Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saleen Supercharger Owners Chime in...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 01:23 PM
GrabberOrange07
2nd Gear Member

Default Saleen Supercharger Owners Chime in...

How has your experiance been with this unit? Any installation issues? Did you get a preset programmer for install? Dyno numbers?? Reliability issues? Price? You get the idea, spill the beans on the unit...
Old 12-07-2006, 01:36 PM
markj
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Saleen Supercharger Owners Chime in...

+1. I'm about to order one and really want some imput before I take the plunge.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:18 PM
MSgt46270
2nd Gear Member

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 12-07-2006, 04:22 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: MSgt46270

With the KB or Whipple it's easier to add a bigger chiller box to help keep the S/C cooler. With the Saleen you have to move the battery to the trunk and put a chiller box there.
????? Not very imaginative are you?

[IMG]local://upfiles/13513/A5EA52D503BA4186BBD24DA30B4B9C09.jpg[/IMG]

the Saleen tune SUCKS!
Ok, this much I will give ya. It isn't a great tune. But pound for pound, the Saleen provided tune performs just as well as the KB provided tune. In fact, before KB changed to the 2.6 L from the 2.4 L size, the 2.3 L Saleen was out performing it.

If you have an automatic like me, you'll want to rebuild the trans.
Says who? There are a ton of people running superchargers that have not rebuilt their automatic transmissions. Are you referring to Don? He rebuilt his because he races his car every weekend that he has a chance to. Who else has "had" to rebuild their transmission? I can name quite a few people that are running low or mid 11s with superchargers and running the stock transmission with no issues at all.

If I had the money I would sale my Saleen S/C and get the KB......................
ST Motorsports .............
Oh, ok, I understand now.. You're part of the Adam Koolaide clan...

And like I have told you before, I would be disappointed too if I were only getting 410 out of a 10lb pulley. But don't blame the supercharger, you might want to look at a different tune ( or tuner ).

Old 12-07-2006, 04:44 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: GrabberOrange07

How has your experiance been with this unit? Any installation issues? Did you get a preset programmer for install? Dyno numbers?? Reliability issues? Price? You get the idea, spill the beans on the unit...
I have had mine for almost 10k miles. Absolutely no issues at all. And I abuse the hell out of it. So as for reliability, I would say no reliability issues what so ever. No installation issues either. Couple of things to keep in mind though. As MSgt46270 pointed out, the Saleen provided tune ( that you send your PCM to them to get ) is known to be lean. Personally I have an issue with sending the PCM out for a flash simply because if there is ever a need to return the system to stock you do not have your stock file to do it with.

Also, if you want to go larger than the stock 3.5 lb pulley, once you get over 400 or so horsepower it is going to be in your best interest to look at upgrading injectors, MAF, MAS, spark plugs, and depending on how much horsepower you want, also fuel system components. But that is going to be true to any power adder.

As for pricing, all I can say is shop around. And don't necessairly depend on any one place for everything. JDM seems to have the reputation when it comes to Saleen equipment and tuning. But some of their parts are just outrageously expensive. They have at least gotten competative on the pulley prices, but still way too expensive on belts, spark plugs, MAF, things like that. If you are going to rely on an internet tune instead of going to a local shop, I highly recommend their tunes. I personally do not use one, but know of several people that do and are making big horsepower with them.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:37 PM
cool06

I have had mine for about six months - I don't drive mine daily, but I look forward to making any excuse I can to drive it. I was very conservative with the standard pulley and Dynoed at 395 rwhp. i switched to 4:10 gears because 1st gear would really bog down if you started slow and then tried to accelerate.
Overall I am very happy with it. I have to upgrade the tires because it it a challenge keeping this thing on the road!

[IMG]local://upfiles/24914/793EBA191B4D45E9B6B72FD578930592.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-07-2006, 07:23 PM
MSgt46270
2nd Gear Member

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 12-07-2006, 09:05 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: cool06

I have had mine for about six months - I don't drive mine daily, but I look forward to making any excuse I can to drive it. I was very conservative with the standard pulley and Dynoed at 395 rwhp. i switched to 4:10 gears because 1st gear would really bog down if you started slow and then tried to accelerate.
Overall I am very happy with it. I have to upgrade the tires because it it a challenge keeping this thing on the road!

[IMG]local://upfiles/24914/793EBA191B4D45E9B6B72FD578930592.jpg[/IMG]

Love the DCF hood. Any clearance issues? Did you have to mod it in any way? I know someone with a Saleen and they bought the Steeda cowl hood and had to mod the hood to get it to clear the throttle body area. That is why I am asking. Also, you running stock motor mounts or shorter ones?
Old 12-07-2006, 09:21 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

hawgman F u c k you.

I'm out of this site, Admin you can Banned me too.
However will I sleep at night now.... Post the same thing over at m o d u l a r f o r d s and I will still counter with the same points. Only difference will be that there will be plenty of Saleen users ( and supercharger users ) there to back me on it. You think Thump has rebuilt his tranny? What about Slofoot? What about George? He isn't running a SC, but he is sure spraying the crap out of his car every pass and making more torque than almost any of our SCs are doing. Or anyone else that is running autos in the 11s with the exception of Don. And he choose to rebuild his becuase he knew he would be beating the hell out of it on the track every weekend and he already had the car tore down. It wasn't something that just had to be done because he installed a supercharger. Hell, for all I care, link this thread over there and get someone to come here and prove anything I said wrong. Bring over Don and Mark. They both still have accounts here.
You said "If you have an automatic like me, you'll want to rebuild the trans" - Wrong. Transmissions are NOT failing for supercharged cars.
You said "With the Saleen you have to move the battery to the trunk and put a chiller box there." - Again wrong. I doubled my reservoir size and postd a picture to prove it.
And as for your power, I still say if you are only getting 410 to the wheels with a 10lb pulley, either you don't have the right accompanying equiptment needed to draw the power, or your tune is crap. Prove me wrong with that! Hell, there are people running a 4lb pulley on a Saleen with an auto and getting nearly 400 to the wheels. So how is that the superchargers fault?

And don't think we don't think you won't come back to see if I replied. You are no different than anyone else on the internet that posts the "i'm outta here" threat. If you were really gone, you wouldn't be trying to flag down attention.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:37 PM
blackhorse05
I ♥ Acer

well one person said you need to relocate the battery, what the hell is he talking about , and the sallen s/c is loud, hell mine is so dam quiet you cant tell a thing. i love the saleen blower, yes i upgraded to 39lb injectors and got a 90 maf but with that i am pushing 422 to the groung on the stock pully, the 4 inch or whatever it is, you cant beat that. and i have read about hood clearance issues, well i have the steeda intake and intake tube, the blower, headers and i have no promblem closing my hood,and im still on factory motor mounts, unless my tuner was a nice guy and upgraded them for free then im not. the saleen blower is fricken clean looking as hell, personally i dont like the k/b, i think it is ugly as hell, and as for just power, on street tires i cant even punch it in 3rd without spiining. i would never have gone any other way, and iv got ten k miles on the bastard, and running better than ever. i did have 410 on stock injectors by the way, but theywere maxed so for safety issues i upgraded. and ill post my dyno sheet rom 2 days ago

[IMG]local://upfiles/13649/D54CF9B9B6844D9186F33B6D2437ED78.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Saleen Supercharger Owners Chime in...