Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those with 4.10s, NEED HELP, Have ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 09:04 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Default RE: For those with 4.10s, NEED HELP, Have ??

ORIGINAL: PRGT

I think I will change my 4.10 because I don't have any top end. Yesterday I raced another mustang and I stay with him up to 120 after that he started pulling on me, he has the stock gears.
so get 4.30s put in so your 5th gear will pull harder

even if you were to put 4.30s in, that would top 4th out at 115 mph, i doubt 90% of the people will trap that high and if you go much faster then that with other traffic on the road your just plain stupid
Old 11-30-2006, 11:15 PM
watsonaka
1st Gear Member

I drove a well tuned 05 automatic with 4.10 gears today. It convinced me that 4.10 is way to much gear for the automatic, at least for my preference. The guy takes it to the strip, and said himself it is way over geared and he wishes he had gone with the 3.73. He said pulling off the line he gets a good jump, but loses most of it toward the end of the 1\4 because he is geared too high (or low as the case may be) for the top end. I am pretty sure I will go with 3.73s now.

I am trying to find some 3.73 gears that are really Ford, and not made by Motive. Is there a part # difference between the Motive made and Ford made gears.. It looks to me like the part #s from http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=5701 are:

M-4209-F373N
M-4209-G410
M-4209-G430M (I am assuming the M designates Motive. Is that right?)

Anybody know what the N designates? I have yet to see anywhere that shows what the part # is for the real original Ford gears that were apparently Italian made. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:32 AM
Quick S
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: watsonaka

I drove a well tuned 05 automatic with 4.10 gears today. It convinced me that 4.10 is way to much gear for the automatic, at least for my preference. The guy takes it to the strip, and said himself it is way over geared and he wishes he had gone with the 3.73. He said pulling off the line he gets a good jump, but loses most of it toward the end of the 1\4 because he is geared too high (or low as the case may be) for the top end. I am pretty sure I will go with 3.73s now.

I am trying to find some 3.73 gears that are really Ford, and not made by Motive. Is there a part # difference between the Motive made and Ford made gears.. It looks to me like the part #s from http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=5701 are:

M-4209-F373N
M-4209-G410

Anybody know what the N designates? I have yet to see anywhere that shows what the part # is for the real original Ford gears that were apparently Italian made. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Just curoius though watsonaka, what other mods does he have in that 05, and what was he running in the 1/4 mile before and after the gear change? I would think his 60' times where alot better, and Didn't think he would start to loose top end until, atleast around 4th gear, which he shouldn't be hitting in the 1/4 mile run??

Old 12-01-2006, 12:54 AM
Gman13
3rd Gear Member

So what is the verdict on 5spd? I've heard 4.10s are the way to go on 5 spd and 3.73s are the way to go on an auto...??
Old 12-01-2006, 01:53 AM
watsonaka
1st Gear Member

Quick

He has an XCal dyno tune, 4.10 gears, Bassani X-pipe , Bassani Race Mufflers; and I think he put a steda kit in his rear end to help his launch. I think that's it. It is non aspirated and he has NO CAI. Yes his 60s are real strong, as I said. His best time is about 12.5. It is a fast car, but like I said, he feels it would be more balanced with the 3.73s.

Quick, I was like you, considering the 4.10 gear. I spoke to Pat at PSI Motorsports, who has a real good rep around here, and he about had me talked into 4.30s. I am sure glad I rode in the 4.10 car, because it made it clear to me that it's too much for my auto, which is a daily driver. I reccomend that if you can, you call around and get some quotes from some local performance shops and maybe one of them has a 4.10 auto they will let you drive.

I have been watching your progress because I have that GMS CAI as well. Glad to see you posting some good times. I plan to do the gears and XCal 2 soon, and get a dyno thereafter. This GMS CAI looks good so far, but I am going dyno it soon after the gear and flash, I hope. I am sure you read this thread, but just in case I'll post the link. It's worth the read for anyone with the GMS CAI...

https://mustangforums.com/m_2330908/tm.htm

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:37 PM
Quick S
2nd Gear Member

Thanks watsonaka , I don't know though, I would give up the creature comforts of daily driving with 4.10s, for a mid 12 second car, LOL. Well, Still gathering some reasearch together, so I will keep you all posted on what I get [sm=smiley20.gif]. I have the Steeda pullies now, hoping to have that and some rears installed in the next few weeks
Old 12-03-2006, 11:49 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: watsonaka

M-4209-F373N
M-4209-G410

unless your traping 115+ 4.10s should be fine.

IMO
5 speed 4.30s
auto 4.10s
Old 12-04-2006, 12:41 AM
SweetJilly

With an auto you should be fine... i know with a stick its great for racing but for daily driving its kind of a pain sometimes....... first gear is so quick its like a flash
Old 12-10-2006, 09:14 PM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Wow , there sure is a lot of controversy regarding gear ratios. I drove a Stang with 4.10s it was cool, but it's a lot more shifting around town than I would like to do on a normal day. If you drive a lot of city streets 4.10s will give you an edge in performance. I opted for 3.73s cause I drive highway miles also. With 3.73s my RPM at 80 mph is 2400 in 5th gear. That is not bad at all. One of the things you might consider is if you are going to supercharge later you will want your gears between 3.55 and 3.91 cause your engine will be producing a lot more torque and horsepower. So the lower 4.10 gears will not have that much advantage. Only die hard drag racers would argue against that. Lets face it, most guys are setting up their cars to work well in all driving scenarios. We want go quick, go fast and handle well through all the winding roads. You can set up a car for drag racing or you set it up for overall street - strip - road performance. It all depends on what you want to do with your car. If you have noticed most of the big guy companies like Roush and Saleen are gearing in the 3.55 to 3.73 range. The reason for it is because they have done their R & D and they know that's what works best. So, don't go too low with your gears unless your a die hard drag racer. Or, you may well be pulling out those low gears later on to put some 3.73s in. Been there done that! It cost too much to have to redo gears, so consider what it is your setting your car up for and do it right the first time!
Old 12-10-2006, 10:00 PM
RStone13
1st Gear Member

I guess it depends where you do all your driving. I have 4.10's in my auto. I love them. I don't go to the track, just street driving. It makes the car a blast to drive. I don't do much highway either. Gas milage is fine. All depends on how hard you drive it. Normal driving around town 19 mpg. I like to put on a little show now & then and thats all I'm after. Not top end high speed racing. Just tire burning fast acelleration without power-braking to do a burn out. Hope this helps! You have to decide what you want the car for. Track? High speed? or just blasting around town.

Quick Reply: For those with 4.10s, NEED HELP, Have ??