Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FOR ALL THOSE CONSIDERING 20'S...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 12:47 PM
jay0heavenly
3rd Gear Member

Default FOR ALL THOSE CONSIDERING 20'S...

Whats up my mustang fam... Just a couple of observations for all those considering 20's. I just took my 20 inch Foose wheels off and put the factory 18 inch Ford Racing Bullits for the winter time... Here's what I got...

1. They weigh EXACTLY THE SAME with the tires and evrerything on them. I weighed them both last night when I was doing the switch and actually the 18's might be a half of a pound heavier.

2. I DID NOT FEEL ANY DIFFERENCE in acceleration AT ALL. The car took off just like it does with the 20's.

3. The ride quality is better, but not by much. It is most improved on larger potholes but the ride with the 20's is pretty close to that of the 18's. The nod goes to the 18's on this though, because I don't have to worry about potholes as much as I did before.

So.... 20 inch rims are by no means a performance mod, BUT they do perform well. For anybody that says your acceleration will go down anything noticeably probably hasn't driven in both. Just make sure:

1. DO NOT BUY CHEAP TIRES... I have the toyo proxes and they are real good, when those wear out I'm going for the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's but they are around a 1200 for 4 tires so they arent cheap, but in my limited experience, they're the best. Both give very comfortable ride (all things considered) and take bumps very well.

2. DO NOT BUY HEAVY 20's. Know what you are buying. You CAN get some 20's that weigh 25 pounds more per wheel and you WILL feel a performance drop, so keep that in mind.

Just some food for thought for anybody in the valley of decision... Hope this helps, oh and please don't respond with anything negative, I'm not trying to start a war here, just give some objective observations.[8D]

In the spring I'm putting on the Steeda Ultra lites and the Tokicko D-specs so I'll have my baby riding like a BMW M5! (okay thats a bit much, but it'll be nice)
Old 12-20-2006, 01:00 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: FOR ALL THOSE CONSIDERING 20'S...

Great post, well said!!! My thoughts exactly!!!

I know that my 20's weight less than 25 lbs. I just cant remember what the guy said they weighed. I also have Toyo tires too. I dont have any reservations about running 20's and dont plan to give them up anytime soon!
Old 12-20-2006, 01:12 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

I concur

Richard
Old 12-20-2006, 01:46 PM
Newbreedgt05
3rd Gear Member

That's good to hear! I got a set of 20" razors that are going on in the spring. I plan on getting Nitto 555's for them.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 12-20-2006, 02:10 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

A couple of things:

First off, what Jay said about the wheel weight is important to note. Some 20's are very heavy, and some are not. Be careful.

Second, just becasue the 20" wheel/tire combo weighs the same as the 18" doesn't mean their performance is identical. The 20" wheel carries it's weight further out from the center. That means that pound-for-pound it will have more intertia. You may remember a classic demonstration from physics class: a solid disc and a hollow ring of the same weight and the same diameter are compared. The ring has higher inertia for this reason, despite both are the same diameter and the same static weight.

Then again, if you don't feel the difference, who cares? 20's are a visual mod anyway. If you like them, go for it.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:37 PM
jay0heavenly
3rd Gear Member

^yeah I agree with you Al[8D] I wouldn't drag in the 20's, but for street driving you won't be dissapointed IMO.

I was a political science major in college so I don't know too much about physics so I can't follow you on that argument [&:], I'll take your word for it...lol. But it makes sense, the performance is probably not identical, but its nothing that you will be able to feel.

Oh and NEWBREEDGT, from what I've heard the Nitto 555's are good tires, but if I were you I'd do a post to get feedback from people with personal experience with those tires before I bought anything.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:15 PM
StartMeUp
1st Gear Member

Great example CrazyAl! Here's another oneto try while wasting time at work. Take a seat in your desk chair and put your arms straight out. Now, havea coworker give you a spin. Once in motion, pull your arms into your body and notice what happens. Have fun and don't let the boss catch you!
Old 12-21-2006, 02:58 AM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

Anyone know how much the 20' American Racing Rogues weigh? I never weighed mine before I put them on. I'm running with Toyo Proxes T1R. Nice tires!

~Fred
Old 12-21-2006, 03:41 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I agree 100% and great rims (20") as well take care!
ORIGINAL: jay0heavenly

Whats up my mustang fam... Just a couple of observations for all those considering 20's. I just took my 20 inch Foose wheels off and put the factory 18 inch Ford Racing Bullits for the winter time... Here's what I got...

1. They weigh EXACTLY THE SAME with the tires and evrerything on them. I weighed them both last night when I was doing the switch and actually the 18's might be a half of a pound heavier.

2. I DID NOT FEEL ANY DIFFERENCE in acceleration AT ALL. The car took off just like it does with the 20's.

3. The ride quality is better, but not by much. It is most improved on larger potholes but the ride with the 20's is pretty close to that of the 18's. The nod goes to the 18's on this though, because I don't have to worry about potholes as much as I did before.

So.... 20 inch rims are by no means a performance mod, BUT they do perform well. For anybody that says your acceleration will go down anything noticeably probably hasn't driven in both. Just make sure:

1. DO NOT BUY CHEAP TIRES... I have the toyo proxes and they are real good, when those wear out I'm going for the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's but they are around a 1200 for 4 tires so they arent cheap, but in my limited experience, they're the best. Both give very comfortable ride (all things considered) and take bumps very well.

2. DO NOT BUY HEAVY 20's. Know what you are buying. You CAN get some 20's that weigh 25 pounds more per wheel and you WILL feel a performance drop, so keep that in mind.

Just some food for thought for anybody in the valley of decision... Hope this helps, oh and please don't respond with anything negative, I'm not trying to start a war here, just give some objective observations.[8D]

In the spring I'm putting on the Steeda Ultra lites and the Tokicko D-specs so I'll have my baby riding like a BMW M5! (okay thats a bit much, but it'll be nice)
Old 12-21-2006, 04:01 AM
BlackoutStang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FredTT

Anyone know how much the 20' American Racing Rogues weigh? I never weighed mine before I put them on. I'm running with Toyo Proxes T1R. Nice tires!

~Fred
You honestly don't want to know... I'm running 20" AR Rouges with Toyo's too... bought mounted/balanced with 255(f)/295(r) for under $2k...

Let's just say weight wise, they weren't exactly ultralites... That might qualify for understatement of the year.

Quick Reply: FOR ALL THOSE CONSIDERING 20'S...