Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After market GPS units that don't replace the head unit, pics please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 12:15 AM
Barbarino
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: After market GPS untis that don't replace the head unti, pics please!

I'm not too sure I want something stuck to my wind shield especially when I'm hammering it thru every gear.

HEMIstang, post pics when you get a chance, much appreciated. I swore I saw one on here a long time ago, it was on the right side of the center console, but I wonder if a passenger would have problem with it.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:02 AM
Hiboost
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: After market GPS untis that don't replace the head unti, pics please!

Trust me, I haven't used it in my Mustang, but in my work car having to haul around the nice roads in Chicago...
Old 12-03-2006, 01:21 AM
redbullet
1st Gear Member

I have the Garmin C330 and it has worked flawlessly. It gives you verbal as well as a tone notice when you are within a mile or so, then 1/2 mile down to feet along with a second screen that provides a better shot of the turn.

It mounts using a lever operated suction cup that will not come off the windshield with out releasing the lever and then it's still stuck pretty good.

It gives locations of restaurants, gas stations, shopping malls, hotels and such. Has a favorites section, logs and saves a 'home' plot and previous trips. Gives arrival time, averages, MPH, top speed and some others. Posts miles to next turn and the name of the exit/turn.

It's a great piece.

http://www.garmin.com/products/sp330/#
Old 12-14-2006, 07:05 PM
HEMIstang
1st Gear Member

Here is a pic of where I finally mounted it. Just a suction cup bracket.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13846/041A7D013A3347258A7F98906AB13FAD.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-14-2006, 07:14 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Barbarino

I'm not too sure I want something stuck to my wind shield especially when I'm hammering it thru every gear.

HEMIstang, post pics when you get a chance, much appreciated. I swore I saw one on here a long time ago, it was on the right side of the center console, but I wonder if a passenger would have problem with it.
If you have a good mount, that sucker's not gonna come off of the windshield.

I mounted my XM radio to the window using this Bracketron Mobile GripIt, and I've banged through the gears pretty decently. It hasn't come off yet.

And my G-Tech Pro meter, which is basically like having a Christmas tree, dynamometer, and lateral G's meter all rolled into one, is made to suction cup to the window. I've had that thing fall off twice in my Saturn, and my dad's truck. The reason for it was extreme temperature change (temps were in the 40's in the morning, hit 85 outside and in the sealed car, was probably in the 90's - a good 50 degree change!) that caused the air in between the glass and the suction cup to expand enough to where it popped off.

Don't sweat it.

Anyway, here's the pic of the XM Radio mount in my '07; the Garmins and TomToms aren't much bigger than this and would give about the same footprint:

Old 12-15-2006, 10:22 PM
Barbarino
I ♥ Acer

Very nice, I've ordered the lowrance gps unit from costco for 500, all the yacht guys here in fort Lauderdale (yacht capital of the world) sware by them and cnet ranks it #1, I'll post pics when it's in my ride.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:31 PM
Rupp
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Barbarino

Very nice, I've ordered the lowrance gps unit from costco for 500, all the yacht guys here in fort Lauderdale (yacht capital of the world) sware by them and cnet ranks it #1, I'll post pics when it's in my ride.
Which model did you get.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:36 PM
Barbarino
I ♥ Acer

This one, click here
Old 12-16-2006, 01:44 AM
PennState
6th Gear Member

i got some magellan one

which works really good...and was only like 400 dollars

i deff cant live without it!
Old 12-16-2006, 06:29 AM
Drew47000000
3rd Gear Member

GPS's feel like a MUST nowadays. Its funny how we lived without these gadgets for decades, but now that they're on the market we NEED EM!! I like my TOM TOM, its pretty user friendly, it takes me where I want to go correctly, 95% of the time. I cant say its perfect, when Im driving through new construction it slips becuase the chip inside (that can be updated on your computer)does not know of the new roads or whatever. Neat toy though, very nice if your stranded and just wanna relax without maps, and fussing on the phone or at gas stations for directions. Instead drive with confidence having a Tom Tom suctioned to your windshield!!

Quick Reply: After market GPS units that don't replace the head unit, pics please!