Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 02:04 PM
Chritaka

Default RE: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

ORIGINAL: northy_polk

Did you also put in the Tokicos at the same time?
Yes, that is correct. I had everything installed that's listed in my sig. It is fine on the highway or smooth roads, but quite horrible on uneven or rough roads. I almost wonder if the passenger side HD Upper Strut mount was installed wrong, but don't really see how that could happen... The install is pretty straight forward. It is almost like a "bobbling" sound if that makes sense and then "thunks" over speed bumps, etc. Everything was torqued to spec. at the shop, but the1at day after I picked it up the front struts appears a little loose and were making some noise. The shop said it was probably just do to the new suspension settling, but assured me it was all torqued to spec. It seemed better after they tighted everything up again, therewas still some slight "thunking" over speed bumps, etc fromthe passenger side. I'm going to take it in again to double check everything, the front springs have settled about 1/4 inch since install.

The spring isolators, do they go at the top and bottom of the springs or just the bottom? I'm thinking that now that plastic upper strut bearing was replaced, they may need an isolator at the top to dampen the sound since it is now metal to metal. Can these easily be picked up at the dealership? I was thinking about trying to have a dealership just install the isolators, but I bet they won't do it since the new suspension/spring install....
Old 03-21-2007, 02:14 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

So if I read correctly, you had the Dspecs put in at the same time, but you do not have a strut tower brace, an Aarm brace, new endlinks or new Aarms [not that ANY of these will necessarily make a difference!]? Sorry, don't know what Denny's DS is. . . or is that a driveshaft of some sort?

There is discussion of the spring isolators throughout this thread. Don't now exactly where at this point. At least one person had success moving the lower isolator up the spring another coil [I think that's what he did]. AND I swear to our Lord and Savior that ifone moreperson with any relation to Fordor aFord dealershipsays to me "well it's all torqued to spec" I WILL kill them by breaking their larynx with my elbow and then running them over again and again with my defective car and screaming out the window "I don't hear anything out of the ordinary, do you? Here, let me back up again". Obviously it doesn't matter that it's torqued to spec because the Godforsaken specs are WRONG because [fill in the mystery cause of the thunking] !!!!!!!! Man that felt pretty good.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Northy good luck with your fixing. The spring isolator is on the bottom of the spring. I have a Ford picture of front strut & springs in front of me and they only show on bottom. Part # 8484. You have to ask the parts guy for the complete part #. I'll look into if Tokico's make their own upper bearing mount.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:21 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

Only bearing mount/strut mounts I know of are the two offered from Steeda and the one on Stangsuspension.com that is adjustable.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:37 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

I looked at Tokicos site and didn't see any upper bearing mount offered.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:42 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

I'm trying to find out from Scrming where he baught the Tokico's and how much they cost him.
I bet the pair ofassemblies costaround $550.00
I did a search and can't find a supplier for our late model mustangs yet.
If any of you know who the supplier is, please post it here so we all have the data in case the TSB falls through, then we'll have a backup plan.
I'll be darned if I am going to rebuild the entire front end to tryhandle the clunking noise.
Doing so isjust hit or miss parts replacement gone mad IMO.
Ford will be in for a fight if it turns out they've been stringing us along. I will be PIS*ED OFF big time!
Anyway, a cross member and new Tokico assemblies seem to be the ticket per scrming's report.
Scrming did say they come with their own strut bearings.
Northy, I was just trying to help you out by recomending Tokico's since I know what scrming said.
I think it's worth a shot don't you?
Wolfey2k

Old 03-21-2007, 03:54 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jays Mustang

I looked at Tokicos site and didn't see any upper bearing mount offered.
Hey, I found a site late last nightthat offers Tokico's as complete assemblies i.e. they come pre-assembled with their own strut mounts. They do not offer the strut mounts separately! Figures! Late model opportunistic price gouging ****'s! Sorry but I didn't bother to book mark the site so I don't have the link to share.
Hopefully scrming will chime in and give us the contact info and pricing.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:56 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

Sorry, I missed the earlier post by Wolfey. There are some folks who paid for the Tokicos that still had the clunking after installation. Don't know why. The ProAction struts are much cheaper and I have confidence in Steeda's products, but we'll see. I'd prefer the Dspecs since they are the thing to have, but they are at least twice as much as the ProActions. Oh, and everything's already been ordered and is ready to go in the car tomorrow. I appreciate the suggestions, though.

You guys would not believe how bad my car is now. It even bothers my GIRLFRIEND and she doesn't even notice stuff like that. It's not the endlinks, those are all tight, to at this point I just clunk around til I get to the shop and rip all that shiznit out.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:58 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

I just spoke to Stang Suspensions. Seeing on their front end kit they had upper bearing mounts. When I asked they said it was BMR but he did say it was a Ford bearing and BMR put there name on it. We talked the noise issue for a little bit and he did hear of a couple Mustangs with thunking problems, one being their mailman that said he replaced the front balljoints and got rid of the noise. Northy why don't you have them check out the balljoint play at the suspension place your going to.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:12 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

ball joints? those are the things that the spindle sits on, right? DAMMIT. i should've ordered those from Steeda as well. freakin frackin son of a . . .

i can always just take my retirement money and get the tokicos if the steedas don't work. at least i'd be broke in style!

edited: nevermind, i'm having them overnighted from Steeda and work will get done on Friday. THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP ON THAT!!!!!!!!! I totally forgot that those could be problematic.

Quick Reply: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise