that I'll be doing for the spring seat place in lower strut too. I still suspect there's some clunk coming out from there, since the clunking goes away for few miles after you've raised and lowered your car. I'll post some pics when I've re-assembled my struts.

I SURE HOPE this is not another 102 bucks I throw in POS parts for fORD. I don't even remember when was the last time I used OEM replacement parts.
Well, worth a shot, I love this car, but it's still a fORD. I'm happy with my warranty delete and will continue to build the car into my own specs than fORDs. If there's any aftermarket part to replace OEM (when OEM parts fail), I will go aftermarket.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:40 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

it's still the POS Plastic design. . . the STEEDA HD Mountsuses OEM Strut Bearing Isolator rubber, that is fitted around the spring seat (round piece in center in the pic). Spring is against the OEM rubber isolator which is fitted around the spring seat and the whole thing is assembled together and tightened down with nut around strut shaft. There is abso-f'n-lutely no play at all with Steeda mounts, even if you assemble the spring seat into fender mount. So this piece is really engineeered piece of art... but Steeda didn't knew that they should have provide better RUBBER/SILICONE Insulator... if that is the problem, which seems to be according to THIS THREAD. . . So, this new revised Mount RUBBER might CURE the problem, since the Steeda spring seat is METAL and OEM fORD POS is PLASTIC... METAL against metal is louder than PLASTIC against metal. OR so I hope.

BOTTOM LINE... If the problem would have been the BEARING, the Steeda HD Mounts should have fixed the issue . . . the new revised RUBBER with Steeda Mounts whould then be the best combo available, since there's no aftermarket spring seat isolators for S197.

I SURE HOPE this is not another 102 bucks I throw in POS parts for fORD.
no shiznit on the POS parts!!!!!

i think i smell what you're steppin over. . . just let me see if i get this right. so you've got seats and isolators, right? the original OEM mount isolator was PLASTIC but now it's RUBBER? and the steeda mount still uses a PLASTIC isolator? i know what the seat is [the spring pushes up against it, right?]. you said two different things. first you said plastic isolator then you said rubber isolator. not bustin your *****, but i really want to know so i can do what you're doin!!!!!!!

so you're saying keep the steeda mounts but insert the new OEM spec rubber isolator???

thanks.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:43 PM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acrokat

I took my car in this morning to the same place Wolfey went. We'll see how it all goes. Wish me luck.
Got a call from the dealership. "We can't hear any noises" [:@]
Old 08-02-2007, 04:52 PM
mvon919

it's still the POS Plastic design. . . the STEEDA HD Mountsuses OEM Strut Bearing Isolator rubber, that is fitted around the spring seat (round piece in center in the pic). Spring is against the OEM rubber isolator which is fitted around the spring seat and the whole thing is assembled together and tightened down with nut around strut shaft. There is abso-f'n-lutely no play at all with Steeda mounts, even if you assemble the spring seat into fender mount. So this piece is really engineeered piece of art... but Steeda didn't knew that they should have provide better RUBBER/SILICONE Insulator... if that is the problem, which seems to be according to THIS THREAD. . . So, this new revised Mount RUBBER might CURE the problem, since the Steeda spring seat is METAL and OEM fORD POS is PLASTIC... METAL against metal is louder than PLASTIC against metal. OR so I hope.

BOTTOM LINE... If the problem would have been the BEARING, the Steeda HD Mounts should have fixed the issue . . . the new revised RUBBER with Steeda Mounts whould then be the best combo available, since there's no aftermarket spring seat isolators for S197.

I SURE HOPE this is not another 102 bucks I throw in POS parts for fORD.
no shiznit on the POS parts!!!!!

i think i smell what you're steppin over. . . just let me see if i get this right. so you've got seats and isolators, right? the original OEM mount isolator was PLASTIC but now it's RUBBER? and the steeda mount still uses a PLASTIC isolator? i know what the seat is [the spring pushes up against it, right?]. you said two different things. first you said plastic isolator then you said rubber isolator. not bustin your *****, but i really want to know so i can do what you're doin!!!!!!!

so you're saying keep the steeda mounts but insert the new OEM spec rubber isolator???

thanks.

ps: what do the J&M camber plates use as far as an isolator goes?
The OEM (old and new) are made of some sort of Plastic and the isolator is always rubber. The rubber is the mainly revised component in the new mount (according to bascho) and I sure hope it'll fix the clunk (seems to). The problem is not the bearing, otherwise Steeda mount should have fixed the clunk (bearing is totally different and there's no play). Steeda mount areBillet. You always need to use the RUBBER Isolator (which is always RUBBER) with OEM or aftermarket mounts.

Wait till next week until I get my parts and rebuild. So far, everyone's been satisfied with the new part and say the clunk is gone... so I say, if you still have the OEM POS Mounts, drive your car to nearest dealer and don't leave until they promise to change the new parts under warranty... I can't do that, cause nothings OEM anymore.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:56 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

dude, I ALREADY HAVE THE STEEDA HD MOUNTS and have had them since last December. the whole point of this attempted conversation was to try and figure out what the hellyou're saying. good luck with your fix.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:02 PM
mvon919

dude, I ALREADY HAVE THE STEEDA HD MOUNTS and have had them since last December. the whole point of this attempted conversation was to try and figure out what the hellyou're saying. good luck with your fix.
I've been reading too much today.. sorry for not noticing that. But you still have the clunk? I have had the Steeda mounts from Dec too and always had the clunk.. ONCE MORE, according to Bascho's explanation of what was changed in the new mount, I'm using the rubber isolator from NEW OEM MOUNT with my Steedas. Peace.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:03 PM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

I took my car in this morning to the same place Wolfey went. We'll see how it all goes. Wish me luck.
Got a call from the dealership. "We can't hear any noises" [:@]
I asked for a second road test and got the same response. Why can't people just admit there is a problem?

Asking for a second opinion.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:24 PM
7upstang

Mine goes in tomorrow. I'm actually a littlechoked to see that I'm not the only one that replaced his mounts with "superior" mounts (In my case the Stansuspension ones) and they did not cure the problem.

If the Ford ones cure the problem, I'll be posting right away I guarantee you. I just hope they can get to it tomorrow.

Peace
Old 08-02-2007, 08:26 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Bascho, acrocat needs your help with handling the dealer.
Please give him a hand.
Thanks
Wolfey2k
Old 08-02-2007, 08:58 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 7upstang

Mine goes in tomorrow. I'm actually a littlechoked to see that I'm not the only one that replaced his mounts with "superior" mounts (In my case the Stansuspension ones) and they did not cure the problem.

If the Ford ones cure the problem, I'll be posting right away I guarantee you. I just hope they can get to it tomorrow.

Peace
please remind me which ones to which you are referring. these? http://www.stangsuspension.com/store...idproduct=1207the steedas? which other ones are there besides OEM replacements? thanks

Quick Reply: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise