Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio Deadening & Removing Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 03:16 PM
clearym
2nd Gear Member

Default Audio Deadening & Removing Seats?

I ordered second skin damplifier pro for under the carpet and need to remove the seats to install it. Has anybody taken the seats out yet? Any issues? I haven't even looked at it yet to see how the seats are fastened to the floor but I assume its consistent with older mustangs (four bolt pattern inwhich you have to remove grommet to get to the bolts).

Any input would be appreciated.

Old 12-13-2006, 03:20 PM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Audio Deadening & Removing Seats?

I haven't done the driver seat yet, don't know how different as it is the power seat, the passenger was 4 bolts. Easy in easy out. Also there was a connector that was easily disconnected and a yellow connector looking thing. I didn't disconnect the electrical part, I just removed the whole piece off the bracket. It just pops off.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:23 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

Its a piece of cake...

Keep us informed after your install, i am very curious about this MOD...

Does it reallly make it quieter...ie..
Old 12-13-2006, 04:16 PM
clearym
2nd Gear Member

I already used the standard damplifier in the trunk and under the back seat. It seems to be quieter by about 10-20% however, I think with the aftermarket mufflers the sound is traveling back through the pipes forward to the engine because it seems to be coming from underneath not from out back. Thats why I decided to use the damplifier pro (the pro version is like 30% thicker) under the carpet. Hopefully it helps a bit more. I know the low rumble of the flowmasters (or any low frequency sound for that matter) is hard to detect which direction its coming from so, this may not work but, for $100 and a couple hours of install I thought I'd give it a shot.

The only time I really care about the sound is at full cruizing speed or at the notorious 1500-2000 RPM drone. I like the roar under WOT.

I'm also doing it as a proactive measure to eliminate some noise and vibration when I put in LT headers and stiffer suspension in the springtime.

Old 12-13-2006, 05:34 PM
RICAKILLA
2nd Gear Member

im sure it will be a lot quieter, im actually thinking about doing that when i get all my audio together, as well as the ceiling and rest of the body.... Need to find a lightweight sound deadener tho i dont want to add too much weight.....
Old 12-13-2006, 05:37 PM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RICAKILLA

im sure it will be a lot quieter, im actually thinking about doing that when i get all my audio together, as well as the ceiling and rest of the body.... Need to find a lightweight sound deadener tho i dont want to add too much weight.....
I was thinking the same thing about the wieght I was looking into the Lizardskin spray stuff because of this. Alot a prep work, but may be worth it. Also they have a ceramic based stuff for heat absorption as well.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:15 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I took out my entire interior, except the dash, for my secondskin treatment.

The above posts are right, there's just 4 bolts that hold each seat down. Then there may or may not be a couple of electrical connectors under each seat.

A word of caution though: Your car may have airbags in the seats. If this is the case you need to de-activate the airbag system before you remove the seats, otherwise you could accidentially set one off....and that would be a very expensive and potentially dangerous situation.

The directions for doing this used to be posted here on the forum. I still have the PDFs, if anyone needs one, drop me an Email and I'll send it to you.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:23 PM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

Al, did you use the second skin liquid stuff or the foam/matt stuff?
Old 12-13-2006, 07:48 PM
ANBAUTO
4th Gear Member

I took out both front seats and i have the air bags in ea seat but i didnt deactivate the airbags i just undid all the plugs under each seat first. I did that to remove the leather and put on the katzkin. It was really simple.

On a side note has anyone with subs in the trunk experince the gas tanks shield rattle? ive got some much rattle its annoying.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:08 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ANBAUTO

I took out both front seats and i have the air bags in ea seat but i didnt deactivate the airbags i just undid all the plugs under each seat first. I did that to remove the leather and put on the katzkin. It was really simple.

On a side note has anyone with subs in the trunk experince the gas tanks shield rattle? ive got some much rattle its annoying.
yeah i hear that rattling too

sooo annoying!!

Quick Reply: Audio Deadening & Removing Seats?