Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Tube Headers

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 02:59 AM
jerseyblood
2nd Gear Member

Default Long Tube Headers

Ok guys I was going to hold off on buying headers for later time but now I am at a point where I have to do something soon. I had a dyno run the other day after installing my CAI and tune. I think I was played by the tuner (still not sure) but have a dyno sheet that is.... well just inconclusive. I have to get a good dyno run from another shop to see what is going on with my car. Instead of wasting money and doing a dyno now and another after I order my headers in a few months, I think I will just pull the trigger and order the headers now. This way I only spend money one more time for a dyno run.

I want to get long tube headers. Which do you guys like the best and how much am I looking at? Also If I plan on going with a supercharger later, I know there is some concerns with internals and such. When you guys say these blocks are good for about 400-450 HP is that at the crank or rear wheel? Im wondering this because if I put headers on now and get blown later I will most likely be over that. I cant see how the headers should matter on this issue though.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:59 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Long Tube Headers

Best longtubes based on my experience installing and dyno results: American Racing, Kooks, and Dynatech.

Cost: about $1100-1500 for a complete kit, depending on exactly what kit you buy and where you get it from. Of course, a kit with cats is going to cost more than one without. Cats are expensive due to the precious-metal catalyst inside.

Installation: A completent shop should be able to do this in no more than 5 hours.

The BLOCK is good for over 800 HP. The weak spot is the factory rods (especially), pistons, and crankshaft. Anyway, a stock motor is good to about 450 HP at the wheels.

If you're getting a blower, I wouldn't be super concerned about destroying the engine. You can always just lower your boost so that you are in a safe range.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:31 AM
jerseyblood
2nd Gear Member

I have the Ford Racing stingers axel backs. Can I order the headers now, bolt them to the stock setup and then add the X pipe later?
Old 12-15-2006, 11:52 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Long tubes and the midpipe (Either X- or H) are a matched set. You have to get parts from the same brand and install them at the same time. In other words, if you buy Kooks headers, then you need a Kooks X-pipe. And you have to install both at the same time. Typically the longtubes come in a kit with the headers and the midpipe for this reason.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:29 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

Love my SLP long tubes, high flow catted X pipe, and PowerFlo axlebacks!
Old 12-15-2006, 01:56 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

It Takes 5 Hours to install Long Tubes..? Thats Crazy..

Installation: A completent shop should be able to do this in no more than 5 hours.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:38 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

Best longtubes based on my experience installing and dyno results: American Racing, Kooks, and Dynatech.

Cost: about $1100-1500 for a complete kit, depending on exactly what kit you buy and where you get it from. Of course, a kit with cats is going to cost more than one without. Cats are expensive due to the precious-metal catalyst inside.

The BLOCK is good for over 800 HP. The weak spot is the factory rods (especially), pistons, and crankshaft. Anyway, a stock motor is good to about 450 HP at the wheels.

If you're getting a blower, I wouldn't be super concerned about destroying the engine. You can always just lower your boost so that you are in a safe range.
...you must not be familiar with bassani...
and I will second that it takes 5hrs for a competent shop to intall long tubes. The shop doing it for me is taking an entire day from open to close to do my motor-back exhaust, and considering its done at a flat rate waaaay below normal price, they sure aren't doing it to hype up the labor costs.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:10 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The first time I did it, it took 6 man-hours. That's five hours of my time plus about an hour of help from my buddy.

The last set I did took me a hair over four hours with about 30 min of help. This is with hand tools, jackstands, and a manual jack. A real shop with a lift should be able to do it at least that fast.

...then again, Dynatech's directions are REALLY good. If you haven't done headers on these cars before, I can see it taking longer without those directions.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:16 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

I am going with American Racing headers, i've seen the most gains from them and are a high quality brand. If you are going to be adding a blower make sure you go with a 1 3/4 setup, instead of the 1 5/8 that Kooks offers.

-Jeff
Old 12-15-2006, 05:24 PM
lethal gt

The Kooks are awsome,I installed them in my 07 in less than 5 hours. Worth every penny in my opinion. I had dynatech on my hemi ram and was also very impressed.

Quick Reply: Long Tube Headers