Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Drone Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 05:16 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Why Drone Sucks

Well i have the Borla Stingers and yes they do have a drone at the 1800-2k RPM range but i would not call it annoying and the car really is not even in that RPM range long enough for it to matter. I would suggest that you try the Borla Oval Mufflers if you want a nice sound with no drone they are alittle quieter muffler but still have a good sound. I have been behind my car when I was in my truck and when the wife takes off it shakes the truck and sounds beautiful. To each their own of course. Maybe you have what i call sensitive ears.

Richard
Old 12-16-2006, 05:56 PM
JGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD

Well i have the Borla Stingers and yes they do have a drone at the 1800-2k RPM range but i would not call it annoying and the car really is not even in that RPM range long enough for it to matter. I would suggest that you try the Borla Oval Mufflers if you want a nice sound with no drone they are alittle quieter muffler but still have a good sound. I have been behind my car when I was in my truck and when the wife takes off it shakes the truck and sounds beautiful. To each their own of course. Maybe you have what i call sensitive ears.

Richard
Yeah, I didn't find the Stingers that annoying either (Macs were) and they sound a lot better than the Bassani outside of the car, so I am probably switching back (plus, they look great from behind since you see no muffler). But again, the point of my post wasn't about whether or not drone is annoying or intolerable (this is completely a matter of opinon), simply that it is unfortunate since it really does drown out your exhaust note at times.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:05 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JGT

Yeah, I didn't find the Stingers that annoying either (Macs were) and they sound a lot better than the Bassani outside of the car, so I am probably switching back (plus, they look great from behind since you see no muffler). But again, the point of my post wasn't about whether or not drone is annoying or intolerable (this is completely a matter of opinon), simply that it is unfortunate since it really does drown out your exhaust note at times.
Yep I hear ya.

Richard
Old 12-17-2006, 04:09 PM
Agleon
2nd Gear Member

Does drone only apply to our cars?
Old 12-17-2006, 04:18 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

I just put on the GTA's and they do have nice 4" tips. They
do not however, sound any different than stock exhaust, imo.

ORIGINAL: JGT

ORIGINAL: bodyputtyless

I'm with you. I have the Ford Racing (Borla) axle backs. They drone at a certain rpm as well. As soon as I find an exhaust tip that looks as good as the Ford Racing 4 inch tips that are on the current exhaust, I'm switching back to the stock set up and the added tips.
I would check out the GTA (forgot the full name) exhaust before you go back to stock. I think they have a 4" tip and will be a little louder and deeper than stock (you obviously wanted louder and deeper since you gave the Stingers a try).
Old 12-17-2006, 04:42 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

And as stated , although the Borla Stingers do drone between 1800-2000k RPMs, I'm in that range for probably two seconds while the RPM is climbing or dropping. Can't see what the drone could be hiding in those two seconds. Now, if an exhaust droned all the time, through the whole RPM range, then yes, I'd be concerned at not being able to hear what's going on with the car. I don't even use the Shaker 90% of the time because I'm entertained at just listening to all the different things with the car. Of course, except for those two seconds...
Old 12-17-2006, 05:18 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Hello,
Depending on the aftermarket exhaust you choose! I have never heard drone on any other cars other than aftermarket because most people who drive a car the exhaust is designed to be quite quiet or subdued from the factory. Introducing aftermarket mods changes the sound and can result in some drone!
ORIGINAL: Agleon

Does drone also apply to other cars as well?
Old 12-17-2006, 07:50 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Agleon

Does drone only apply to our cars?
absolutely not. Certain aftermarket mufflers and exhausts have caused "drone" in vehicles since day one. Go to the GTO, MoPar, Caddy boards....they are all talking about drone or lack thereof in aftermarket exhausts.....
Old 12-17-2006, 10:29 PM
Agleon
2nd Gear Member

In that case can a GTI have drone? I'm only asking because if a GTI can suffer from drone then I now know what drone is.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:30 PM
sandy
2nd Gear Member

I just installed my GTAs. Big difference from stock; and I love 'em! On the highway, I've noticed the increased sound from the exhaust, but I don't consider that "drone". I consider it stang power unveiled. I keep seeing reference to Borlas when talking about the GTAs. Does anyone know for sure if they're Borlas? Can anybody give me any sites that descibe the GTAs? thanks

Quick Reply: Why Drone Sucks