Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 07:42 AM
ATNGRBR
1st Gear Member

Default Newbie Question

I'm planning on getting an 07 GT in the spring but would like to go with an automatic. What options do I have to get similar performance to the manual but still retain the everyday driveability?

Thanks
Old 12-16-2006, 08:47 AM
nascarjunkie1
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Newbie Question

Welcome to the Forum!!!
Old 12-16-2006, 10:23 AM
Tri C
1st Gear Member

Why would you want to go slower?
Old 12-16-2006, 10:35 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: Tri C

Why would you want to go slower?
Nice! [&:]

To the original poster - welcome to MF! I have a 2005 4.0L/auto vert and a 2006 4.0L/5-spd coupe. When I had a tune/CAI on the auto, it shifted MUCH better. Very happy with it. The 5-spd is more fun to drive, but the auto shouldn't be discounted. You should drive both before deciding, that way you won't have any regrets.

Bill Jr.
28HopUp

Old 12-16-2006, 10:37 AM
PennState
6th Gear Member

yeah stick is sooo much more fun!
Old 12-16-2006, 11:06 AM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

I had the same dilema when purchasing my O6. Been a manual fan all my life but given where I live and traffic I looked at the automatic. Still a manual fan but went with the auto as I found the exact car I wanted and the only option missing was the 5sp. Stock the auto to me was a bit sluggish so thanks to the information on this forum I went with the CAI/Tune and 3.73 gears and I am not disappointed. It's a completely different car (after the tune) as far as shifting as I can consistently chirp the tires on 1-2 and 2-3 shifts now.

Good luck!
Old 12-16-2006, 11:32 AM
ATNGRBR
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the warm welcome! I have also owned manual cars for most of my life but I wanted something easier to drive. I may have to get a stick because I definately want this car to perform.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:48 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums!!

I have a manual, and love it. I only drive about 10 miles a day or so, with no freeway....

Before I bought, I test drove an auto, and really wasn't impressed. However, a couple of weeks ago, I have the opportunity to drive a Shelby GT-H, which of course has an automatic.....If I had been able to drive that before I bought, I may have gone the other way. I was very surprised with the performance with the Ford Racing CAI and tune. It was bit sluggish from a dig, but I believe that could be tuned out. After all, it is a rental.. But beyond that, the shift points were very firm and seamless. I have never driven an auto that felt that good.

You may want to consider spending the 100 or so bucks to rent one for a day, and give it a go.....

Mike
Old 12-16-2006, 12:09 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ATNGRBR

I'm planning on getting an 07 GT in the spring but would like to go with an automatic. What options do I have to get similar performance to the manual but still retain the everyday driveability?

Thanks
I love my auto it is very fast. When I read on this forum how much of a dog the auto is I can't believe they are talking about the same car. I don't have a tune by the way. I do have a Granatelli CAI though. I guess I'm just lucky, hey!
Old 12-16-2006, 01:24 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

WELCOME, WELCOME!!! [sm=smiley31.gif] I say stay with the stick!!! Especially with our stangs!!!!

Quick Reply: Newbie Question