Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impressed by a C6 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 03:41 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Impressed by a C6 Corvette

ORIGINAL: Sprzout

Must've been just a stock C6, then, and not the Z06. If it had been, you quite literally would have been a speck in the guy's mirror, even with your mods.

I'm guessing that you're probably pushing what, 375 hp, with the mods that you've got?

A stock Corvette is running 400 hp, is going to be about 200 lbs lighter than the Mustang, and probably has the 3.42 rear end in it, if it's a manual...Which means that yeah, you'd get the jump on him at the start, but once he hits the higher speeds, it's all over...And if it was the Z06? He would have been toying with you, with a 505 hp motor...

I'm just trying to be realistic. I mean, when Road & Track is comparing the 2006 Z06 with the Dodge Viper, and saying that it's every bit as good, well...Chevy's doing something right with the Corvette.

I've always tried to judge my opponents when I'm going to race, have an idea what the gearing, HP, etc. is stock, and then figure out if they might've modded the car at all...
I'm not trying to be a bubble buster here, but I doubt this guy got an extra 75hp from the mods he has. That would be a very generous increase, but I suppose it's possible. The standard C6 runs side by side with theShelby and should beat a GT in every aspect of performance including handling, braking, top speed and acceleration. It's a bad **** and it will take forced induction to beat him on the highway. A nice set of slicks with the gears you have may allow you to get him in the 1320. Take advantage of that live axle and put nothing but slicks ordrag radials on the back
Old 12-24-2006, 03:52 PM
Caution
5th Gear Member

I'll give you that -- a supercharged stang will take the C6.... now a Z06 -- I think that it will give it a run for it's money and a much closer race. Beat it... I dunno. Maybe if there was other mods to compliment the SC then yeah it'll win. A Z06 does the 1/4 in about mid 11's stock -- def be a good race for you. I'm on the side of the stang... hope you find one at the track and beat it.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:58 PM
gatkins94
2nd Gear Member

one thing I would say though.....you could supercharge your car, and you STILL won't have the same $$$ in it as the corvette, and you could tack another $15k if you go the Z06 route. You're looking at the GT500 money then. So I would be OK if a $40,000+ car were to outrun me.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:45 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: raybroussard

Well I was tooling around with a new C6 corvette this evening (mods unknown) and this guy went full throttle while we were on a two lane road and he was already in front of me when we started. Well after about 80 or so he started to walk away from me pretty good. This is the first time a car has pulled on me since I bought my car about 8 months ago. I wonder what it takes to get a N/A 05+ GT to run with a C6,I'll betthat this guy I was racing assumed I would turn into a speck in his mirror right away. Maybe when the newFAST intake system comes out I can close in this gap a little more my car vs. these new Vettes.

opps, I thought I was posting this in the street strip section, sorry moderators!

this race surprises me. I raced one when I had fewer mods than you and he jumped half a car, then stayed right there from 40 all the way to 95. It was a yellow manual without any passengers.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:31 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shaners90lxhatch

ORIGINAL: Sprzout

Must've been just a stock C6, then, and not the Z06. If it had been, you quite literally would have been a speck in the guy's mirror, even with your mods.

I'm guessing that you're probably pushing what, 375 hp, with the mods that you've got?

A stock Corvette is running 400 hp, is going to be about 200 lbs lighter than the Mustang, and probably has the 3.42 rear end in it, if it's a manual...Which means that yeah, you'd get the jump on him at the start, but once he hits the higher speeds, it's all over...And if it was the Z06? He would have been toying with you, with a 505 hp motor...

I'm just trying to be realistic. I mean, when Road & Track is comparing the 2006 Z06 with the Dodge Viper, and saying that it's every bit as good, well...Chevy's doing something right with the Corvette.

I've always tried to judge my opponents when I'm going to race, have an idea what the gearing, HP, etc. is stock, and then figure out if they might've modded the car at all...
I'm not trying to be a bubble buster here, but I doubt this guy got an extra 75hp from the mods he has. That would be a very generous increase, but I suppose it's possible. The standard C6 runs side by side with theShelby and should beat a GT in every aspect of performance including handling, braking, top speed and acceleration. It's a bad **** and it will take forced induction to beat him on the highway. A nice set of slicks with the gears you have may allow you to get him in the 1320. Take advantage of that live axle and put nothing but slicks ordrag radials on the back
I was trying to be a little generous as well, not knowing how well the 4.6L engines respond to mods. I just remember my days of tuning 4 bangers, and deciding that I wanted something that would be RESPECTED. I also have a '74 Corvette, so I've had to hear the Vette guys saying how they slam Fords, etc...Me, I respect both cars, and I know that it's not always about who's got the most HP under the hood, but who's got the better stick on the road, who's got the better gearing, and who's the better driver.

And yes, I agree, if it were a Z06, the only Mustang I'd put money ontaking it would be the Shelby GT500...It would eat a modded GT for lunch, especially if it's not supercharged.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:20 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Actually the Shelby GT500 didn't fare very well versus a stock C6 in one of the big car mags. Look for Car and Driver
2006 Chevrolet Corvette vs. 2007 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 - Comparison Tests
The article describes the GT500 as being porky at around 3900 pounds. That's just too much weight to concede to a regular C6 (about 600 pounds lighter), even with 500 crank horse. Not my words or opinions,just readthe article and pretty much all sources give the GT500 a 1/4 mile time of around 12.7 to 12.9. Fast but not that fast for having 500 crank horse.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:27 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Yup the C6 Vette has outrun the Shelby in EVERY mag I have read.
Wish it did'nt but it does.
Let's face it they are two different kind of cars. The Stang is a Musclecar and while some would say the vette is... it is NOT.
Vette's are pure sportscars. Lighter... AND more powerfull.

My dad has an 07 and they are FAST. I think vette's are for older guys tho.
But gotta give credit where credit is due.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:07 AM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

Invest in some lca's and lca brackets, that will help you launch.