Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurst Shifter Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 05:11 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Hurst Shifter Installed!

TinPony, I'll look to see if I still have them and will post if I do, but I might have thrown them away by now.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:35 PM
oldyeller

http://www.stangnet.com/Tech-Article...-061016-3.html

install instructions

took me 35 min. that long cause i could not find my 10 mm deep socket!!!!!! lock tite everything.WOW what a difference!! why won't ford put these on at the factory BEST MOD FOR THE MONEY
Old 12-11-2006, 06:57 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TinPony

can someone psot the installation instructions that come with the hurst shifter..?? please
Sorry man, I can't find the install instructions, I must have pitched them.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:05 PM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

Do you have the Billet competition Shifter or just the regular Hurst?
Old 12-11-2006, 07:18 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

The regular one. I had the Billet on on order for about 4 months and the delivery date kept getting pushed back. I finally got a response from Hurst which basically said that they didn't know when they were going to produce that one. I don't know if they have a patent problem or not since it's similar to the Steeda Tri-Ax. The one thing the billet one has that the regular one doesn't is the gear stops and you don't really need that with the Tremec 3650 tranny since it already has internal gear stops. That billet mounting arm might eliminate a little bit of flex under severe shifts, but I installed torque limiters to take car of that. The only way to really eliminate the shifter from flexing is by installing torque limiters or stiffer engine mounts. So basically, the billet one won't do anything more for you than the basic shifter.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:30 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

any pics
Old 12-11-2006, 07:36 PM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

ORIGINAL: 06hoss

The regular one. I had the Billet on on order for about 4 months and the delivery date kept getting pushed back. I finally got a response from Hurst which basically said that they didn't know when they were going to produce that one. I don't know if they have a patent problem or not since it's similar to the Steeda Tri-Ax. The one thing the billet one has that the regular one doesn't is the gear stops and you don't really need that with the Tremec 3650 tranny since it already has internal gear stops. That billet mounting arm might eliminate a little bit of flex under severe shifts, but I installed torque limiters to take car of that. The only way to really eliminate the shifter from flexing is by installing torque limiters or stiffer engine mounts. So basically, the billet one won't do anything more for you than the basic shifter.
Oh ok, because I was thinking about adding a short shifter to my endless list of mods haha.

How much did the torque converters cost and were they easy to install?
Old 12-11-2006, 08:12 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

Here is a pic of the Hurst shifter installed. I also have a pic of a sticker I just put on my driver's side mirror...I think I got that at Moss Mustang. You can find the torque limiters at this link http://www.cheperformance.com/cartge...pid=208&cid=15...you have to buy their K member brace too since the limiters attach to that. The limiters only work with the CHE K member brace so if you already have a BMR K member brace then they won't work with that.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48298/2A573364C5A6478392EB226E1393CA0A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/48298/467918F7CFBD4C978445604DE4E23EAC.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-11-2006, 08:16 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

Sorry, forget to tell you about the install of the torque limiters. They were pretty simple. Just simple bolt on stuff. The K member brace was just a little bit harder since the bolts are really big and it's a little tough to torque them down. I have to get under there again and check them since I didn't have a big enough socket for my torque wrench (so I used a couple of regular wrenches). I was torqueing them as hard as I could and I was actually pulling my body along on the ground when I was giving it all I had. LOL
Old 12-11-2006, 09:00 PM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

ORIGINAL: 06hoss

Sorry, forget to tell you about the install of the torque limiters. They were pretty simple. Just simple bolt on stuff. The K member brace was just a little bit harder since the bolts are really big and it's a little tough to torque them down. I have to get under there again and check them since I didn't have a big enough socket for my torque wrench (so I used a couple of regular wrenches). I was torqueing them as hard as I could and I was actually pulling my body along on the ground when I was giving it all I had. LOL

Ok thanks for the thorough responses. Ugh, I guess I am going to have to save more money for it now... [:@]

Quick Reply: Hurst Shifter Installed!