Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

latest Motor Trend confirms

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 11:49 PM
Dienadel

Default RE: latest Motor Trend confirms

Off topic... but... Nice shop!
Old 12-02-2006, 12:00 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

While not trying to sound skeptical, it would be great to see all those "proposed" Mustangs come to fruition. I think the concerns stated in the article about D-C and GM pulling their hair out on how to cut costs is pretty spot on, especially for a market that, while considered "specialty" coupes, need to sell at least 100K per year to make it worth all the headache and expense for the manufacturer. Remember, Ford never gave up on the Mustang(like all the others with their pony cars), so the way to build it and make it affordable was always a major parameter. I don't care what the GM crowd says, we have the iconic vehicle, not some copy cat imitator and we'll always have the car that the world over knows of. How many movies have a Camaro as it's star? Hell, the T/A in Smokey and the Bandit kept the Firebird from dying, we'll always have Bullitt, Gone in 60 seconds, and a very famous Texan that attached his name(at Lee Iacocca's request) to the 'Stang that still lives on today........couldn't be written any better!
Old 12-02-2006, 12:11 AM
Barbarino
I ♥ Acer

This is why I would love to punch Clarkston in the mouth for making fun of the live rear axle, everyone knows it works really well yet saves so much in production let alone the fact it saved Ford millions on designing the car. GM and Dodge need to ditch the IRS and get back to live rear axle. As usual it seems the Camaro will push 35k for the V8 model.

Plus, when my old 5.0 rear would skip cornering at hight speeds, it's the only thing that can make my heart skip a beat.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:13 AM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

If you wait to buy the next model then you might want to wait till the newer better model after that. There is ALWAYS gonna be next years model. Soon as you get the latest greatest it becomes "last years" model. So get what makes you happy now, then upgrade if you find it that much better.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:17 AM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

This made me think that my 04 Stang will be one that they always say "wish I hadn't sold that 1". Even if I end up owning a newer Mustang I will keep the 04.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:33 AM
SNAFU
Tech Challenged Member

ORIGINAL: Sherwood06GT

In only 1000 Boss models are produced, good luck on getting one! That means only 20 per state on average. And only the "connected" rich dudes will get them.

OMGosh, if Ford is building 9K GT500's per year and dealers are marking them up $20K, can you imagine the Add'l Dealer Markup on those 1,000 Boss Mustangs? Guess I won't be buying a Boss [>:]
Old 12-02-2006, 02:39 AM
06Vista
2nd Gear Member

What specifies a "Hurricane Engine", is that similar to the "boss" engines they have in australia?
Old 12-05-2006, 09:38 PM
jerseystang07
4th Gear Member

Somebody else has to have an opinion on this!
Old 12-05-2006, 10:05 PM
Drivesthebeast
2nd Gear Member

I have been hearing about the Challenger and the New Camaro for more than a couple years now...and still...neither of them exsist. The Mustang does. The 300C and the Charger are only big (well, maybe big) sellers because they are still the trendy "gotta have it" fad car of the moment still. I see more of them than new stangs where I live, and I'm fine with that...to me, that means more exclusivity.

Also, I think the reasons why Ford stayed with the live rear and the engine that the car has now, are simple. They wanted to sell us a car that we would WANT to customize. A large portion of Mustangs end up as Drag Cars. Always have, always will. Why change something that most of your potential buyers would want in the first place? Also, the 4.6 makes sense because it's a step in the right direction.

The Mustang is here, it is now. It is the embodiment of cool. It's got that retro throwback flava, but with the newskool underpinnings. It's like a resto-mod that's already been built for you, with a nice interior and stereo included already...

Old 12-05-2006, 10:20 PM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

GM and Chrysler are in trouble and they know it. They cannot produce a vehicle that performs or looks as good as the Mustang for anywhere near the price that Ford is doing it for. Their cars are going to be quite a bit higher priced. Ford will control the $25,000 to $30,000 Muscle car market. They will also be able, with the addition of the new models of Mustangs be able to directly compete against GM's and Chrysler's new models. Ford has done their homework on this and they have several years of experience in this market, they know what they are doing. GM and Chrysler have to re-tool their assembly lines to make muscle cars. Ford has several years head start on them, as well as just as many years in racing. I'll put my money on Ford!

Quick Reply: latest Motor Trend confirms