Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner concern

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 05:01 PM
06Vista
2nd Gear Member

Default Tuner concern

Hey guys,

I am getting ready to put on a C&L and SCT 93 tune from Evolution. I keep hearing bad things about all these "custom tunes", way to lean, pinging, etc.

My question is what are your experiences with any if these guys, Fred,Doug,Brent and more important the intake and tune?, Should I just send this thing back, and get a FRPP?, Last thing I want to do is blow up the motor.

-Regards
Old 12-11-2006, 05:43 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Tuner concern

Where the heck did you hear anything bad about these guy's custom tunes? There's a ton of guys (and gals) on this and other forums who will tell you that they were grinning from ear to ear when they got their setup from the vendors you mentioned.

I would avoid the FRPP unit. It's not particularly good, and it's inflexible. If you get later mods you can't adapt to suit them. On the other hand, if you get a tuner like the SCT, you can get new tunes or custom dyno tunes to suit changing mods.

I would keep exactly what you've got. You're in good hands with Evo.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:48 PM
Ragnar
1st Gear Member

Perhaps the pinging people refer to is they have done the CAI and retune while still on a tank of 87 octane. What I did was install my CAI and reflash with 87 octane tune. Then, once I burned off that tank (get as close to empty as you can) I filled up with 93 octane and reflashed with the 93 octane tune. Never had any pinging sound. Been like this for 9 months too.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:53 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

no no no.....Fred's tunes are awesome...the whole too lean contoversy was quickly refuted at a dyno I had done (Under 4.6 forum) Freds, BRents and Dougs...are all good...Fred is awesome to work with as well....
ORIGINAL: 06Vista

Hey guys,

I am getting ready to put on a C&L and SCT 93 tune from Evolution. I keep hearing bad things about all these "custom tunes", way to lean, pinging, etc.

My question is what are your experiences with any if these guys, Fred,Doug,Brent and more important the intake and tune?, Should I just send this thing back, and get a FRPP?, Last thing I want to do is blow up the motor.

-Regards
Old 12-11-2006, 05:54 PM
SNAFU
Tech Challenged Member

ORIGINAL: Ragnar

Perhaps the pinging people refer to is they have done the CAI and retune while still on a tank of 87 octane. What I did was install my CAI and reflash with 87 octane tune. Then, once I burned off that tank (get as close to empty as you can) I filled up with 93 octane and reflashed with the 93 octane tune. Never had any pinging sound. Been like this for 9 months too.
Not only that, but you should buy quality 93 octane gas, not gasoline from the discount retailers. I've always heard that 87 is the same no matter what station you buy from, but the premium grades are blended differently for each of the chains. If you're gonna spend the extra money for 93 octane gasoline, get good gas. Ask Fred, he'll tell ya the same thing.

(BTW, Fred allegedly got married over the weekend!)
Old 12-11-2006, 06:23 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

I would have to agree. I have both the Evolution and Brenspeed tunes and had positive experience with both. No pinging or anything like that. I have my favorite but you can't go wrong with either one. Good luck!
Old 12-11-2006, 07:57 PM
Ragnar
1st Gear Member

Agreed...avoid Gas $hitty. Get BP, Shell or Mobile. Costs the same but your car will thank you.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:25 PM
Rupp
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

Where the heck did you hear anything bad about these guy's custom tunes? There's a ton of guys (and gals) on this and other forums who will tell you that they were grinning from ear to ear when they got their setup from the vendors you mentioned.

I would avoid the FRPP unit. It's not particularly good, and it's inflexible. If you get later mods you can't adapt to suit them. On the other hand, if you get a tuner like the SCT, you can get new tunes or custom dyno tunes to suit changing mods.

I would keep exactly what you've got. You're in good hands with Evo.
CrazyAl,
There have been several post over the last week or so where users have had their car on a Dyno and they showed the Brenspeed tunes were running lean. I can see how one Dyno might get this wrong but there have been several posts on this.