Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STRIPES, What went wrong? or is this what I should expect?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 12:19 AM
neo_maximus

Default STRIPES, What went wrong? or is this what I should expect?

Today I got a call from the shop that was doing the installation of my stripes, got them from Baltimore street mods, that they wanted me to stop by because they needed to talk with me. When I arrive the installer proceeds to tell me that the stripes are of poor quality or old and that the backing is peeling off onto the back of the stripe and causing bumps on the underside of the stripe once it's laid down. I tell him that I don't believe that is the case and he must have not cleaned the car properly or the solution he is using is comtaminated but I felt it could not be the decal. He did not agree with me, so I unpeeled another section of a new decal to show him that the backing was not tearing off onto the decal and causing the problem and of course the decal was not the problem. Obviously I'm not leaving my car with this particular shop anylonger. This guy ruined the right hood stripe, if I'm looking at my car from the front. I emailed BSM to see what they could work out for me on just the section that was used but have not recieved a reply as of yet, I'm sure I will they seem like a good outfit. What success has everyone had with these stripes? Is this a common issue? It really looked horrible, there were about 20-25 tiny bumps on the one section alone. Any advise? Are these decals so super thin that it is near impossible to get the surface of the car clean enough for this not to happen? And no I do not want to paint my car... I could never paint a brand new car. I don't know what to do now.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:23 AM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: STRIPES, What went wrong? or is this what I should expect?

Hiya,

No, you just have a bad shop install. BSM is a good company with reliable products. I suggest that you take it to another shop (dealers tend to be good). Buy another set from BSM, and send the check to the shop that screwed it up the first time.

~Fred
Old 11-23-2006, 01:00 AM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FredTT

Hiya,

No, you just have a bad shop install. BSM is a good company with reliable products. I suggest that you take it to another shop (dealers tend to be good). Buy another set from BSM, and send the check to the shop that screwed it up the first time.

~Fred
I agree that it is just a bad shop and if the rest was installed properly I would try to make the shop pay to replace the side the screwed up. Chances are it probably will not happen and what you may want to do is tell them and everyone you know your experience, then you hurt them where it counts (the wallet). What was the name of the shop so other MF members do not end up there in the same situation you did.

One thing I have noticed is that when someone buys the stripes from BSM or any other company and takes them to have them installed they ALWAYS seem to get the line "These are poor quality", now having seen the quality of BSM I would say yea its the shop and they probably screwed up and don't want to admit it, bubbles are not from the vinyl but the install.

Sorry you had a bad experience, we have all had them from one time or another, but hey those so many shops never last too long anyway and now you know why.

BTW Post pics when you get the sweet ride all prettied up
Old 11-23-2006, 01:07 AM
neo_maximus

Thanks, I sure will... worst part is even with just the one bad section, I could already tell that it would have looked fantastic if it were done right.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:12 AM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

stripes always make the stang look hot, painted or vinyl, it just sucks when other can't do the work they are paid for properly.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:10 AM
chuckc435

I bought my stripes from the same online store, and they look great. Had my dealer put them on, knew they did great body work from past vehicles, for what i thought was a low price at the time 120.00. They did have a few problems with the install though, took them 2 days longer than quoted, but they stuck with the quoted price. Body man at the shop was amazed at the quality of the vinyl. and told me so a few times Evidently the install was a big pain though, cuz when i picked her up, he told me next one comes in for this was lookin 350-400.00...some times it pays to be the first in line.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:25 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

the only problem I had with the backing paper is when i got one of my hood stripes wet and the paper did stick to the vinyl, however this would not have cause small little bumps. Small bumps are dirt on the car when they installed the stripes.

Your story is the exact reason why I did mine myself. I got two little specs of dirt under one of my roof stripes and didn't notice till i'd allready squeegied most of it. I didn't realize I could easily peel up the stripe and get the dirt off with my finger nail. I did my stripes outside under my carport and I live in a dusty area. All my other stripes are smooth as glass.

By the way, www.baltimorestreetmods.com sent me a new hood stripe for free, they ****ing ROCK!

Old 11-23-2006, 12:01 PM
jerseystang07
4th Gear Member

Moose_stang, I love the stripes! These same stripes are on my Christmas list. Can't wait to get them and make my stang look hot as hell.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:22 PM
neo_maximus

Thanks for all the input. I don't feel as bad anymore. As long as it comes out right it doesn't matter how long it takes, so I guess I'm going to the dealer as soon as I get a chance. And yeah Moosestang those look really great.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:07 AM
neo_maximus

So I decided that I'm going to do the installation myself tomorrow. Any last minute advise. Wish me luck.

Quick Reply: STRIPES, What went wrong? or is this what I should expect?